Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers, and R22, Version 0x06D8 -- Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

LiQiCE -- I have a third receiver, a HR34, besides the the HR23 and the HR24.  The HR34 works perfectly.  The three receivers are side-by-side in the living room, seperated by about four feet each.  The DTV tech rewired all of the cables and swapped them around.  He even put in new splitters.  My HR23 and HR24 work perfectly in all respects except for the temporary freezing when I press RECORD. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Are you pressing Record in the Guide, or on a live show, or other? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#183 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:16 AM

If I record on the HR24 from the Guide, the DVR is frozen for at least the first 30 seconds of the recordings, but the complete program is recorded just fine.  If I press the red RECORD button to record on the fly, I get the same freeze, but the recording starts from where I pressed the button.  The only issue for me that I cannot make a partial recording of leass than 30 seconds.  Actually, that's not a big deal.  On the other hand, my HR23 freezes when I press RECORD for at least 60 seconds.  Yesterday it froze for 120 seconds. I can't make a partial recording of less than 60 seconds on my HR23.  Of course, before I make a partial recording, I quickly change channels and change back so as to erase the buffer.  That's something about DTV that sticks in my craw, what ever a craw is, i.e. that there is no easy way to erase the buffer.  My suggestion is that if a person presses the EXIT button three times quickly, the buffer should be erased.  Thanks.

#184 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

Thanks, I think I understand, but don't really have any solutions. Telling you it was never intended to facilitate clippings won't do much good, will it?

I've wished for an ability to save clippings from shows, but I don't think that's going to happen. 

#185 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,526 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

If I record on the HR24 from the Guide, the DVR is frozen for at least the first 30 seconds of the recordings, but the complete program is recorded just fine.  If I press the red RECORD button to record on the fly, I get the same freeze, but the recording starts from where I pressed the button.  The only issue for me that I cannot make a partial recording of leass than 30 seconds.  Actually, that's not a big deal.  On the other hand, my HR23 freezes when I press RECORD for at least 60 seconds.  Yesterday it froze for 120 seconds. I can't make a partial recording of less than 60 seconds on my HR23.  Of course, before I make a partial recording, I quickly change channels and change back so as to erase the buffer.  That's something about DTV that sticks in my craw, what ever a craw is, i.e. that there is no easy way to erase the buffer.  My suggestion is that if a person presses the EXIT button three times quickly, the buffer should be erased.  Thanks.

You have me curious what you might be recording that only requires 60-seconds, and how you keep track of what's what, since those partials get the full show title? :)

I sometimes change channels to flush the buffer when I want to spot-record an upcoming segment on a morning show, like Today, because it might be upcoming at 9:10 AM and if I just hit record I could get up to 90 minutes of buffer I don't want. Once the segment ends, I stop the recording and save the partial. It's usually a 3-4 minute segment tho.

/steve

#186 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

I do find it funny you want an easy way to flush the buffer, as that's one thing most peope explode over if they lose their buffer. The only time I like to flush a buffer is if I have watched half a sports program but then want to record the last half I don't need it to grab the entire first half too at that point.

I too am very curios what you are trying to gain or do with such short clips. Do you know they are coming up at a specific time? You must if you know exactly when to flush the buffer, so I'd say maybe try setting manual recordings for them?

#187 OFFLINE   gheitz12

gheitz12

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

I have two HR24-100s. One has an external hard drive attached with an eSata cable. The external HD is a

2TB model and has worked flawlessly for 15 months. Suddenly, a few weeks ago, the HR24 rebooted and

my external hard drive is no longer recognized by the HR24-100. 

I assumed that the external hard drive was at fault so I removed it and used the USB connector to check

the external hard drive on my computer. It worked fine with my computer. That made me believe the problem

was with the eSata cable. I bought a new eSata cable and reattached the external hard drive to the

HR24-100. After rebooting the receiver, the external hard drive was still not recognized by the receiver.

I had another 1TB external hard drive (that I used with my DirecTV receiver before buying the larger 2TB

replacement) that I connected to the HR24-100. It also was not recognized by the HR24. I thought that

the connection on the receiver must have gone bad so I attached the external hard drive to my other

HR24-100. Neither external hard drive was recognized on that receiver either.

I noticed that my problems began soon after a software update. Both receivers were updated on June 18

with version 0x6d8.

Is this a problem for anyone else? Are there any suggestions for things that may help?

#188 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

I hate it too when my buffer erases itself all on its own.  I still want to be able to erase the buffer when I want to do it.  I don't think very many people would inadvertantly bress the EXIT button three times.  Manually recording partials (clips) is pretty hit and miss because commercials are often inserted willy nilly.  In real time, yes I usually know when to flush the buffer, or at least I can make an educated guess.  Sometimes, on both accounts, I win, sometimes I lose.  I know that something is a partial recording by the total  length of time of the recording mentioned in the GUIDE.  Think of it like this.  Jennifer Anniston is about to come into the roon wearing a very tight T-shirt and no bra.  She walks acorss the room and then exits somewhere.  I only want the 20 seconds where she is on camera, nipples poping.  Another thing I do is save excellent clips to my computer.  I use a Hauppauge 1212 to go from the DTV DVR to my computer.  The 1212 allows you to save the video in 1080i if the program is in 1080i.  Marvelous pictures on your computer.  Thats 1080i, not 480p. 

#189 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

I hate it too when my buffer erases itself all on its own.  I still want to be able to erase the buffer when I want to do it.  I don't think very many people would inadvertantly bress the EXIT button three times.  Manually recording partials (clips) is pretty hit and miss because commercials are often inserted willy nilly.  In real time, yes I usually know when to flush the buffer, or at least I can make an educated guess.  Sometimes, on both accounts, I win, sometimes I lose.  I know that something is a partial recording by the total  length of time of the recording mentioned in the GUIDE.  Think of it like this.  Jennifer Anniston is about to come into the roon wearing a very tight T-shirt and no bra.  She walks acorss the room and then exits somewhere.  I only want the 20 seconds where she is on camera, nipples poping.  Another thing I do is save excellent clips to my computer.  I use a Hauppauge 1212 to go from the DTV DVR to my computer.  The 1212 allows you to save the video in 1080i if the program is in 1080i.  Marvelous pictures on your computer.  Thats 1080i, not 480p. 

Yes but how many people would need to do what you're doing?  Would there be enough to make it worth the cost to code those suggestions into the firmware?

I doubt it and expect it's never going to happen.

My 4.8¢ FWIW. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#190 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Mike, I think you're right.  BTW:  Here's a vid cap from my computer of a 1080i taken off of channel 564 bu the Hauppauge 1212.  I even think Flikr reduces the quality:

http://www.flickr.co...N08/8734210505/

#191 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Nice. Subjects at that range, when attractive (!) look fine, very fine, the Jennifer Anniston look included. But closer in or with action, the resolution would show up as weak. What rez. are the stills when you captured them? 

Do you get full 1080i on the 1212 on playback? 

#192 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Laxguy -- using the Hauppauge 1212, what you see on your TV screen is pretty much what you see on your computer screen, closeups, action, whatever.  Whatever resolution your DVR is feeding to the 1212, that same resoultion goes to your conputer's hard drive except for 1080p.  The 1212 cannont handle 1080p because it connects to your DVR via component cables (YPbPr) which carry data only up to 1080i.  In fact, my monitor screen is a little better than my TV so I see greater latitude and less pixelation in the picture on my monitor.  The video/audio goes to your computer vis a USB connection.  I simply use a 25 foot printer cable.  The picture I posted of Farrah Fawcett was captured from my VLC media player.  Best  media player in my opinion.  The original image was filmed on 35mm film 37 years ago and transferred to 1080i tape.  When you record video data to your computer with the 1212, the quality is proportional to the actual value of the video being broadcast.  Live stuff on 1080i looks better than the old Charlie's Angels stuff.  The software that comes with the 1212 is pretty good.  You have user controls for the bitrate so you go up to 13.5 mbps for a real sharp image, and you can also control things like brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, and sharpness before you record video data to your computer from your DVR.  Starting and stopping a recording is just a simple click of the mouse.  

http://www.hauppauge...data_hdpvr.html

I don't know why they don't tell you that the model number is 1212.

#193 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

Thanks! If I didn't have enough to do now with TV, recorders, iDevices, and going to actual movie houses, I'd get one! 

#194 OFFLINE   Halo

Halo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

LiQiCE- Thanks for discovering the source of those absurd lock-ups and slow-downs.

With the deletion of autorecords of the format: ie AALL ANGELS LIVE EVENTS CCHAN 692 both receivers have returned to their former unsatisfactory but at least useable condition. Seven years into development and Directv users are still subjected to these kinds of sloppy and annoying bugs that cause receivers to be totally unresponsive for long periods of time. They still suck. They still ignore commands... but at least they usually work now , albeit with the loss of some core functionality (you have to manually record each game). I write embedded firmware in addition to asic design. This is garbage. I would be humiliated to release this bug-fest of kludge to even one customer, let alone millions. 

#195 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

Thanks! If I didn't have enough to do now with TV, recorders, iDevices, and going to actual movie houses, I'd get one! 

You'll think about it for a while, then go back to the Hauppauge site, then say to yourself, "Ah, there is stuff on my DVRs that's irreplaceable that I want on my computer, to have forever, and beside, if I save to my computer just the important stuff, I can free up a lot of disc space on my DVRs."  Then you will go out and buy a Hauppauge 1212.  It's only $200, and guaranteed, it's the best little toy you will ever own.   

#196 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

So, what, you head of Marketing, or something??

:hurah:

You are convincing, but I need to get a few other ducks lined up. 

#197 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

You'll think about it for a while, then go back to the Hauppauge site, then say to yourself, "Ah, there is stuff on my DVRs that's irreplaceable that I want on my computer, to have forever, and beside, if I save to my computer just the important stuff, I can free up a lot of disc space on my DVRs."  Then you will go out and buy a Hauppauge 1212.  It's only $200, and guaranteed, it's the best little toy you will ever own.   

Then spend another $60 or $70 for a good Blu-ray burner for your PC and using free software like MultiAVCHD you can burn the things you download to a Blu-ray disc and keep it forever without using space on your DVR or PC.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#198 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

The Blu-ray a good idea when I get around to saving each of the 84 one hour episodes of Charlie's Angels I have on my DVRs.  In the meantime, I have 8 Terabytes of space on my 2 PCs, and the longest clip of the many hundreds, many thousands, I have saved is only 6 minutes.  Most of then are somewhere between 30 seconds and two minutes.  Each clip is backed up 3 times between the 4 hard drives.  I hate messing with CDs.  It's so much less hassel than to just click the mouse.  Total random access on the PC also.  Space on my 3 DVRs is not a problem because each of them has a 2TB drive, and that's one of the values of the Hauppauge 1212.  I'll record a two-hour movie like THE WHOLE NINE YARDS on my DVR. All I want out of that movie is the 2 minutes where Amanda Peete is naked for two minutes.  Save those two minutes to the PC and, voila, delete the whole 2 hour movie from my DVR. 

#199 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

The Blu-ray a good idea when I get around to saving each of the 84 one hour episodes of Charlie's Angels I have on my DVRs.  In the meantime, I have 8 Terabytes of space on my 2 PCs, and the longest clip of the many hundreds, many thousands, I have saved is only 6 minutes.  Most of then are somewhere between 30 seconds and two minutes.  Each clip is backed up 3 times between the 4 hard drives.  I hate messing with CDs.  It's so much less hassel than to just click the mouse.  Total random access on the PC also.  Space on my 3 DVRs is not a problem because each of them has a 2TB drive, and that's one of the values of the Hauppauge 1212.  I'll record a two-hour movie like THE WHOLE NINE YARDS on my DVR. All I want out of that movie is the 2 minutes where Amanda Peete is naked for two minutes.  Save those two minutes to the PC and, voila, delete the whole 2 hour movie from my DVR. 

Sounds like what you are doing would be easier finding it on the web and just record it from there.

• damondlt likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#200 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,029 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Think of it like this.  Jennifer Anniston is about to come into the roon wearing a very tight T-shirt and no bra.  She walks acorss the room and then exits somewhere.  I only want the 20 seconds where she is on camera, nipples poping.  Another thing I do is save excellent clips to my computer.

All I want out of that movie is the 2 minutes where Amanda Peete is naked for two minutes. 

Are you kidding me? you seriously need to get laid.  :rotfl:  :rolling:  

This thread is about software bugs, not information on how to record nipple shots off the TV! !rolling

http://www.fyretv.com/

Here for less then $20 a month you can pause. rewind, slow mo. 

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

spam firewall