Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mike & Molly season finale pulled

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

The only definition offered by Dictionary.com for "epic" that doesn't involve poetry and literature is "of unusually great size or extent." The May 18–21, 2013 tornado outbreak qualifies as "epic" IMHO.

Nope.  Not all that unusual.  There were really only a few storms and the one that got all the news wasn't as bad as it was made out to be.  Bad for those directly affected, but not in comparison to others.

This one only logged around 50 tornadoes, whereas the April 2011 event logged over 350.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

Epic would be if a single tornado took out multiple towns like hurricanes do.  Sandy, now that was epic.

The world had more than a 20-30 minute warning for Sandy. Hurricanes are much more survivable. The survivability of a tornado comes from their smaller size and less of a chance of being hit. 

I suppose it's only an "epic event" when it's your home that is completely destroyed.
Get a little empathy.

Spot on!

As I've said before "I feel bad for them", clearly you missed that and only chose what you could use as ammunition to mount an attack.

Making several posts in a row and "dominating" a thread does tend to bring focus to you as a poster. Yes, you feel bad for the tornado victims. But it seems that you're also wound up over the postponement of a 30 minute comedy show. A lot of angst over a 30 minute comedy. What some people would consider a stupid TV show.
  • sigma1914 likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#63 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,141 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

You know, "epic" is kind of in the eye of the beholder. This storm was pretty "epic" from my perspective:

http://en.wikipedia....eesboro_tornado

"Only" two people were killed, despite the hundreds of houses utterly destroyed and the nearly 1,000 homes and businesses damaged. That was a pretty damn lucky thing, given the size and intensity of the storm, and fact that the tornado ground track was over 20 miles long. That same storm system spouted a rotating wall cloud, heavy winds and rain/hail that was was blowing sideways at my house a few miles to the south of the main tornadic cell. If the storm had been a few hundred yards south it would've hit a 15 story Embassy Suites hotel and quite possibly destroyed it. A few hundred yards further still and it would passed right through a large outdoor mall/shopping center packed with a thousand people or more doing some late Friday afternoon shopping and dining.

So in light of what just happened in Oklahoma, CBS deciding to just chill for a week or two doesn't bother me in the slightest. People died - many more were injured, lost homes, pets, livestock, or personal property, and many times that number know people who were affected.

So in short, RunnerFL, it ain't about YOU, it's about all of THEM.

Deal with it.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#64 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

People get shot daily, car accidents happen daily, people die daily, it rains somewhere every day and so on...  Using your example we should never air shows that show people being shot, car accidents, people dying, scenes with rain and so on...  Yeah, sorry I don't need people deciding what I do and don't like based on "current events".  Let me decide if I want to watch a show involving a tornado on a day there was a tornado, and that happens QUITE often this time of year.

And to answer your question...  Yes, it would be ok to have shown a show about terrorists bringing down a building on 9/11.  You don't have to watch it if you don't want to or let your DVR catch it and you watch it another day. 

I don't need someone to "protect" me from TV shows that show things that happen in real life.

We are in complete agreement.

What might be a bit ironic is that nobody who was hurt ot nearly hurt or even nearby this tornado probably had the time, the proclivity, or even the opportunity, to be watching dumb sitcoms that night anyway, so they would not have been upset by the random coincidentality of a show that had a tornado as a plot point, because they would not have been watching it!

If you lived in that town or had relatives or friends in the path of that disaster, you should be out helping them as much as you can, and not gulping down cheese balls and sleeves of Pringles in front of the boob tube. And if you disagree with that, you can hardly be outraged that a show you watch has innocent coincidences with real life.

As for the rest of us, cut us a Freaking break. Stuff happens every day, and some of it is not good. But shows are just going to coincidentally air that feature issues that happen to some people every day, and there is just not much anyone can do about that. No one is out there moaning about that. It is what it is. That's how the world turns. So to yank any ep for anything starts to look hypocritical, because it is.

The Hannibal ep yank reasoning was ridiculous, and this one is even worse, except that this one is not a chunk taken out of the middle of a serialized story arc.

What is really gauling is that the ep yanks are NOT done out of sensitivity, NO they are NOT; they are done out of the FEAR of someone whining about it to others and making them look bad, or giving them 15 minutes of negative publicity on twitter. That means that ep yanks are not done to be altruistic, they are done to be self-serving, and nothiing more.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#65 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

What might be a bit ironic is that nobody who was hurt ot nearly hurt or even nearby this tornado probably had the time, the proclivity, or even the opportunity, to be watching dumb sitcoms that night anyway, so they would not have been upset by the random coincidentality of a show that had a tornado as a plot point, because they would not have been watching it!

If you lived in that town or had relatives or friends in the path of that disaster, you should be out helping them as much as you can, and not gulping down cheese balls and sleeves of Pringles in front of the boob tube. And if you disagree with that, you can hardly be outraged that a show you watch has innocent coincidences with real life.

As for the rest of us, cut us a Freaking break. Stuff happens every day, and some of it is not good. But shows are just going to coincidentally air that feature issues that happen to some people every day, and there is just not much anyone can do about that. No one is out there moaning about that. It is what it is. That's how the world turns. So to yank any ep for anything starts to look hypocritical, because it is.

The Hannibal ep yank reasoning was ridiculous, and this one is even worse, except that this one is not a chunk taken out of the middle of a serialized story arc.

What is really gauling is that the ep yanks are NOT done out of sensitivity, NO they are NOT; they are done out of the FEAR of someone whining about it to others and making them look bad, or giving them 15 minutes of negative publicity on twitter. That means that ep yanks are not done to be altruistic, they are done to be self-serving, and nothiing more.

Yanking an episode costs the networks money. That means someone had to authorize the (opportunity) cost. That doesn't seem very self-serving. 

Comedy is all about timing. This was bad timing, given it was the very day it happened. 

What if I had relatives or friends who lived in the area, but I live somewhere else. After I've verified they are ok, what do you expect me to do to assist them from 2,000 miles away on that night? 

So you demand a break. because "[tornadoes] happen everyday". You are so incredibly hurt by an episode yank. You are forced to endure 30 minutes of intense pain of watching a re-run a week early. You might want to get your money back. Sue for triple damages. As, obviously this pain and agony is so much more than that suffered by the people in the storm... 

I try to put myself in other people's shoes. To understand the pain, to empathize if possible. I'm kinda having problems seeing your pain here.

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#66 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Not to be flippant... but doesn't Wizard of Oz air during tornado season quite a bit?  Would that movie be pulled in a similar situation?

Several people have got this right, though... networks don't pull programs to be "sensitive"... they do it to avoid complaints AND to try and get some free P/R and publicity.  IF it was about doing things to take their audience into account, then they probably wouldn't make an episode of any comedy that ever had a serious topic in the first place.

• RunnerFL likes this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#67 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

You need some compassion! It's just TV!

Paul, you do realize you post your comment in the same post that you're quoting other people, right? You don't have to quote and then do a separate post with your comment. I know it helps your post count, but it's cumbersome in the context of the thread.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#68 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,823 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

So in the future, there's no reason for a network to yank prime-time programming for any reason!!

I don't use smilies but there's way too much crap in this thread!

• RunnerFL likes this

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#69 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

So in short, RunnerFL, it ain't about YOU, it's about all of THEM.

Deal with it.

Not once have I said it was about me.  Maybe you should invest in some reading glasses.

And as far as "THEM", well they made the choice to live in OK, I didn't.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#70 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

I agree 110%

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#71 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

So in the future, there's no reason for a network to yank prime-time programming for any reason!!

I don't use smilies but there's way too much crap in this thread!

An important point to keep in mind.

While CBS pulled a comedy show about a fictional tornado...  News stations continued to show footage from the real-life devastation.

Now... if I was a victim OR a friend or family member of such devastation... I can tell you 100% I would be more depressed and bothered seeing more and more of the actual real-life devastation than I would have the fictional comedy.

So...  while one arm of the networks pulls shows under the guise of "doing it for the people" another arm of the network shows more and more disturbing footage also under the guise of "doing it for the people"...

#72 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,823 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

I think several missed the sarcasm in my post above.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#73 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

I think several missed the sarcasm in my post above.

I'm sure I missed the sarcasm... and usually I'm so good at picking it up too.  I always enjoy sarcasm.

(oh, and that wasn't sarcastic...  I do enjoy sarcasm :) )

#74 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Question, did the BBC Networks and other British Networks yank all Cooking shows yesterday after Meat cleavers and knives were used in that tragic Terrorist attack yesterday?

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#75 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

I'm not sure I see them as the same. It's starting to get close to an argument like when someone drove their car into a market, killing a bunch of people that anything with a car in it would be pulled from the networks.

Similarly, if Discovery's North America first night ran after the tornado, I would not think it would be something that should be pulled.

• oldschoolecw likes this

#76 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm not sure I see them as the same. It's starting to get close to an argument like when someone drove their car into a market, killing a bunch of people that anything with a car in it would be pulled from the networks.

Similarly, if Discovery's North America first night ran after the tornado, I would not think it would be something that should be pulled.

Exactly my point

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#77 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yeah...  I don't know of a good example here... but hypothetically...

IF there were a TV show that somehow glorified tornadoes, I could see pulling that.  I don't think there are any TV shows or movies where a tornado was the hero though.

Like... when there have been TV shows or movies where the terrorist/villain was painted as a complex character that you were supposed to kind of root for... I see pulling that when a recent terrorist event has just aired, because nobody would want to watch a "yay terrorist underdogs" movie after a horrific real-world attack... but a movie where the terrorists get their come-uppance?  That seems actually like exactly the kind of movie you'd want to watch after such a real-life event.

#78 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

One thing for sure ... people are talking about Mike & Molly more than they have all season long.  The decision must have been a good one. :)

DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#79 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

One thing for sure ... people are talking about Mike & Molly more than they have all season long.  The decision must have been a good one. :)

It's a great show, people should be talking about it and maybe Molly hopefully is pregnant would be revealed  

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#80 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

It's a great show, people should be talking about it and maybe Molly hopefully is pregnant would be revealed  

That is one popular guess as to the important information they reveal to each other.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...