Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Movers Deal vs. New Account

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brianoffs

brianoffs

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities, MN

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.  I apologize if this has been covered before, but here is my situation I could use some advice on.

I have had DirectTV since 2005 with 2 D10 receivers and am looking to upgrade to some sort of HD receiver (not sure about DVR). 

I will be moving in a couple of months and figure that is a good oppportunity to upgrade with minimal cost increases.  Does it make sense to use the Movers Deal or cancel my current account and get a new subscriber under my wife's name and new address?

Thanks in advance for the help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

In that case it might be worth it to try to get the new customer deal. While with the Mover's Connection, you would get a good deal on equipment upgrades with a New Customer account, you might get the same plus package discounts. The only real way to know is to call up and see what they'll give you for the Miver's Connection and then compare that to a New Customer package (which you can easily see on-line).

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

The fact that you may not have a contract and you have other offers available to you in you new home will work in your factor.,,

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Not to be "that guy" but they do have an audit team and if they are able to link the accounts together, they can stop your discounts and such as a new customer.  With the amount of tenure you have on your existing account, I would suggest keeping it anyways.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#5 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Seems like it would be worth giving them a call and asking for details on what kind of deals you could get if you moved. If it is similar to what you'd get as a new customer, why not keep it?

On the other hand, if they won't help you, I can't see how you'd have to worry about the "audit team". How exactly are they going to know the difference between:

1) you and your wife move together and try to cheat the system a tiny bit by starting an account in her name

2) you and your wife separate, she starts service at her new address and you cancel service because you can't afford both Directv and child support :)

Given how poor Directv's own record keeping is, it would be a miracle if they can even connect you and your wife as being married via credit records, let alone know for sure you moved together and haven't separated.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#6 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Seems like it would be worth giving them a call and asking for details on what kind of deals you could get if you moved. If it is similar to what you'd get as a new customer, why not keep it?

On the other hand, if they won't help you, I can't see how you'd have to worry about the "audit team". How exactly are they going to know the difference between:

1) you and your wife move together and try to cheat the system a tiny bit by starting an account in her name

2) you and your wife separate, she starts service at her new address and you cancel service because you can't afford both Directv and child support :)

Given how poor Directv's own record keeping is, it would be a miracle if they can even connect you and your wife as being married via credit records, let alone know for sure you moved together and haven't separated.

I was thinking it, you said it lol.  I just wanted to put it out there that it has happened. 

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#7 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

DirecTV is a multi-billion dollar company ya know..their record keeping is a whole lot better than you would think. They did not get where they are today by having poor record keeping. They have a team mentioned earlier that monitors this stuff as mentioned earlier and some of the things they have catched amazes me. You have to be away from Directv for 2 Years to get new customer offers btw.

Edited by Volatility, 22 May 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

You have to be away from Directv for 2 Years to get new customer offers btw.

That might be the policy, but certainly many folks have gotten "new customers" offers way earlier than 2 years.  This like all DirecTV policies are NOT written ins stone.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

That might be the policy, but certainly many folks have gotten "new customers" offers way earlier than 2 years.  This like all DirecTV policies are NOT written ins stone.

He was referring to being a new customer again with a new account.  Offers to get people to come back would be a different story, though not too much different.

#10 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

He was referring to being a new customer again with a new account. Offers to get people to come back would be a different story, though not too much different.

Yes---as those are reconnect offers and the offers are not too much different but not the same as you mentioned. And peds you are right people have gotten a new customer account and offers before this period but like mentioned earlier by the member above me, post 4 for referencing,, DirecTV could go in and remove the new customer offers that were received and notate the account the customer was inelligible.

Edited by Volatility, 22 May 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

DirecTV is a multi-billion dollar company ya know..their record keeping is a whole lot better than you would think. They did not get where they are today by having poor record keeping. They have a team mentioned earlier that monitors this stuff as mentioned earlier and some of the things they have catched amazes me. You have to be away from Directv for 2 Years to get new customer offers btw.

I've asked this question before and have been met with only silence.  Where in the terms and conditions of service does it prevent a new account being started in someone else's name, even more so, at a different residence.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#12 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

I've asked this question before and have been met with only silence.  Where in the terms and conditions of service does it prevent a new account being started in someone else's name, even more so, at a different residence.

It's not found in the terms and conditions. It's like a policy they do not publish in the open.

#13 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

It's not found in the terms and conditions. It's like a policy they do not publish in the open.

Then the customer is not bound by some unpublished policy and Directv would be asking for trouble if they attempted to stop the new customer discounts as suggested above.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#14 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Then the customer is not bound by some unpublished policy and Directv would be asking for trouble if they attempted to stop the new customer discounts as suggested above.

Nope, you're not eligible for new customer offers if you're not a new customer. 

#15 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

:huh: Definition of a new customer: a party or individual that uses and purchases the products or services given to them by a buisness or other individual/group for the first time. So need I say more? Me thinkest not.

Edited by Volatility, 23 May 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Nope, you're not eligible for new customer offers if you're not a new customer. 

His wife is a new customer.  Unless you can provide a link or source of a terms and/or conditions that is disclosed to the customer that says otherwise.  If there is something that says a "new customer" does not include someone who is a spouse and/or family member of a prior customer, lets see it.

Directv cannot come to an agreement to a new customer, bind that customer to a two year agreement, only to come back and say "you really aren't a new customer because your husband was a customer according to our undisclosed "policy" that you didn't know about and now we are rescinding that offer".  Doesn't work that way, unless it is disclosed up front.  I've asked for it before and got crickets.  

Volatility can respond with all the snarky faces he wants but Directv would be inviting trouble.

#17 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Directv cannot come to an agreement to a new customer, bind that customer to a two year agreement, only to come back and say "you really aren't a new customer because your husband was a customer according to our undisclosed "policy" that you didn't know about and now we are rescinding that offer".  Doesn't work that way, unless it is disclosed up front.  I've asked for it before and got crickets.  

Wait, so D* has to disclose everything and the customer does not?  Setting up new service is a spouse's name would create a new account but that would not be a new customer.  If a pair shop at the same grocery store for 10 years and the husband always pays, is the wife not a customer?  If you call D* and say, "I want to cancel service and setup a new account in my wife's names for the new customer deals.", they are going to explain she is not a new customer just because it would be a brand new account.  This has been talked about on the forum before and, whether policy is explicitly notated(which I'll look for some for you), it's not ethical.

#18 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Wait, so D* has to disclose everything and the customer does not?  Setting up new service is a spouse's name would create a new account but that would not be a new customer.  If a pair shop at the same grocery store for 10 years and the husband always pays, is the wife not a customer?  If you call D* and say, "I want to cancel service and setup a new account in my wife's names for the new customer deals.", they are going to explain she is not a new customer just because it would be a brand new account.  This has been talked about on the forum before and, whether policy is explicitly notated(which I'll look for some for you), it's not ethical.

It's really pretty simple.  A person is bound to act within the terms and conditions, and that is it.  If a customer calls and says I want to cancel and have my wife sign up, it is Directv's prerogative to not sign the wife up.  They are not obligated to sign the wife up.  What they cannot do is have some "team", after binding a customer to a two-year agreement at a set price, come back and say, we have this internal policy that voids our agreement, and oh by the way, you are still on the hook for two years.

If contract law worked that way, any contract could be voided by "internal undisclosed policies".  Utterly ridiculous.  CSRs playing contract lawyers on the internet is not a good thing.

• damondlt and sigma1914 like this

#19 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

DirecTV is a multi-billion dollar company ya know..their record keeping is a whole lot better than you would think.

I don't think so.

How about last summer when I get a notice that I didn't pay my previous month's payment and I now owed them for two months plus a late-fee?  It took me three times telling the CSR that I was on Auto-pay and therefore it wasn't my fault that the payment wasn't made.

And although it isn't part of this topic, their inventory control for such a large company is non-existent. 

And we're also not going to talk about the two times I've had PP added to my account without my authorization, as have others. 

Nope, it certainly isn't better than I think.

#20 OFFLINE   buzzfish43

buzzfish43

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Where can I see the new customer deals. The deals forum is protected and I can't see. What do I have to do?

spam firewall