Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Want Whole Home and Genie - What Do I ask For?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DolphinGirl

DolphinGirl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

I was going to upgrade my set-up last year but I waited. Now that the HR44 is out i really want to get that.

Here's what I currently have:

HR23-700 (Want to replace this with Genie)

HR22-100

HR21-100

What do I ask for when I call in and what needs to be installed? What if anything will D* give me for free. I am ten months into a new contract, but have had D* since the beginning of Sunday Ticket (20 years I believe)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,710 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

The HR44 isn't out everywhere, if you are in a test market, there is a good chance that is what you'd get. Otherwise, it's HR34. They would need to install a SWM16, which would be automatic.

#3 OFFLINE   DolphinGirl

DolphinGirl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

That's it? No ned to get any other wireless connection or other hardware?

Does SWM16 require a new dish?

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

No, the SWM16 does not require a new dish, just a regular 4 output LNB.  The tech will connect the system to the internet as he best sees fit.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:17 AM

Just one point. If you plan on keeping two of the HRs you already have, I would suggest you replace the older HR21 and keep the 22 and 23. You can easily swap them round so that the 21 is in the living room (or wherever you plan to place the Genie) and let the tech take that.

There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,074 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

Just one point. If you plan on keeping two of the HRs you already have, I would suggest you replace the older HR21 and keep the 22 and 23. You can easily swap them round so that the 21 is in the living room (or wherever you plan to place the Genie) and let the tech take that.

Agree, why keep the one with the smallest hard drive.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,710 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

And there's no other redeeming factor like some of the benefits of the HR20.

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Since you will lose all of the content that is already recorded on the DVR that you replace, I would suggest making an effort to watch everything that you already have on that DVR.  I would also suggest changing as many series links as you can from that DVR to the other DVR's so you don't continue to fill up the DVR that you want to get rid of.

#9 OFFLINE   DolphinGirl

DolphinGirl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

How do I know what dish I have?

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,710 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Your Dish is fine, it's the LNB. On your current DVRs, do you have one coax going in, or two? Or if you hit dash on the remote, does it say SWiM connected?

#11 OFFLINE   DolphinGirl

DolphinGirl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

I have two coax cables going into my receiver HR23-700. When I hit dash on the remote, it only says internet connect. Nothing about SWim.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

you have a "legacy" system. DirecTV ail install the SWM network when you order the Genie

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,710 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

And since you'll have 9 tuners, they'll leave your current LNB on the dish, and install a SWM-16.

#14 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

I have two coax cables going into my receiver HR23-700. When I hit dash on the remote, it only says internet connect. Nothing about SWim.

You currently have 4 lines coming from your dish to a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch.  From the WB68, you have 2 lines running to each of your DVR's.  The installer will replace the WB68 with a SWM-16 and connect it to a power inserter (which will need to be plugged in).  He will connect one of the outputs of the SWM16 directly to your Genie.  The other output from the SWM will be conected to a 2 or 4 way splitter.  He will use 1 wire from the splitter to each of your other 2 DVR's.  Depending on where you have Ethernet wires (which I'm assuming that you do, since the Internet is already connected), he will either plug ethernet directly into the Genie, install a wired CCK (which he will need to use one of the coax cables that are currently connected to one of your DVR's (but will be disconnected once the SWM is installed) or install a wireless CCK, which will just be plugged into one of your DVR's.

spam firewall