Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Xbox One event roundup: Microsoft reveals its next-gen gaming console

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Xbox One event roundup: Microsoft reveals its next-gen gaming console

"Will Microsoft's Xbox One be the one gaming console to purchase over the Wii U and PS4? That's a question we'll have to wait until later this year to answer, so let's stick to the present. Redmond made a huge showing across both the software and hardware fronts today, ensuring gamers will have lots to look forward to. Whether you missed parts of the keynote or are looking for specific stories from the event, we've got you covered. Click HERE to find a full directory of today's Xbox One news."

xbox-one-side-controler.jpg

Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Now I can see why Microsoft killed it's media streamer.  With a Blu-Ray drive to go along with it's 500gb HD, this console will be the center of many home theater setups.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#3 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

I wonder if the HDMI in will work properly with DirecTV tuners and DVR's. If so, unless Sony shows me something nearly as impressive with its PS then MS may have nailed it. 

#4 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

The lack of backwards compatibility will make me sit on the sidelines till a full slate of decent games are released.  The nausea inducing interface doesn't help either.

#5 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

i'm hoping the xbox 360 price drops, i'll get one of those to do some gaming.  

#6 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Pretty underwhelming really and probably will not be compatible with DirecTV. Hopefully I'll be wrong about that. The XboxOne will also not play used games and this point also seems like a pretty big misstep. Perhaps this will simply be the lay of the land going forward as Sony has yet to confirm or deny their plans on that front.

Will go with the PS4 since I already own a PS Vita and am pretty excited about their compatibility. Can't wait to see what E3 will bring about.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

The lack of backwards compatibility will make me sit on the sidelines till a full slate of decent games are released.  The nausea inducing interface doesn't help either.

Both Microsoft and Sony went this route. With the complete architecture redesign, it's not a surprise.

#8 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

Pretty underwhelming really and probably will not be compatible with DirecTV. Hopefully I'll be wrong about that. The XboxOne will also not play used games and this point also seems like a pretty big misstep. Perhaps this will simply be the lay of the land going forward as Sony has yet to confirm or deny their plans on that front.
Will go with the PS4 since I already own a PS Vita and am pretty excited about their compatibility. Can't wait to see what E3 will bring about.

Where are you seeing that they will not let you play used games? That is a flat out lie.

#9 OFFLINE   YakeVlad

YakeVlad

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are basing your comment about used games on the recent Wired article. However, Microsoft has stated that is not the case, that the Xbox One WILL support used games as referenced here and here as well as in Microsofts own Q&A page for the Xbox One.

Also, Wired updated its "original feature noting that Microsoft contacted them to clarify a plan is in place for used games, but did not detail it. One of Microsoft's official Xbox Support twitter accounts says there are in fact "no fees" associated with used games and the Wired feature is incorrect." Wired's updated article still makes mention of a fee.

The details on how Xbox One deals with used games are sketchy at the moment with Microsoft saying they will be supported but it will be different than in the current and previous Gen consoles.

#10 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

We shall see which way it goes but I'm not confident they will allow used games regardless of what is being said.  Sketchy is the perfect word.. 

Wellwellwell, look what I read here.  The G-Stop president is probably just going by the the above comment though. 

http://www.gamesindu...s-can-be-resold

Edited by fireponcoal, 22 May 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   ronton3

ronton3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

I could care less about the games, but I may get one to supplement the ROKU and ATV.  Just to try something different.  ron

#12 OFFLINE   NewView

NewView

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

Microsoft has been quite cagey about its plans for games licensing on the new Xbox One, but multiple reports now suggest there's going to be very little incentive for a second-hand games market anymore, and buyers could get stung with extra charges.

On Thursday Consoledeals.co.uk received a note from a senior member of a UK retailer saying that each second-hand Xbox One game will require a £35 ($53) activation fee to run. The source also claimed that would limit the resale price for used games to 10 per cent off the full retail cost.

Now MCV reports another industry source saying that while Microsoft isn't setting prices per se, they are setting up a royalty system for themselves and the game publisher on second hand purchases that provides little incentive for the stocking of a second-hand selection. The store will get about the same percentage of the cost of a game as it would for a new sale.

http://www.theregist...hand_games_drm/

Goodby Xbox ... Hello PS4

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB
HR21-200

#13 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Looks like DirecTV is working with Xbox/Microsoft. looking at this http://news.xbox.com...-one-smartglass.  Those are DirecTV channel # locations if I am not mistaken.  Now if Smart Glass can work as well as they say in the article this could/would be very cool.

Edited by sum_random_dork, 06 September 2013 - 11:33 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...