Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mike & Molly season finale pulled

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

RunnerRL, Networks decide every day what shows are good for you (or not). This really isn't much different than that. They made a business decision based on the facts at hand.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

I agree with the decision to postpone the episode -- no biggie.

It's not just being pc, but respectful of the victims' raw pain.

If you would pull a show for that reason alone, then you are

an insensitive clod anyway and your opinion doesn't matter.

Ummm...  The victims couldn't watch the episode so I'm not sure how it would be "respectful to their pain" not to show it.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

RunnerRL, Networks decide every day what shows are good for you (or not). This really isn't much different than that. They made a business decision based on the facts at hand.

No they don't.  They decide what shows to purchase for air and from there I decide what I want to watch from their shows.  They don't, and should never, make decisions for as to what I may or may not find offensive, hurtful, etc.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

It's kinda a big deal when kids in school are killed and still trapped. This isn't just another tornado. Were any of you all who are downplaying this event and unhappy, this affected when the Bruins and Penguins canceled their game? Or when the Saints relocated after Katrina?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

It's kinda a big deal when kids in school are killed and still trapped. This isn't just another tornado. Were any of you all who are downplaying this event and unhappy, this affected when the Bruins and Penguins canceled their game? Or when the Saints relocated after Katrina?

I feel bad for them, I really do, but the truth of the matter is kids are killed daily worldwide.  If they pulled TV shows that depicted events that killed or harmed children over time we'd have zero TV left to watch.   Again, I wouldn't expect a network to pull a show on a hurricane after my area was hit by a hurricane.  Even if I could watch it, which I doubt I could, it wouldn't offend me.

I'm not sure about the Bruins/Penguins game but I'm pretty sure that was called for logistic reasons (The city was shut down).  As for the Saints that's not a good comparison since they had to relocate because they had no stadium.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Storm rolled through about 3:30 local time.  It was probably 4:30 or 5:00 before the scope was fully known.

Show airs at 8:30 local.  No one in OK would have been watching; all tuned to news.  Most programming preempted by local news anyways.

So, what difference would it have made to viewers in Seattle or Detroit or Miami?

What if the storm had not rolled in for another 2 or 3 hours?  Or even during the show?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Yeah... I have to say their hearts may have been in the right place, but this really makes no sense.  IF you're going to pull a show because something in real life is too similar, then you should never make such a show in the first place.

What does a show like CSI or NCIS do when there are crimes every day?  Somebody somewhere lives in a town where someone was brutally murdered when that week's episode airs and shows a murder plot...

Fiction is fiction...  people do know the difference.  You can choose not to watch if it hits too close to home for you.

I feel for people directly affected by this particular tornado (as I would any natural disaster victims) and I can assure you that the LAST thing on any of their minds was whether Mike & Molly aired and did it feature a tornado in its episode...  As is usually the case when the PC Patrol strikes, it is "fixing" a problem that doesn't exist.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#28 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,050 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

People get shot daily, car accidents happen daily, people die daily, it rains somewhere every day and so on...  Using your example we should never air shows that show people being shot, car accidents, people dying, scenes with rain and so on...  Yeah, sorry I don't need people deciding what I do and don't like based on "current events".  Let me decide if I want to watch a show involving a tornado on a day there was a tornado, and that happens QUITE often this time of year.

I think there is a difference between this epic event and a car accident.  A car accident really only affects those involved and while the end result can be tragic, the numbers are small.

This was an event that millions of people watched unfold in the era of 24/7 news.  There are multiple channels and websites providing updates constantly.  People who have never been to OK now have a connection to the event.

I think the writers should have known better to schedule an episode with a tornado in the middle of tornado season.  This is actually on them.

I agree with CBS on this one provided they do show it at a later time.

My Setup

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

The victims are more than just those in Moore ... or even those who had their whole evening of programming taken away because their local station decided to cover the news,  There are people across the country with ties to somebody in Moore or the Oklahoma City area.  They probably didn't give a damn what was on TV last night wondering if their loved one was involved (if they had not heard good news yet). But pulling a comedy show about a natural disaster isn't a bad idea. Wait for better weather.

As far as the arguments of "there are tornados everyday" ... this was not an everyday tornado. At the time the decision was made we were in our second day of storms and more were on the way. The storm front stretched up to Chicago ... the location where the show is set. Someone made the decision not to be funny.

There are plenty of other channels on TV ... watch one. Or watch Twister via an on demand offering. It is only TV.

• sigma1914 likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

I think there is a difference between this epic event and a car accident.  A car accident really only affects those involved and while the end result can be tragic, the numbers are small.

This was an event that millions of people watched unfold in the era of 24/7 news.  There are multiple channels and websites providing updates constantly.  People who have never been to OK now have a connection to the event.

I think the writers should have known better to schedule an episode with a tornado in the middle of tornado season.  This is actually on them.

I agree with CBS on this one provided they do show it at a later time.

I respectfully disagree.  This is not an "epic event" by any means.  This is a yearly occurrence for those living in "Tornado Alley".

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

I agree with the PC comment and just shook my head when I heard the story.  I think it is more CBS trying to inject themselves into the situation.  If you are truly affected in any way from that tornado the last thing you would care about was what Mike and Molly are doing for the season finale.  This way CBS can earn some fake brownie points with everyone who thinks they actually care.  Of course the other side is if CBS did air it there absolutely would be some special interest bottom feeder who would get TONS of coverage from the same media vultures who are on the scene right now trying to milk it for all they can.

As for the 9/11 example, by that night and the next day when absolutely every station was still running 24/7 coverage of the same rehashed stuff I would have gladly watched just about anything else.

• RunnerFL likes this

#32 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

I respectfully disagree.  This is not an "epic event" by any means.  This is a yearly occurrence for those living in "Tornado Alley".

Since when is an EF5 a yearly occurrence?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#33 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

^^  Destructive tornadoes are, but 5s are quite common:

http://en.wikipedia....d_EF5_tornadoes

And it's turning out that this one wasn't as bad as many first though.  Certainly not 'Epic' as compared to Joplin or Greensburg.  The biggest oddity here is that it's the second time on almost the same track.

Edited by SayWhat?, 21 May 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

^^  Destructive tornadoes are, but 5s are quite common:

http://en.wikipedia....d_EF5_tornadoes

And it's turning out that this one wasn't as bad as many first though.  Certainly not 'Epic' as compared to Joplin or Greensburg.  The biggest oddity here is that it's the second time on almost the same track.

It was an EF5, the most strongest type.

#35 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

^^  But not uncommon or epic.

#36 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

^^  But not uncommon or epic.

There's only been 9, 4 were from the same storm. How is 9 EF5 common?? And how is the most powerful classification not epic?

#37 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

And if you go back to F5, before they went to EF, there were none from 2000-2006. What is "epic", if this isn't? Greensburg? Fewer deaths but 95% of the town destroyed. Joplin, the deadliest tornado since 1947 and costliest in US history?

This thread certainly has taken a turn I did not anticipate. It really was meant as an FYI for people that record the show...

• sigma1914 likes this

#38 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

There's only been 9, 4 were from the same storm. How is 9 EF5 common??

Huh?  Look at the Wiki List I posted above.  Lots more than 9.

The 1925 Tri-State could be called 'epic'  This one wasn't even close.

Edited by SayWhat?, 21 May 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

If you factor in F5's, sure. But certainly not a yearly event even then. It can be several years without one. I admit however I'm not an expert in the Fujita scale and how the Enhanced scale differs.

I guess if you take the average, 59 F and EF 5's since 1953 that's about one a year but I think that's skewed by events like the 1974 and 2011 super outbreaks.

#40 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Huh?  Look at the Wiki List I posted above.  Lots more than 9.

You're counting F5s... Look at Section 2, Official EF5 Tornadoes. http://en.wikipedia....l_EF5_tornadoes

Protected By... spam firewall...And...