Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Direct Tv HD Upgrade- Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spummerr

spummerr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Right now I have a Standard definition Direct tv box.

Bought a HD tv,

Called Direct tv to upgrade to a regular HD box, They said I need a different antenna to. Fine i said, Book the install.

Installer arrives, he looks at the present dish, and says the HD dish won't work- tree blockage. Now I have some trees, but I get a 90 plus signal now. I asked the guy if he was sure? He said no place on the roof would work. But he only saw the front of the house??

Got the "I've been doing this for 6 years, etc etc. Guy was a ding dong.

He never went on the roof to look at the view, I know it's different from ground view. He did have something that looked like a phone & said it locates the sattelites? I just didn't trust this guy. Got a bad feeling from the start.

My question- Shouldn't i be able to get HD if my present signal is so strong?

I wasn't happy at all with this guy, Kept bitching he gets paid by the job, not the hour. & how far he had to drive. Also said he had to run 4 cables into the house. I said huh? I only have 1 tv. ??

I'm calling Direct tv back on Monday, just wondering what others think?

Edited by spummerr, 18 May 2013 - 09:45 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

The SD dish looks at the 101 satelitte only.  The HD dish looks at 99-101-103, and depending on location and package could look at 99-101-103, and 110, and 119.  So you need at least 4 degrees of opening, 2 degrees on either side of your current dish alignment.  He may very well be correct.  He was probably using a dish pointer app on his phone that helsp find if you have LOS between your trees.

#3 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Sounds like a mix of issues. Technically, the installers do carry a signal meter which accurately displays the available signal. Additionally, it is entirely possible to receive a good SD signal from the corresponding satellite, since the HD satellites are in a different location. Maybe the HD signal was not good enough to guaranty quality signal. Installers are limited by Quality Assurance guidelines, which means that even if an install is physically possible, it could fail a review by QA follow-up technician. If reviewed by Quality Assurance and the install fails for obvious reasons (like bad signal), it could lead to termination.

On the other hand, maybe he was having a bad day. Maybe the install was possible with some hard work, and he was not providing excellent customer service. If this is the case, best call 800-531-5000 and mention your concerns, then schedule another appointment..my guess is the install was cancelled, but the order should still be pending..request a supervisor or senior tech come out to finish the job.

You may not have a good signal from the roof, but a pole mount option (in the ground) might be possible. Typically, that option is $75..however, if NLOS (no-line-of-sight) from the roof, then the option is free. Keep in mind, that means up to 20 feet from the residence. Beyond that, it's $1 per foot for additional distance (includes cable and trenching).

For do-it-yourself results, go to http://dishpointer.com. The site allows you to find out what kind of signal is available at your location. Type in your address, then go to the drop-down list and find the DirecTV SL3 dish (it's way down the list) and then the DirecTV 3 LNB and DirecTV 5 LNB dish (just below it)..on the map, click 'Show Obstacle' checkbox.

Hope this helps!

Good luck

-=K=-

PS: you can call 7 days per week..even Sunday..

Edited by kaminar, 18 May 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

Well, a couple things.

1. You always have the right to call Directv and have a 2nd opinion from a 2nd tech.  I'm not sure what part of the country your in, but down here, we need 95+ on the 101 to even pass the software interlocks on the IRD's and the HD stuff is much less tolerant to pushing through a little tree where the basic stuff will push through a little branch here or there.

2. The thing on his phone was Dishpointer's app, it's an ap that uses GPS and the internal compass of the phone to locate the direction and elevation of the sats, and it's used by techs to determine tree coverage and hard structure obstructions.

3. No legit tech is going to get on your roof any more, we are not allowed off our ladders. Also, no signal meter on the planet is going to work until the dish is built, mounted, and aimed... at which point, you'd better be damn sure at a tech you have LOS, otherwise, it's an instant damage claim when i have to tell you that I don't have adequate LOS here, and I have to cancel your install, and leave the dish mount bolted to your roof.  Sorry...

4. While it may be you had a lazy tech that didn't want to make a difficult cable run to get where he needed to go, Or, by the time he got the dish where it needed to be, got the cable to the grounding point, and then back around to the IRD AND stay within the required cable run limits it was out of spec. (per spec it is 150 feet total by the way) it's more likely that it just wasn't going to happen.  Once you've been doing this long enough, you can get a VERY good feel for a job from your drivers seat. Sometimes a hole in the trees presents itself upon closer examination, but more often than not,.....

It may not give the customer that just got told 'No' the warm fuzzies, but in a pay for performance industry once i decide your not going in it's to my best advantage to get you off my books as fast as possible so i can get onto the next job that will pay.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,938 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

..request a supervisor or senior tech come out to finish the job.

I love these notes that no ones pays attention to….

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   spummerr

spummerr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the replies. There's no cable to run since it's already there. It's as simple as can be. Just swap out the dish.

Like i say, from the beginning I had a bad feeling with this guy. No confidence in him. 

I'll call again & see what happens.

Our new tv looks terrible in standard def. It's a 39" Vizio.  Bought it at Costco, so I have 90 days to return or exchange it if need be.

Edited by spummerr, 19 May 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

You could also use the Dishpointer app and see if what the 1st tech found was correct, that you may not have LOS for HD. It looks like you kind of glazed over the posts that show all the possible valid reasons you may not be able to get HD at your new location and just focused on "How bad you thought the tech was"

#8 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

spummerr, what is your zip code? It's possible that you are in an area that requires reception from the 119 satellite even if you have an old dish that only receives from 101. Can you post a picture from behind your dish?

Edited by studechip, 20 May 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   spummerr

spummerr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

UPDATE-  I had a Direct TV Supervisor come out & look at the setup. First thing he did was go up on the roof and look at the current Dish. He did a bunch of checking etc.

He said 1 satellite might have trouble with a tree. He didn't know if it would or would not work.  In the end he decided it's best not to try it..

I was ok with that. This guy knew his stuff, I felt much better talking to him.

I said to him I thought you guys couldn't go on the roof? He looked at me surprised and said "why not?"  I said the other guy wouldn't do it. He had no idea why he said that.

He also came in the house and hooked  up the tv using cables & the coax cable from the dish. The picture greatly improved. I'm much more pleased with the picture than befor.

He did mention Dish Network satellites would work fine at the house, lol  But he "never said that" lol  WINK. Right now I have no reason to change companies.

Thanks to all who replied. Very helpful

Edited by spummerr, 20 May 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,938 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Wow, is unfortunate that you wont be able to get HD. bummer…

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

So the 1st tech that was out wasnt that far off as you thought, but now you know.

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Right now I have a Standard definition Direct tv box.

Bought a HD tv,

Called Direct tv to upgrade to a regular HD box, They said I need a different antenna to. Fine i said, Book the install.

Installer arrives, he looks at the present dish, and says the HD dish won't work- tree blockage. Now I have some trees, but I get a 90 plus signal now. I asked the guy if he was sure? He said no place on the roof would work. But he only saw the front of the house??

Got the "I've been doing this for 6 years, etc etc. Guy was a ding dong.

He never went on the roof to look at the view, I know it's different from ground view. He did have something that looked like a phone & said it locates the sattelites? I just didn't trust this guy. Got a bad feeling from the start.

My question- Shouldn't i be able to get HD if my present signal is so strong?

I wasn't happy at all with this guy, Kept bitching he gets paid by the job, not the hour. & how far he had to drive. Also said he had to run 4 cables into the house. I said huh? I only have 1 tv. ??

I'm calling Direct tv back on Monday, just wondering what others think?

Have you given any thought to topping the tree that is causing the problem ?

I did that several years ago and the tree is still not a problem for my signal today.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   spummerr

spummerr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

The tree is a HUGE Poplar tree 50 some years old. No ladder would reach it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...