Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Program 2 remotes to Genie?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Got the Genie HR34 today. On our HR20 that was in that location, hubby and I each had our own remote that both controlled the HR20, the TV power on/off, and Yamaha receiver volume. Now I'm having trouble programming a second remote to do the same. One is programmed, and when I do the other one for the Yamaha volume, it finds the code, the volume control works, but when I exit out of the Program Remote screen and try to adjust volume, I get the message "you are pressing a button that isn't programmed." Have repeated the process many times with no luck. What am I missing, or can this not be done for some reason?

Also, when we had the 2 remotes on the HR20 working , they were on RF. I don't remember why they were on RF, but this always worked, and didn't interfere with any other Directv equipment in the house. Installer put the remotes to IR today, as we were moving equip around the house. I think I have tried now both ways (can't remember, I've done it so many times now), but can still only get one remote to program to the Genie.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

once you have found the code for the AVR, you need to lock it for all devices 

1. slide to switch AV1 or AV2

2. Press and hold MUTE and SELECT (light flashes twice)

3. Enter 993

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

I reset all remotes and started over. Now I can't get any remote to program correctly. I want to be able to power on/off tv, and control volume on AVR. What should I program first? I started with TV, but that then programs volume to TV, which I don't want, since volume goes thru AVR. But when I try to do AV1 for the AVR, it doesn't work. I get a code that will power off the AVR, but still can't complete the process for volume control.

#4 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

OHHH. OK, do both of your remotes have an "X" after the model? (RC65RX, RC65X?)

If so, program the first remote for all your options (including AVR power) and then go to Program Remote -> Advanced Setups -> Volume Lock -> Yamaha AVR for it to send the code to the remote. Then get your second remote, go to Remote Control -> Copy Settings and that should send all the codes to the second remote.

Also after you have both remotes programmed for everything properly then you can change it to RF and you'll have to do the RF setup on both of them.

Edited by JBv, 21 May 2013 - 08:34 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#5 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

OHHH. OK, do both of your remotes have an "X" after the model? (RC65RX, RC65X?)If so, program the first remote for all your options (including AVR power) and then go to Program Remote -> Advanced Setups -> Volume Lock -> Yamaha AVR for it to send the code to the remote. Then get your second remote, go to Remote Control -> Copy Settings and that should send all the codes to the second remote.Also after you have both remotes programmed for everything properly then you can change it to RF and you'll have to do the RF setup on both of them.

One of my remotes is an NFL DTV remote, it is RC64RB. Other one is RC65X. I had the first one working earlier today, but then I reset it after all of these problems. Can I still use this remote with the genie?

#6 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

The RC65X is a new remote that the installer left me today. I also have an older one (the second one we issued to use) which is RC64R. It doesn't even control the genie at all right now, because I think it is set to RF.

Which 2 remotes can/should I use?

#7 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

One of my remotes is an NFL DTV remote, it is RC64RB. Other one is RC65X. I had the first one working earlier today, but then I reset it after all of these problems. Can I still use this remote with the genie?

Yeah you can use both remotes with the Genie. So this is what you'll want to do, setup your RC65X remote through the menus (including the Volume Lock option), then program the RC64RB NFL remote manually using the codes found here. Also keep in mind the RC65X remote is NOT an RF remote, so they'll both only work in IR. If you want an RF remote (currently RC66RBX is the one being sent out) you would need to call and order one (or go online and order one, but since this was just activated you'd have a pretty good chance of getting the RF remote at no charge instead of the $25 they would be online).

The RC65X is a new remote that the installer left me today. I also have an older one (the second one we issued to use) which is RC64R. It doesn't even control the genie at all right now, because I think it is set to RF.

Which 2 remotes can/should I use?

I would use the RC64R and RC64RB if you want to use RF. If you put the RC65X remote away and reboot the Genie and use the RC64RB with it, it will know that it has one of the older remotes and will show the codes on the screen (currently it knows it has a new remote [with the X after the model] and that's why it's not showing you any remote codes). All three of them will work fine in IR though.

Edited by JBv, 21 May 2013 - 08:46 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#8 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Yeah you can use both remotes with the Genie. So this is what you'll want to do, setup your RC65X remote through the menus (including the Volume Lock option), then program the RC64RB NFL remote manually using the codes found here. Also keep in mind the RC65X remote is NOT an RF remote, so they'll both only work in IR. If you want an RF remote (currently RC66RBX is the one being sent out) you would need to call and order one (or go online and order one, but since this was just activated you'd have a pretty good chance of getting the RF remote at no charge instead of the $25 they would be online).

When programming the first one, should I program TV or AVR first? I don't want volume control from TV.

#9 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Program it to the TV, then the AVR. Then while it is still under AV1 hold down Mute + Select until the light flashes, then hit 993 and Select to lock the volume to AV1. That way it still does the TV power but whenever you hit Volume it goes to AV1.

Edited by JBv, 21 May 2013 - 08:51 PM.

DirecTV Employee

#10 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

This might be a dumb question, but for doing the TV, do I select "Setup TV"? When I do that, it flashes but nothing happens. If I select "Setup AV1" I get a list of equipment to choose. Why doesn't setup tv bring up a menu?

#11 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

This might be a dumb question, but for doing the TV, do I select "Setup TV"? When I do that, it flashes but nothing happens. If I select "Setup AV1" I get a list of equipment to choose. Why doesn't setup tv bring up a menu?

That is odd. It should bring up either a list of brands, or depending on the TV it may just bring you right to the page with the codes (my LG TV makes me choose the brand, but my Toshiba TV immediately goes to "Setup instructions for Toshiba TV")

Your best bet (especially with multiple remotes) is probably going to be just putting in the codes from DirecTV's website in manually.
DirecTV Employee

#12 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

I finally got this working, but it was very counter-intuitive, IMO. I never was able to program the remote to the TV using the on-screen menus that come up with the RC65X remote. Instead, I did it the "old" way, slid switch to TV, Mute+Select, entered 10093 (for Sharp TV). This worked, and my volume bar showed on screen when I pushed volume up/down. Then, I used the on-screen menus to program AV1 to the Yamaha AVR. It had to attempt 2 codes before it worked. Then, I locked volume for all devices by doing Mute+Select, 993 Select. Very important: you have to exit out of the menus by selecting Done, or it doesn't take.

For the NFL remote (RC64RB), I did basically the same thing, but the on-screen menus are the old menus for this remote. So when I got to the AVR, I had to try several Yamaha codes before I found one that worked. Once I did, I locked the volume, and it is also working.

I left both remotes in IR for now, will change it later if the need arises.

I hope this helps someone else avoid the frustration I had tonight. The most important thing to note is that you have to have a TV code entered first before you can program the remote for anything else. I saw this stated on the DTV forums also, in a thread that was describing a problem similar to mine.

Thank you, JBv!

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

The most important thing to note is that you have to have a TV code entered first before you can program the remote for anything else.

Not quite.  you need to have a TV code programmed in order for the volume pass through to work.  you can program the AV and use the AV position to toggle to volume.  an example of this is if you have a projector with no volume control

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Not quite.  you need to have a TV code programmed in order for the volume pass through to work.  you can program the AV and use the AV position to toggle to volume.  an example of this is if you have a projector with no volume control

Actually you need a tv code programmed in or the volume keys won't work at all. Even if you only have av volume in single device, it not just for punch through.

aka Tivoburkee

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Actually you need a tv code programmed in or the volume keys won't work at all. Even if you only have av volume in single device, it not just for punch through.

thanks edmund

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...