Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 and Genie/whole home

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Help - installer is here now, installed Genie HR34 plus some clients. I also wanted to keep my HR20-700, which I've been using with an external drive for several years. I think the hard drive in the HR20 is bad. He's trying to start up the HR 20 without the external, and it is trying to run a disk scan, and going very slow and finding errors.

He is offering me a HR21, but I don't want that, do I? He said he has to boot up without the external the first time, to set it up with the Genie. Is this true? Is there a way to bypass the scan disk that starts up every time we plug in the HR20 without the external connected?

Wouldn't I rather use my HR20 with the external than the HR21 he is offering to swap? I've read here the HR21s are slow.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,403 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

Nope, no way to bypass the disk check.  there is no difference between the HR21 and the HR20 besides the HR21 missing the OTA tuners.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

I can't think of any way that booting to the internal drive instead of the external drive for initial Genie setup would make any difference. Perhaps you could politely suggest trying the HR20 with external drive first before swapping it for the HR21. If you lose the HR20, you won't be able to watch what is on the external drive.

#4 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Well, there's good news and bad news, after the installer was here for 4.5 hours.

The good news, he finally agreed to let me try to boot the HR20 to the external drive, after it wouldn't boot to the internal (was on scan disk, with 30 errors, and at 1% for a long time). The boot up process took awhile, but it worked, and all of my recordings and To Do list items are intact. The bad news is that because it booted to the external, he wasn't able to set me up on Whole Home, even though I have the necessary adapters (is this the DECA?) attached to the box. He said that he had never set up a box with whole home that was working off of the external drive, and he didn't think it would work. He thought that we would have to at least boot to the internal the first time, set up whole home, then power down and boot to the external. Can anyone on here tell me if that sounds correct? Attached is a pic of what is connected to the HR20.

Once the HR20 booted up, he ran a check on the tuners (I think), and something came up with a red X on one box in a grid of four. I'd never seen this screen before, so I don't know what it was. He said that it proved that the HR20 was bad.

He only had a HR21-200 and a HR21-100 on my truck. He said I could have either if I gave him my HR20, and he thought the 100 was better. He didn't know that the recordings on my external drive wouldn't work with another box. I told him I would keep the HR20 for now, and he said I should be able to get a free replacement at any time since my box is bad and I have the PP. He said I should request the most recent HR2x before the Genie, and they should be able to do that for me. I know that everything I've ever heard and experienced is "you get what you get" and there is no way to demand a specific box, but he said I should be able to. Not sure what to think about this. He also said that unless I wait 90 days to do this, that he will be charged back for the replacement, because he should have swapped out the box when he was there. I told him I would wait at least 90 days.

So now I'm pretty confused. My questions are:
1. Is it true that While Home won't work if you can't boot up to the internal drive at least once?
2. If that isn't true, is there something that needs to change in the way he hooked up this box? I have both coax lines from the wall being used, one runs directly to Sat 1 on the box, the other runs into that adapter in the pic that has Ethernet and coax to Sat 2.
3. What was the screen with a red X?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,087 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

That doesn't sound right at all. It's like an installer insisted that he needed to force a download (even if that version was already installed) for it to work for me, just wasn't true.

Is this an HR20-100?

#6 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

No, it's an HR20-700. He said the HR20s are the only boxes that need that extra thing in order to work with the new setup. I'm not sure if he was talking about the SWM, Whole Home, or the Genie. Does anyone know?

#7 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Both the internal drives on my HR20's are toast. Whole home has never been a problem.

If the HR34 is connected to the internet.

On the HR20 go to network setup reset defaults and connect now or depending on the software it might connect automaticly.

After it connects it should share.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#8 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Looking at that pic you posted the tech has two lines connected to your sat in ports. There should only be one with the DECA on a -700. The DECA should be attached to SAT in 1 SWM. I think if you look the DECA is attached to SAT in 2. On the -700 the inputs are backwards.

#9 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

Looking at that pic you posted the tech has two lines connected to your sat in ports. There should only be one with the DECA on a -700. The DECA should be attached to SAT in 1 SWM. I think if you look the DECA is attached to SAT in 2. On the -700 the inputs are backwards.

You are correct, the DECA is attached to SAT 2.  I think what he was trying to do is somehow connect me to the internet using the DECA and the second coax.  He said that he does this all the time, and it works.  The HR34 is connected to the internet, via an Ethernet home wire setup (hard wired from HR34 to a powerstrip with an Ethernet port).  This is how my HR20 used to connect in the same location in the house.  Now I have moved the HR20 to the bedroom, and he was trying to use the DECA to connect to the Ethernet that the Genie is using.

This is all way over my head, so I'm not sure if there is anything I can change to get it to work.  Right now, the HR20 cannot connect to the internet or to the Whole Home system.  Any suggestions?  Do I need some other way to get the HR20 to connect to my router?  If so, what?  I've only ever connected via the home wire method.  I have a big house, and don't know if the wireless connection would work well.

#10 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Disconnect the sat input from the DECA drop it on the floor.

Disconnect the sat input from sat input 1, connect it to the DECA and connect the DECA to sat input one.

You should have a picture on your TV and two green lights on the DECA. If not stop.

Check to see if MRV works.

If not RBR, check again.

If not , do network setup, check again.

#11 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

Disconnect the sat input from the DECA drop it on the floor.

Disconnect the sat input from sat input 1, connect it to the DECA and connect the DECA to sat input one.

You should have a picture on your TV and two green lights on the DECA. If not stop.

Check to see if MRV works.

If not RBR, check again.

If not , do network setup, check again.

Should I leave the Ethernet cable connected from the DECA to the box?

#12 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

Yes to the top ethernet port.

#13 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Ok, I did all of that. I have a picture and 2 green lights on the DECA. How do I know if MRV works? I still don't see the Genie, which is recording now, in my List. Do I need to RBR?

#14 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Btw, I tried running Network Services with Auto configuration, Connect Now, and it tried for awhile then came back with "unable to start Network Services (<202>)".

#15 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

Menu, setup, wholehome, status, authorized?

#16 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Menu, setup, wholehome, status, authorized?

It says not authorized, call 1-800...

Do I need to call, or do I need to do RBR?

#17 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Call.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,087 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

I think we're making progress. It was only the HR20-100 that required a different setup, with two coax cables. One of several oddities on that box.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,403 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

It says not authorized, call 1-800...

Do I need to call, or do I need to do RBR?

you can also re-authorize at www.directv.com/resend

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

I called, the CSR rebooted the HR20, and it is now working. I think the installer was setting this up in a way that would give me access to the genie thru the Ethernet, but I don't know how. He said that at one point, but I didn't know what he was talking about.

Anyway, I'm working on MRV. Now I'm having a ridiculous time trying to program remotes for the genie, I have another thread going on this. Thanks for all of the help!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...