Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie, Version 0x06D8 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

This update rolled on to my HR34 a few days ago. It's running better overall but I noticed that smart search no longer has th Far In Advance functionality. This really sucks for me because I use it to search for shows all that time that aren't in my usual 2 week guide window.

You might want to look for a few other items as I should be there for items that have data. DIRECTV doesn't get Far in Advance data for all programs (though I suspect there are more and more all the time.) :) So if you don't see something, that more likely means DIRECTV doesn't have the data yet.

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 158 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

You might want to look for a few other items as I should be there for items that have data. DIRECTV doesn't get Far in Advance data for all programs (though I suspect there are more and more all the time.) :) So if you don't see something, that more likely means DIRECTV doesn't have the data yet.

Peace,

Tom

Thanks for the heads up, however I was searching for "The Dark Knight Rises" which is set to premier on HBO on June 15. It caught me off guard because I've been able to search for premiers and re-airs before without issue. My search term "dark" couldn't even find an airing of The Dark Knight, which I find hard to believe wouldn't be playing on at least one of my channels (other than $$ on demand).

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#23 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

The last two updates have really screwed with my picture quality. The first update that was quickly supplanted with his update, initially seemed to screw with the picture making live sports especially, look like it was a bad video feed with lots of motion artifacts. This update seemed to help somewhat, but I am still seeing poor video quality especially on live sports. The sports do not look live. There appears to be a slight hesitation in the picture. I was watching a movie yesterday on one of the premium channels - can't recall which channel - and in some of the shots, the background would look like it was pulsing. Also, when the ESPN scroller on the bottom of the screen goes by, it's blurry as hell.

Sorry for the lame descriptions, but I am not sure how to describe it. None of this happened before the last 2 updates. I don't know if they messed with the HDMI or if its somehow affecting the harddrive. Watching the same channel thru an HR24 on an identical TV does not exhibit these problems. Maybe these problems are amplified becasue I am watching on a 60" TV. But as I said, none of these problems existed before the last 2 updates. If I could roll back to the prior releases I wold do so in a heartbeat. Hopefully someone is reading these from D* and can get the picture quality back to the top quality I had before.

Update -

Sorry, did not specify I have an HR34 running via HDMI thru my Pioneer AV receiver; My BluRay/PS3 also run via HDMI thru my receiver and I have no issues wiith the picture quality at all.

Thanks.

I have no problems with the picture quality with the HR34 / HR44 running through a Pioneer AV receiver. I did initially have problems with the video blanking out and audio was fine and when picture returned my tv showed it switching resolutions. I changed HDMI cables and all has been well. I also had to reset the resolutions on the HR34 since it only had 480P checked. I would go to menu-settings-display-tv resolutions and make sure the ones your tv supports are checked. I also have Native turned on - to check the setting menu-settings-display-video. I also have video upscaling turned off on the Pioneer receiver.

Edited by samthegam, 04 June 2013 - 03:51 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   EmilG

EmilG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

I have a HR34 and received the update a few days ago.

At first I didn't notice anything different but then in the process of messing with some 3D stuff my guide went to a lower resolution and has stayed there!

This is a good thing because it now responds pretty quickly vs. the previously almost unbearable delays.

I also noticed the graphic advertising for new programs or PPV are lower resolution.

The speed up is very welcome, I much rather have prompt response vs. pretty pictures in the channel slots.

I can't say I see any difference on the C31 however.

Panasonic P65VT30
Panasonic L42E50
HR34, C31

#25 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts
  • LocationWinter Park, Florida

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

Well, if they went to a lower resolution to speed up the response of the guide, then I hate it. I wold easliy sacrifice a faster quide for the highest picture quality possibe. And now thatyou mention it, it sure does seem to me that all the sports channels, at least, have worse pictures during live sports. Maybe they cut back on the resolution across the board.I hope not. I would be really disappointed if D* did that.

GO GATORS!!!

#26 OFFLINE   EmilG

EmilG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Well, if they went to a lower resolution to speed up the response of the guide, then I hate it. I wold easliy sacrifice a faster quide for the highest picture quality possibe. And now thatyou mention it, it sure does seem to me that all the sports channels, at least, have worse pictures during live sports. Maybe they cut back on the resolution across the board.I hope not. I would be really disappointed if D* did that.

They lowered the resolution of the guide, not the picture.

The picture quality is still the same - excellent.

Panasonic P65VT30
Panasonic L42E50
HR34, C31

#27 OFFLINE   indiix2

indiix2

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

Does everyone with this update see a lower res Menu screen? Mine went lower res a few days ago and i've been trying everything under the sun to fix it back. I thought maybe something had happened when my Harmony HD got stuck under an iPad that was put on top of it. The remote started firing off commands and the DVR went berserk for a few moments scrolling through the menu until it finally got caught up with the buffer of all the commands sent to it. However it appears that the menu is in SD while the picture quality to me is still the same (HD 1080p is all i have selected in the Setting menu). But to me this sucks, because my Guide has always been rock solid and super fast in HD and seeing the crappy lower quality guide and running at the exact same speed is a big step backward for me. It looks like crap IMHO. 

So i'm asking are others seeing this issue, or could something be out of sorts with mine?

Edited by indiix2, 04 June 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Does everyone with this update see a lower res Menu screen? Mine went lower res a few days ago and i've been trying everything under the sun to fix it back. I thought maybe something had happened when my Harmony HD got stuck under an iPad that was put on top of it. The remote started firing off commands and the DVR went berserk for a few moments scrolling through the menu until it finally got caught up with the buffer of all the commands sent to it. However it appears that the menu is in SD while the picture quality to me is still the same (HD 1080p is all i have selected in the Setting menu). But to me this sucks, because my Guide has always been rock solid and super fast in HD and seeing the crappy lower quality guide and running at the exact same speed is a big step backward for me. It looks like crap IMHO. 

So i'm asking are others seeing this issue, or could something be out of sorts with mine?

On my HR34-700 when I'm viewing a HD channel the menu is in HD. When I'm viewing a SD channel the menu is in SD.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#29 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

I'm seeing reduced quality in everything, guide and the picture. The reduced picture quality is mostly noticable to me, as I said before, which watching live sports, especially the NHL playoffs on NBCSN. Also, the ticker on ESPN looks awful and is blurry most of the time. All this was fine until the last 2 updates. If D* is cutting back on picture quality, I am going to be very disappointed, to say the least. EmilG and indiix2, how big are your TV screens?

GO GATORS!!!

#30 OFFLINE   indiix2

indiix2

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'm seeing reduced quality in everything, guide and the picture. The reduced picture quality is mostly noticable to me, as I said before, which watching live sports, especially the NHL playoffs on NBCSN. Also, the ticker on ESPN looks awful and is blurry most of the time. All this was fine until the last 2 updates. If D* is cutting back on picture quality, I am going to be very disappointed, to say the least. EmilG and indiix2, how big are your TV screens?

Mine is a 50" Panasonic plasma. I get an SD menu on either HD or nonHD channels.

#31 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

I have a 60" Pioneer and while the guide to me doesn't look full SD on HD channels, it doesn't appare to be full HD anymore. Just like the picture. It's harder to notice on my other 42" (Samsung) and 50" (Pioneer) inch TVs but it is really pretty noticable on my 60" box. I'm hopefull this is just a sowtware glitch and it will get fixed soon.

GO GATORS!!!

#32 OFFLINE   EmilG

EmilG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

I have a 65" Panny so it's very apparent. Make sure your screen resolutions didn't get changed also.

Look at my post #24 above, the answer is yes.

My HR34 was very slow going down/up page by page in the guide, it would take a few seconds. If I would hold the scroll it was fast but actually too fast. Right now at the lower res it does a page down/up in about a second and at least for me all I'm interested in is getting information, it don't have to be pretty.

Edited by EmilG, 05 June 2013 - 05:27 AM.

Panasonic P65VT30
Panasonic L42E50
HR34, C31

#33 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

All the resolutions in video settings in the HR34 are checked so i am getting whatever is being pumped out by the HR34. I do have Native off - I've always been a bit confused if that should be on or off. For the most part, I leave it off. If I should turn it on, someone please let me know.

GO GATORS!!!

#34 OFFLINE   EmilG

EmilG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

All the resolutions in video settings in the HR34 are checked so i am getting whatever is being pumped out by the HR34. I do have Native off - I've always been a bit confused if that should be on or off. For the most part, I leave it off. If I should turn it on, someone please let me know.

Maybe you should try just selecting your native resolution which is probably 1080i and 1080p, deselect the others.

Native means the resolution as it is sent from the station goes directly to the tv. When you turn it off the HR34 does the up/down scaling for you. Normally when you're scanning channels keeping native off is faster.

Panasonic P65VT30
Panasonic L42E50
HR34, C31

#35 OFFLINE   indiix2

indiix2

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

When I turned on my tv today there was a message to push the Res button on the front until it gets to 1080i. That solved my menu problem! Back in HD again.
  • EmilG likes this

#36 OFFLINE   mrcon0728

mrcon0728

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

Having slow remote control responses, 2-3 second delays between button pushes.

#37 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

HR44-700 Trickplay isn't as smooth or as fast as the HR24, even ffwd 4x speed creates some delay but not too much
There is definitely some Trickplay glitch even on the HR34.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#38 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thank you for everybody's suggestions and help. I am still not convinced there isn't an issue with my receiver. Even though the resolution settings are correct, everything, especially sports, looks like it is in a bit of slow motion With a great deal of motion artifact. Everything looks like it's on video, not live. It used to look like I was looking through a pane of glass at a game. Now it looks like I'm watching the off a video.

At this point I am tired of messing with it. I know there has been a change and I still believe it is the receiver. I don't know how I would get DirecTV to replace the receiver. I do have the protection plan but I am afraid if somebody sees the picture who is not used to the way it was before the updates, they will not agree that there is something wrong with it. I guess it comes down to a matter of degree and what you think is acceptable or not. I suppose it is subjective. If anyone has any ideas on where I should go from this point, I would appreciate hearing them. In the meantime, again, thank you for all your assistance.
GO GATORS!!!

#39 OFFLINE   dshafer

dshafer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

How do you reselect the RF remote. I have hr44-500, started using the RF remote and really like it, but tried out the old IR. Went to setting - Remote setup and switched to IR, but now I want to go back and the IR/RF setup select is greyed out. Is there no way to go back to RF?

#40 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 836 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

I've switched back and forth following the on-screen instructions.

Steve

My Setup

spam firewall