Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Info on channel 325

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

I just tuned to channel 325 it says my my rca receiver will soon be obsolete and no longer function. It says I can get a free upgrade, just wondering why they want to force me to get a new receiver? Is it possable I might be forced into another 2 year contract?

• Dude111 likes this

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 897 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

There are quite a few threads about this, but it is free and it will not put you in a 24 month agreement (if you take the like for like MPG replacement). It will not change your bill. DirecTV is shutting off the old Master Program Guide to free up bandwidth on the satellites for other uses, more channels, etc.

Here's a thread: 

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#3 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for the link.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

I just went through this exercise.  I got a 4 year old D12 (but it does work and it was free).  But you might run into an uninformed CSR so be careful!!  Keep saying you want to do the "MPG SWAP".  DO NOT say you want a new receiver or you want to activate an additional receiver!!

If it is done right you will get a free leased receiver with no addition to your commitment (if you have one) or no additional commitment if you don't.  Be sure to call back a week after you activate your replacement receiver to MAKE SURE you don't have a new (or additional) commitment!

They will also make a big deal about mailing back your old access card but I never got an envelope to do this so forget about it.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   tortured

tortured

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

There are quite a few threads about this, but it is free and it will not put you in a 24 month agreement (if you take the like for like MPG replacement). It will not change your bill. DirecTV is shutting off the old Master Program Guide to free up bandwidth on the satellites for other uses, more channels, etc.

Here's a thread: 

So, does that mean I will no longer have an on-screen guide if I want to keep my Hughes E-2 receiver once the MPG is discarded?

#6 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 897 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

So, does that mean I will no longer have an on-screen guide if I want to keep my Hughes E-2 receiver once the MPG is discarded?

It just won't work. Without a guide it won't know what channels it can tune to. It will be a paperweight.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#7 OFFLINE   tortured

tortured

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

It just won't work. Without a guide it won't know what channels it can tune to. It will be a paperweight.

OK, thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

I dunno if thats entirely true!!!

Some channels I have just say "REGULAR SCHEDULE",i believe this is what you will see if they drop ALL CHANNELS from the current guide.. (The program guide has NOTHING TO DO with what the reciever finds it can tune to,its just info on whats on said channels (I think anyway))

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,880 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

I am not sure either, but what I DO know is that if you reboot a receiver and remove the satellite cable (to prevent the receiver from acquiring its guide data) then connect the receiver feed again.  you are not able to tune to any channel….

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 897 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Some channels I have just say "REGULAR SCHEDULE",i believe this is what you will see if they drop ALL CHANNELS from the current guide.. (The program guide has NOTHING TO DO with what the reciever finds it can tune to,its just info on whats on said channels (I think anyway))

The guide is a lot more than just what is playing on a certain channel at a certain time.

DirecTV Employee

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

No, you are incorrect.  If DirecTV doesn't supply program information for a channel, it will say "regular schedule".  HOWEVER the guide stream supplies the receiver with additional parameters such as channel number, satellite, transponder, etc.  This information is needed for the receiver to actually tune in to anything.  That's why you can't tune anything in or watch anything while the receiver is acquiring this information.  Legacy receivers display the message "please wait" when first turned on while this information is being received.  When DirecTV stops transmitting the legacy guide altogether that's all your receiver will ever do.  It will say "please wait"  and wait and wait and wait!!

• JBv likes this

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

Yeah i dunno.............. I think its just an attempt to get MORE $$$$$$ from people!! (Otherwise they would just MASS-UPGRADE everyone (Like they did with the new access cards))

#13 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

Yeah i dunno.............. I think its just an attempt to get MORE $$$$$$ from people!! (Otherwise they would just MASS-UPGRADE everyone (Like they did with the new access cards))

Not necessarily. It gives those affected an opportunity to change or upgrade their service/selections. There may be many that will opt for the the Genie since they have to change out equipment anyway. Sure, this is more $$$ for DirecTV but there is also a significant risk that these folks will be miffed enough to switch to another provider.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DBSTalk mobile app

#14 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 897 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Wrong.

DirecTV Employee

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

You just don't seem to understand the technical reasons behind this. They want the bandwidth back to use for other things that is currently tied up with a guide stream that is only used by a very small number of customers. That's why they are upgrading these few old boxes. They can't get more money from you by giving ya new box for nothing. That doesn't even make sense.

#16 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

You just don't seem to understand the technical reasons behind this. They want the bandwidth back to use for other things that is currently tied up with a guide stream that is only used by a very small number of customers. That's why they are upgrading these few old boxes. They can't get more money from you by giving ya new box for nothing. That doesn't even make sense.

You are right about the reason but you are way off in your assumption that there are only "few old boxes"!  I had one.  A half dozen friends of mine that have DirecTV still have them.  And I bet those zillion 18" dishes I see all over the place are still feeding a legacy receiver.  It's taking them MONTHS AND MONTHS to replace all of those receivers and they are doing it region by region.

A lot of customers also probably have newer boxes (I did) but kept the old legacy box for a bedroom or rec room since they already had it.  I used mine in my computer room strictly to listen to Sonic Tap!  Now I have a D12 that replaced it for free and no new commitment so I'm happy.

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:57 AM

In total boxes I am sure there are very few of them left, but very few is probably still in the hundreds of thousands, if not a million. There is something like what, 40 million DIRECTV boxes in use or more? Yes, it's a lot of boxes, but as a %, I don't think there's that many.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...