Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS series on the lingering love for Vinyl,VHS and cassettes

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/v/47oBPjT5klY

Very nice....... ANALOGUE MEDIA IS (AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN) MUCH BETTER!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

In some cases I agree, but not sure I agree that VHS is better

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

I don't buy it for cassettes, 8 tracks, VHS or any other consumer grade tape. products.  Tape may be fine for studio masters, but the consumer grade technology doesn't even come close.

Vinyl on the other hand has a special feel to it.  Since it's actually vibrations (grooves) amplified, you tend to 'feel' the music as much as hear it.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Right. Film is fantastic, though unrealistic to have movies on film in the home. I just rather have my movies on blu-ray mastered from film. There just is no benefit to consumer tape products.

#5 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hey they forgot Laser Disc :grin:

HR44-700, HR22-700, HR21-200, SWM16

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

I still operate my Sony Stereo Cassette Deck to listen to my comedy albums on cassette.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

MORMON TABERNACLE CHOIR, DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON ANNOUNCE WORLDWIDE CD RELEASE
Choir to Record with Renowned Welsh Baritone, Bryn Terfel

30 April 2013 – "The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Deutsche Grammophon, one of the leading classical recording labels in the world, announced today that they will collaborate on a recording to be released on the Deutsche Grammophon label. The CD, slated for release worldwide in September 2013, will feature the Choir, its companion ensemble, the Orchestra at Temple Square, and internationally-acclaimed baritone, Bryn Terfel......"

"The recording will take place in six recording sessions in the Salt Lake Tabernacle during the week of May 6. Mr. Terfel will journey to Utah on his way back from performances in Australia and New Zealand. Grammy-award winning sound engineers for both the Choir and Deutsche Grammophon will collaborate to produce the CD recording."

Interesting to note here............the recording sessions took place just days after completion of the installation of the Tabernacle's new ANALOG AUDIO CONSOLE. It seems that the purists still prefer the sound of analog, and so everything from the microphones, right up to the tape machine's A-D Converters, is still analog.

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

I still operate my Sony Stereo Cassette Deck to listen to my comedy albums on cassette.

I still have one and plenty of tapes, but I also have several that stretched and/or broke.  The tape is too thin and narrow.

#9 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

VHS never was any good, now vinyl I miss. My kids found our old records and wanted to know where the big CDplayer was..

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#10 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

I LOVE vhs,in my opinion there is nothing better!

:)

#11 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,210 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Dude, you certainly have lowered expectations, but good for you, anyway. :rolleyes:

Give me your address and I'll send all my old VHS tapes to you.

• sigma1914 likes this

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#12 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

We finally retired our 27" Sony SD set with a 39" HDTV.  We had a Sony VHS/DVD player connected to the Sony and a hooked it up to the new set.  Bye bye combo player.  The Mrs took one look at one of her store bought VHS movies and it rated a WAF of 0.  We bought a BluRay player the next weekend.  We will be replacing her VHS collection with BluRay discs.

Laser Disc.  I connected my Pioneer LD player to my Samy 46" DLP and yuck, back to the barn it went.  Granted, it isn't the latest LD player, it best connection option is S-Video

That being said, my sister in law has a DVD recorder/VHS combo player with a digital OTA tuner.  If I remember correctly, unlike our old combo player that was S-video DVD only and VHS to composite, hers played VHS over the HDMI output.  Perhaps VHS over HDMI might look ok, over composite it looks awful.

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

How in the world is a VHS better than a Blu-Ray, especially with the HD audio?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

One of the things I get a kick out of at Flea Markets is the tables or racks of VHS tapes covered with so much dust you can't read the titles.  Even at .50 or 3 for a buck, they can't sell them.

Edited by SayWhat?, 20 May 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Maybe for something that isn't available on DVD or another format, though those are harder to come by. Even Leonard Part 6 is on DVD.

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,572 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

<< Snipped bits out >>

Interesting to note here............the recording sessions took place just days after completion of the installation of the Tabernacle's new ANALOG AUDIO CONSOLE. It seems that the purists still prefer the sound of analog, and so everything from the microphones, right up to the tape machine's A-D Converters, is still analog.

Well, microphones are analog, as are speakers. What goes on in between is varied and can be extensive. Some purists can't even tell between good analog and good digital. Others can, and personal preferences are just fine. But to say one is always better than the other is horse pucky. (not that you have said that, afaik.)

If I had a budget to spend $250,000 on audio gear, I am not sure I'd care to go back to analog. Better digital, yes. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

VHS never was any good, now vinyl I miss. My kids found our old records and wanted to know where the big CDplayer was..

If you really missed it, there would be a functioning turntable connected to a sound system and your records would be in plain sight. I'm guessing that other projects and demands take precedence and when it comes to music listening you find other methods, like streaming, digital audio stations from your pay TV provider, or files stored on a portable music player, to be a more than adequate solution. And unlike the shut-in fetishists, you'd be in agreement with the general populace. 

Truth be told, it's been awhile since I've bought any physical music formats, vinyl or CD, probably when The Beatles Mono Box on CD came out in Sept. 2009. I had a friend call me last Fall and ask if I wanted to go music shopping and I said OK. It was depressing! Used shop where everything smelled like an attic and it felt like a funeral home. Not my idea of a good time. 

That trailer reminded me of the record collector scene in "Ghost World".

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#18 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Give me your address and I'll send all my old VHS tapes to you.

Thank you Nick,what movies do ya have buddy??

How in the world is a VHS better than a Blu-Ray, especially with the HD audio?

Because it is NATURAL AUDIO :)

#19 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

If you really missed it, there would be a functioning turntable connected to a sound system and your records would be in plain sight.

That's exactly what I have.

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,572 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Because it is NATURAL AUDIO :)

Natural audio is live, real time, unprocessed music such as found in symphonic halls or acoustic concerts. Everything else, even vinyl or hard rubber disks, rock bands, most concerts, have a greater or lesser degree of processing than digital/digital.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall