Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best way to add Genie to multi HR system

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,647 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

FYI, SWM16s do run very "warm".  Glad all is well.  Thanks for the update.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

If you have your SWM-16 mounted against a wall, put it on some standoffs to allow airflow to the back and it should run a bit cooler. I used compression connectors for standoffs for mine (also helps with cable routing since you can run cable underneath it if necessary) It probably doesn't make any difference, but it can't hurt.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#23 OFFLINE   dddeeds

dddeeds

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Sorry for the confusion but the SWiM itself was not that hot (It has been hanging from one screw at the bottom of the floor joist between floors and as it dangles there above the ceiling tile, it has always had good air flow all around it).  I was complaining that the old 21V Black Power Inserter brick (left over from the old Zinwell WB16) that was used previously to power the SWiM16 was the hot item.  The new 29V gray power inserter they put in today is not nearly as warm as the old power inserter and I assume it was specifically designed for the SWiM.

#24 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,659 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

I thought the DECA signals only damaged older receivers that predate it and didn't account for it, namely the H20 and any SD receivers when using SWM? Don't all the HR2x models support DECA? And wouldn't his HR2x DVRs that are doing whole home already be sending out DECA signals that he's not been blocking?

all the of the Home DECA adapters have a BSF filter built in.  Since the HR34 does DECA and ethernet at the sam time it is always "sending" DECA signals as opposed to the HR24 that disables the DECA when an ethernet cable is plug in

Let's look at what's going on:

The DECA signal starts at about 0 dBm, and the SAT tuner chip is rated at -20 dBm, so even though the DECA is out of band, it may still cause the SAT tuner problems.

Starting with the H/HR24, an internal DECA was added. There isn't a BSF, but a diplexer which is doing the same blocking of the DECA signal to the SAT tuner.

An HR20 should either have a DECA installed or a BSF if no DECA is used when connected to coax that has the networking active.

A.K.A VOS

#25 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,659 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Sorry for the confusion but the SWiM itself was not that hot (It has been hanging from one screw at the bottom of the floor joist between floors and as it dangles there above the ceiling tile, it has always had good air flow all around it).  I was complaining that the old 21V Black Power Inserter brick (left over from the old Zinwell WB16) that was used previously to power the SWiM16 was the hot item.  The new 29V gray power inserter they put in today is not nearly as warm as the old power inserter and I assume it was specifically designed for the SWiM.

You were using the wrong PI for the -16.

A.K.A VOS

#26 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Let's look at what's going on:

The DECA signal starts at about 0 dBm, and the SAT tuner chip is rated at -20 dBm, so even though the DECA is out of band, it may still cause the SAT tuner problems.

Starting with the H/HR24, an internal DECA was added. There isn't a BSF, but a diplexer which is doing the same blocking of the DECA signal to the SAT tuner.

An HR20 should either have a DECA installed or a BSF if no DECA is used when connected to coax that has the networking active.

Does it actually damage the receiver, or just cause problems receiving the satellite signal? If you didn't use a BSF where you needed to, is there a risk your receiver becomes a paperweight?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#27 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,659 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Does it actually damage the receiver, or just cause problems receiving the satellite signal? If you didn't use a BSF where you needed to, is there a risk your receiver becomes a paperweight?

There are many factors, of which the loss between the transmitting DECA and the SAT tuner input may be the largest.

"I'd say" it would be a rare case that the receiver becomes a paperweight.

[customers can do the dumbest things, so it is "plausible" that you might smoke the tuner chip with 20 dB more than it's rated for]

What is noticeable is the TV will have distortion from the tuner chip being "swamped".

A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   dddeeds

dddeeds

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

I just have home Ethernet plugged into all my boxes including the new HR-34. Do I need the BSF on my HR-20? Does the Genie always or automatically put out DECA as a bridge? Is there a way to make the Genie not act like a bridge and put out deca? If I need the BSF will DirecTV customer service send them out to me free or will I need to buy them from Solid Signal etc.?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using DBSTalk mobile app

#29 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,647 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Yes, the HR20 needs a BSF.  DirecTV will send you one free of charge.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall