Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Move/no reception?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dobe

Dobe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Hi:

I upgraded to the Hooper a few months ago. Now I'm unexpectedly moving. The new house has lots of HUGE old trees around it -- especially to the South. The only fairly clear path is North. The trees branches can't be cut because of rules. Plus I wouldn't want to cut them. The trees are pretty amazing.

I've lived in my current house since before Satellite TV was available so I've never dealt with obstruction problems. What does DISH do if I want to move and take them with me but I can't get reception because of the trees?

I still have 22 months on my contract.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

If you are nice and they can't get line of sight... they may offer to waive the contract... but don't expect it.  Maybe you will be ok and they can get signal in the new location... but you aren't going to know until you try.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

If you are willing to have a pole mount in the yard they may be able to find an opening in the trees.  The only problem then would be as the trees grow they may eventually block the signal.

A compass and a chart (based on zip code) should show you where the signals come from.  You may be able to find where an opening is (hopefully on the house but if not then in the yard).

Also some markets have their locals on both the eastern and western arc, so you may have two shots at finding an opening.

Good luck!

Edited by Michael P, 22 May 2013 - 11:31 AM.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#4 OFFLINE   Dobe

Dobe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm in Sacramento. I guess it will be a wait and see. I've been with DISH a while and hope they can somehow find a line of sight. I would have the same problem with D* so that would leave me with Comcast which -- in Sacramento -- is not a quality option!.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...