Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers, and R22, Version 0x06D8 -- Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

LIQICE

The thing is, I have never had one of my receivers to do the things you and others list. My worst problem with speed is that on some firmware changes in the last 2 years it could take as much as 8 seconds for it to change channels. I have never had my receiver freeze up like you and others describe.
I have to think it has something to do with the DECAs inline or being connected with Ethernet cables.
I have none of that, no whole home, no internet.
Both of my HR24-100 receivers get the guide up in about 2 to 3 seconds at most and change channels in about 4 to 5 seconds with Native turned on and switching from a 1080i channel to a 720p channel.

I absolutely agree that adding network services is related to the problems with the HR24 slowness.  But - I have to think it can be fixed because I've never had the problem before 0x062c.  I switched from DECA to Ethernet and that helped when I was on 0x06BD, but it did not eliminate the problem.  The thing is - I'm paying for MRV, so I think I should be able to use it and have the receiver work as expected as well.  Before 0x66d I did not have any problems - my experience with my HR24 is much like you have currently.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

My current experiment is to pull networking completely and see how the machine reacts for a few days. I just pulled the ethernet cable an hour ago (but think I'm going try and do something besides be in front a screen for a few hours) be good to see whether or not thing improve with no networking enabled - though DECA will kick back in if it resets I think...

#43 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Unfortunately - like kkl said, if you're having slowness or freezing issues with 0x06BD, it doesn't seem like 0x06D8 fully cures the problem.  It makes it incrementally better - but I sure wish I could go back to the NR before 0x066c (I think it was 0x062c) which worked beautifully for me.

0x062c was the last software that worked properly on my HR24 and my HR23.

• MercurialIN likes this

#44 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

HR24-500 0x06D8

Report ID #: 20130603-42FC

Guide took about 1 minute to come up.  During this time, the HR24 is completely unresponsive, remote commands do nothing - not even blinking on the front of the receiver.  Pressing buttons on the front of the receiver also results in no response.

#45 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

You know that sometimes IR interference can cause this to happen.
Next time it hangs up, try taking your TV remote and turn the TV off. Then use the DTV remote and change the channel and see if the light blinks on the receiver. Turn the TV back on and see if it changed channels. If it did, your TV is overloading the sensor on the receiver with IR signals.
If it is happening there are a few ways to stop it from doing that.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#46 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

You know that sometimes IR interference can cause this to happen.
Next time it hangs up, try taking your TV remote and turn the TV off. Then use the DTV remote and change the channel and see if the light blinks on the receiver. Turn the TV back on and see if it changed channels. If it did, your TV is overloading the sensor on the receiver with IR signals.
If it is happening there are a few ways to stop it from doing that.

jimmie57 -

Yes, TV interference could be an issue - I have experienced this when I had a Harmony One with IR Repeater, it did not work at all due to interference from the TV.

However, now I have a Harmony 900 RF Remote with IR Blasters so interference shouldn't be an issue.  I can also confirm that I can control other devices such as my receiver with no problem at the same time I am having issues with the HR24.

I also usually get up and physically press the buttons on the HR24 - there is no IR interference that could occur with pressing the buttons on the front of the HR24.  That is why I state this in my posts (as I did in the post previous to yours) - to confirm the issue is independent of the Remote batteries dying, IR interference, or some other issue related to the remote and not the HR24.

It also would not explain why I have had zero issues with 0x62c and only started having issues with 0x66c.

#47 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

IR interference can lock up the DTV receiver and not other items. It appears that DTV has a poor filter on the lens of the sensor.

It can also cause the physical buttons to not respond on the receiver.

What I described for a test is quick and easy to do.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#48 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

IR interference can lock up the DTV receiver and not other items. It appears that DTV has a poor filter on the lens of the sensor.

It can also cause the physical buttons to not respond on the receiver.

What I described for a test is quick and easy to do.

Ok - I didn't think the front buttons would stop working due to IR interference - but I'll give it a try and post the results when I'm at home to try.  Thanks.

#49 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Ok - I didn't think the front buttons would stop working due to IR interference - but I'll give it a try and post the results when I'm at home to try.  Thanks.

Unfortunately this did not work.  Today I pressed the Guide button when coming home - the guide did not display anything - like it always does when it freezes.  I turned off the TV - and started pressing buttons (Exit was the one I pressed) - the HR24 did not blink its lights at all.  I turned the TV back on - and the Guide was still frozen - no data was displayed and it still did not respond to commands - nor did the Exit command work - it was still at the frozen guide.  After about a minute - the Guide data finally populated.

Actually - now that I think about it - I don't understand how IR interference would cause the guide to be frozen with no data loaded.  It responds with the Guide command - how could IR interference cause the Guide to misbehave?

Here is an example of what the guide looks like when I press the guide button and it freezes:

Picture

Anyway - thanks for the idea, but I don't think IR interference is my problem.

Edited by LiQiCE, 04 June 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

HR24-500 0x06d8

Report ID: 20130604-2D8E

Receiver took 36 seconds to load guide.  I filmed it with my camera.  Sorry for the poor focus - I couldn't get the camera to re-focus after I focused on the remote.

The video is rather boring - but hopefully people will start to understand what the problem is and maybe people will see this problem is being caused by something wrong with the firmware.  It may be a combination of issues - but one of them is definitely firmware.

Edited by LiQiCE, 04 June 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

HR24-500 0x06d8

Report ID: 20130604-2D8E

Receiver took 36 seconds to load guide.  I filmed it with my camera.  Sorry for the poor focus - I couldn't get the camera to re-focus after I focused on the remote.

The video is rather boring - but hopefully people will start to understand what the problem is and maybe people will see this problem is being caused by something wrong with the firmware.  It may be a combination of issues - but one of them is definitely firmware.

Good example. Same issue with my HR34, with both Guide and List screens. Menu button also slow to respond. These issues , for me anyway, are intermittent, they do not always occur, but are frequent enough to be frustrating.....

Edited by bnwrx, 04 June 2013 - 04:59 PM.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#52 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

HR24-500 0x06d8

Report ID #: 20130604-3952

Guide took almost a minute to come up this time.  I have another video - will post it after it encodes on Youtube.

Guide takes almost a minute to load (in focus):

A video of the HR24 becoming unresponsive without the guide - In the beginning I am pressing the "Info" key - nothing is happening.  Sorry I couldn't film both the remote and the TV and the HR24 at the same time ... Later you see that when I press buttons on the front of the HR24 - it does not blink, the HR24 is frozen and not responding - then it starts responding and blinks as normal.

Short video of guide loading normally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdkOCYTiw40

Don't know why the last video won't load or link properly, sorry.

Sorry for all the videos - if it is annoying (I dont think they should automatically start playing), I can try to change from embedded videos to links.

Edited by LiQiCE, 04 June 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for trying the suggestion. That is one thing out of the way.

When I watched your video I noticed that the receiver took the remote command right away and it just took all that extra time to process it and get it on the screen.

Have you asked them to come out and replace it and see what happens with a replacement ?

As much money as we pay for the service I would not keep working with a problem this bad.

#54 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for trying the suggestion. That is one thing out of the way.

When I watched your video I noticed that the receiver took the remote command right away and it just took all that extra time to process it and get it on the screen.

Have you asked them to come out and replace it and see what happens with a replacement ?

As much money as we pay for the service I would not keep working with a problem this bad.

My HR24-500 is owned, so I don't think they will replace it.  Plus - I don't think it is the hardware, other folks have had their HR24 replaced and it did not fix the problem, as soon as it receives the software update the problem occurs again.

• MercurialIN likes this

#55 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

I believe that they would replace it. However, I believe the replacement would be a lease.

The thing is that now they charge you for each connection whether you own the receiver or not so I don't see any difference in leased and owned.

If people are getting their receivers replaced and the problem remains when the software is updated there might be something unique to that particular manufacturer. I would be curious if it still happened with say a HR24-100, etc.

#56 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

I believe that they would replace it. However, I believe the replacement would be a lease.

The thing is that now they charge you for each connection whether you own the receiver or not so I don't see any difference in leased and owned.

If people are getting their receivers replaced and the problem remains when the software is updated there might be something unique to that particular manufacturer. I would be curious if it still happened with say a HR24-100, etc.

I suspect the problem is specific to the HR24-500s, and likely a specific batch of HR24-500s since not all HR24-500 owners have issues.  Perhaps the issue is related to a component related to the networking or something (If it were specific to DECA or Ethernet I would say it is the Network controller for one or the other - but since it impacts both - maybe it is something further upstream).

I don't think HR24-100 or HR24-200 owners have the problem - but I think others have posted in other firmware threads with these models reporting issues.  Definitely more widespread (at least 4 owners on here posting) with HR24-500 and only maybe 1 HR24-100/200 owner posting if I recall correctly.

#57 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Without the PP, a replacement is leased. Otherwise it owned as long as it is only a replacement.

#58 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Without the PP, a replacement is leased. Otherwise it owned as long as it is only a replacement.

So - I don't want to cheat the system, but if I added the PP right now - would DTV replace it or would they scream since I only added the PP today?  I wouldn't cancel the PP, but I don't currently have it - so I'd need to add it.

Not sure if anyone knows this.

#59 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

It's not manufacturers unfortunately, I had an HR24-500 replaced when this first started and DTV got sick of me complaining about it, they sent me a replacement HR24-200 - and charged me shipping of course...  so different manufacturer of the same "model" as LiQiCE points out it was fine when I got it, I was delighted... until I got the update, then it started again. They have some bug with the network stack and they don't know how to fix it because it's clearly only happening under certain conditions. I have two other boxes that are fine but the one on this connection is borked.

My experience is much like LiQiCE has - immediate response to the first command, then complete lock up. I can't tell you the number of times I've thought about filming it. I have times where it takes even longer than your full minute lock up. Sometimes after it will work well for a while after a lock up, sometimes not. One thing that's consistent is the first time I do something with it after a long while, like if I just get home from work,  it's almost guaranteed to lock up a bit when hitting guide or list.

My new favorite was I was watching live tv last night, which I almost never do, but moneyball was on... so I get the "receiver needs to change the channel to record blah blah blah" I select cancel recording, "OK"... and blam-O freezes for two minutes. So I have this big box on the screen with my highlighted OK press in blue just sitting on top of the movie for two minutes - then it goes to black for 30 seconds and eventually tunes the channel that it was supposed to, but doesn't record the show. Another minute or two I was able to change the channel back to watch the end of moneyball. 

#60 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

dravenstone - ah crap, I didn't realize you got an HR24-200 as a replacement.  Well scrap the idea of it being related to a manufacturer.

Since you have the problem with only 1 of your 3 HR24s, here's a question - if you move the HR24 with problems to the same location as an HR24 without the problem and vice versa, does the problem move with the HR24 or does the problem stay with the room?  That might help give us more information on what is causing the problem.

If the problem isn't specific to a manufacturer maybe the problem is specific to a particular revision of a piece of hardware in the HR24 - maybe a CPU revision or some common component all HR24s share but something that could have changed at some point explaining why some people have issues and some don't. 

It also could be some sort of issue related to marginal cable run distances or something that the newer firmware is more sensitive to and causes issues.  That is something I'd find interesting with regard to you moving your bad HR24 to a location where a good HR24 is.

spam firewall