Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mike & Molly season finale pulled

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,091 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

In case anyone wonders why Mike & Molly was set as new, but a rerun, they pulled it at the last minute, as a tornado is part of the plot.

It will air at a later date, but that has not been set.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

You know, this PC crap Is getting way out of control, next they will be saying Grandma didn't die she's just on a very long vacation that she wont be coming back from.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

You know, this PC crap Is getting way out of control, next they will be saying Grandma didn't die she's just on a very long vacation that she wont be coming back from.

This isn't being PC; it's being respectful to those in Oklahoma who lost everything, including their lives. At least 51 people -- including at least 20 children -- were killed... have some respect.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

I'm sure the episode will eventually air .. No need for the network to bite the hand that feeds them.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

This isn't being PC; it's being respectful to those in Oklahoma who lost everything, including their lives. At least 51 people -- including at least 20 children -- were killed... have some respect.

I have respect and believe in Jesus Christ and my heart weeps for them. 

• sigma1914 likes this

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#6 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

I feel for the people in OK but I'm tired of the networks deciding what I may or may not find disturbing.  No more M&M for me, SL deleted.

And before you folks start calling me names...  I was on the fence with M&M to begin with, this just seals the deal.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

Lots of tornadoes do lots of damage and take lots of lives every spring.  Many of them don't make the national news.

Didn't like the show anyways, so no matter.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,091 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

I think a big part of it is that it was something that happened that day. Taking this to an extreme, would it be OK to have a show or movie about terrorists bringing a building down on 9/11?

Tornados happen, especially there due to the geography, but it probably isn't the best idea to have a comedy with a tornado subplot right then. They likely wouldn't do this if it was just an EF1 etc without the casualties.

#9 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

I think a big part of it is that it was something that happened that day. Taking this to an extreme, would it be OK to have a show or movie about terrorists bringing a building down on 9/11?

Tornados happen, especially there due to the geography, but it probably isn't the best idea to have a comedy with a tornado subplot right then. They likely wouldn't do this if it was just an EF1 etc without the casualties.

People get shot daily, car accidents happen daily, people die daily, it rains somewhere every day and so on...  Using your example we should never air shows that show people being shot, car accidents, people dying, scenes with rain and so on...  Yeah, sorry I don't need people deciding what I do and don't like based on "current events".  Let me decide if I want to watch a show involving a tornado on a day there was a tornado, and that happens QUITE often this time of year.

And to answer your question...  Yes, it would be ok to have shown a show about terrorists bringing down a building on 9/11.  You don't have to watch it if you don't want to or let your DVR catch it and you watch it another day. 

I don't need someone to "protect" me from TV shows that show things that happen in real life.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

At least 51 people -- including at least 20 children -- were killed... have some respect.

24 people total, 9 are children. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,091 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

I think it's different than things that are every day occurrences. I also think that there would be a lot of negative publicity if it was shown last night. CBS aired the episode of Person of Interest that had a suicide bomber about a month after the Boston bombings, with a disclaimer. That was probably on schedule. They just felt that was not the right way to go last night.

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

That was revised after my initial post; I had used CNN. My bad.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Lots of tornadoes do lots of damage and take lots of lives every spring.  Many of them don't make the national news.

Didn't like the show anyways, so no matter.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#14 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

I live in Oklahoma and on my way in this morning they were saying that number as been up'd to over 90 now.  I will see if I can find a link online to confirm that.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#15 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

SayWhat:

Why don't you cut the cord?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#16 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

It's not like tornadoes are new, it's just a slow news cycle so all the national news outlets have picked it up.

Pulling a fictional TV show is just stupid, or smart if you want to look at it that way.  They are getting free advertising for this show by pulling it, hoping more people will watch it when it finally airs.  In reality though, when they do stuff like this, the core viewers usually lose interest or don't remember to watch it when it does air.

#17 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

I think it's different than things that are every day occurrences. I also think that there would be a lot of negative publicity if it was shown last night. CBS aired the episode of Person of Interest that had a suicide bomber about a month after the Boston bombings, with a disclaimer. That was probably on schedule. They just felt that was not the right way to go last night.

In "tornado alley" this time of year tornadoes are pretty much an every day occurrence.  I wouldn't expect anyone to pull a show that had a hurricane just because my area just had one, that's stupid.  What they did with Person Of Interest was perfect, show a disclaimer and let the public decide if they wanted to watch.  Don't make the decision for them.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

That was revised after my initial post; I had used CNN. My bad.

Yeah, I wasn't calling you out or anything.  Just making sure updated numbers were being used. 

• sigma1914 likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

I live in Oklahoma and on my way in this morning they were saying that number as been up'd to over 90 now.  I will see if I can find a link online to confirm that.

I've checked several news sources and they all say 24 according to "The Medical Examiner in Moore, OK". 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#20 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

I agree with the decision to postpone the episode -- no biggie.

It's not just being pc, but respectful of the victims' raw pain.

If you would pull a show for that reason alone, then you are

an insensitive clod anyway and your opinion doesn't matter.

• sigma1914 likes this

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...