Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS series on the lingering love for Vinyl,VHS and cassettes

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

If *I* had $250K to spend on an audio system, I *wouldn't*.  The Law of Diminishing Returns.  Once you get past a certain point, you're just throwing money at something and (especially once you hit age 40) you would strain to hear any difference.

I'd take the remaining amount (still well into 6 figures) and build a proper home theater.  With that kind of budget, I could even afford one of those 4K systems that's just coming out now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

If you really missed it, there would be a functioning turntable connected to a sound system and your records would be in plain sight.

That's exactly what I have.

Good for you, but it was PCampbell that I quoted.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,335 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:02 AM

Thank you Nick,what movies do ya have buddy??

Because it is NATURAL AUDIO :)

I think even among audiophiles that prefer vacuum tubes and record players, you'd be in the minority.

#24 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thank you Nick,what movies do ya have buddy??

Because it is NATURAL AUDIO :)

When a VHS can match the quality of Pixar BluRay, let me know.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#25 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,335 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

And I think intent of the filmmaker is important as well, with the venue in mind. The Director, Cinematographer, Composer, Sound Editor etc do not intend for their film to be viewed on VHS. Blu-Ray is the closest the average person can get in the home to the original intent of the maker. It's a bit more murky for audio. Mozart did not write his music for home listening, but if his music was only heard in a concert hall, it would be a shame.

#26 OFFLINE   thxultra

thxultra

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Can't see any use for VHS tapes excpet in the case of movies that they changed when they brought them to Blu-Ray ie Star wars special editions vs origionals. From a quality aspect there is no compareison between lossless 24bit audio and crummy VHS tape audio. Same with Cassettes they sound awful. I can see a arguement for vynl records although I'm hard pressed to say they sound any better then uncompressed 24bit 192khz flac files off HD Tracks.

• bidger likes this

#27 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

I can see a arguement for vynl records although I'm hard pressed to say they sound any better then uncompressed 24bit 192khz flac files off HD Tracks.

Exactly, and you don't have to deal with surface noise and motor rumble.

• thxultra likes this

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...