Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv may consider buying Hulu again

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

http://www.fool.com/...ectv-stock.aspx

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,895 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

That we will pay for.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Another article on it.

http://mashable.com/...tv-hulu-report/

My take? TV has been constantly evolving and moving into the internet. I personally have 4 programs installed on my tablet for watching content online.

To me, a move to buy Hulu (or another company like it) would bolster the DIRECTV Everywhere platform immensely..

• MercurialIN likes this

#4 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Netflix would be the better buy, I think.  Would put DTV at the top of the heap across the board.  

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Another article on it.

http://mashable.com/...tv-hulu-report/

My take? TV has been constantly evolving and moving into the internet. I personally have 4 programs installed on my tablet for watching content online.

To me, a move to buy Hulu (or another company like it) would bolster the DIRECTV Everywhere platform immensely..

DirecTV needs to do something to survive.  As more and more people and content move to the Internet there will be fewer and fewer subscribers for DirecTV.  They need to adapt to survive.

Not going to happen overnight but the ever increasing costs of cable and satellite TV are going to force more viewers to the Internet.

The middle-man is going to get squeezed.  We no long 'need' anyone to force us into bundled programming.  Why does Showtime need to pay DirecTV when they can go directly to subscribers over the Internet?

Edited by Mike Greer, 23 May 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Why does Showtime need to pay DirecTV when they can go directly to subscribers over the Internet?

Agreed with most of what you said, but D* pays Showtime, not the other way around.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Agreed with most of what you said, but D* pays Showtime, not the other way around.

Well...  DirecTV takes amount 'A' from subs and pays amount 'B' to Showtime.  The difference between the two DirecTV keeps and ads to the bottom line.

I'd personally pay more for and to Showtime than I pay DirecTV for Showtime if I could have access to their programming online without paying DirecTV anything.  That would be a double win for Showtime and cut DirecTV out of the loop.

Really the few reasons I have DirecTV at all are:  Showtime, Sunday Ticket and convenience.  If there was way for me to legally pay for Showtime and Sunday Ticket and not involve DirecTV at all I would cancel my DirecTV today.  It's only a matter of time.... 

#8 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Netflix would be the better buy, I think.  Would put DTV at the top of the heap across the board.  

Netflix isn't what it was.  Hulu is still on the up and up so I think they would be the better buy.  Netflix made some bad business choices in the past and I doubt D* would want to go through the effort of repairing relations.  At least, I wouldn't.

I agree entirely.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#9 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

DirecTV acquiring Hulu would be a path in the right direction.

Edited by Volatility, 04 June 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

DirecTV needs to do something to survive.  As more and more people and content move to the Internet there will be fewer and fewer subscribers for DirecTV.  They need to adapt to survive.

Not going to happen overnight but the ever increasing costs of cable and satellite TV are going to force more viewers to the Internet.

The middle-man is going to get squeezed.  We no long 'need' anyone to force us into bundled programming.  Why does Showtime need to pay DirecTV when they can go directly to subscribers over the Internet?

The thing is, those costs will just shift to the internet.  The media companies aren't going to trade dimes for pennies in this landscape. 

Showtime doesn't pay DIRECTV, DIRECTV pays Showtime a split...this is how Showtime makes money.  And think about it for a second, Directv (or Comcast, or Dish, or Verizon, etc, etc) answers all those calls for Showtime, does all the technical work for Showtime, does all the billing for Showtime, does a tremendous amount of marketing and sales for Showtime (or HBO, or Starz, or NFL, etc, etc) that they do not incur right now.  All of these entities would have to establish those costly setups AND they have to rely on the customer wanting to have a separate relationship with Disney, and one iwth A&E, and one with Showtime, and one with Discovery, and one with Fox, and one with Viacom, and one with HBO, and one with Starz, and one with the NFL, and one with Big Ten, etc, etc, etc.

This has a LONG way to go in my opinion and I'm not sure you are going to see the cost savings because I don't believe the content makers are going to make that tradeoff. Just my two cents.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

There are reports online stating DTV has put in a bid.

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

The thing is, those costs will just shift to the internet.  The media companies aren't going to trade dimes for pennies in this landscape. 

Showtime doesn't pay DIRECTV, DIRECTV pays Showtime a split...this is how Showtime makes money.  And think about it for a second, Directv (or Comcast, or Dish, or Verizon, etc, etc) answers all those calls for Showtime, does all the technical work for Showtime, does all the billing for Showtime, does a tremendous amount of marketing and sales for Showtime (or HBO, or Starz, or NFL, etc, etc) that they do not incur right now.  All of these entities would have to establish those costly setups AND they have to rely on the customer wanting to have a separate relationship with Disney, and one iwth A&E, and one with Showtime, and one with Discovery, and one with Fox, and one with Viacom, and one with HBO, and one with Starz, and one with the NFL, and one with Big Ten, etc, etc, etc.

This has a LONG way to go in my opinion and I'm not sure you are going to see the cost savings because I don't believe the content makers are going to make that tradeoff. Just my two cents.

However you want to state it - Showtime charges DirecTV less than they could sell their programming directly to the viewer.

Either way things are moving to the Internet and hopefully DirecTV has a plan.

Sure DirecTV markets and supports Showtime etc...  But streaming companies could do the same thing.

It isn't going to happen overnight but there is no question the pay TV model of the 70s and 80s is outdated and is going away.  Just take a look at what the 20 something year old kids are doing...  How many of them plan on every paying for cable or satellite TV?  As the costs of traditional pay TV continue to go insanely up fewer and fewer young people are going to pay...

#13 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Does anyone think ISPs are just going to let gigabytes of programming flow through their networks for nothing?  Why do you think there are more and more caps being placed on data downloads?  What about the VAST areas of the country that don't have sufficiently fast internet service?  For these reasons, traditional MCOs will continue to dominate the video entertainment landscape for at least a decade yet.

If Showtime tries to sell their programming directly, they are unlikely to make any more money than they make selling through DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, etc., because they will either have to split the money with the ISPs or price the service to take the bandwidth costs into account so that the bottom line to the viewer is a wash.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

Does anyone think ISPs are just going to let gigabytes of programming flow through their networks for nothing?  Why do you think there are more and more caps being placed on data downloads?  What about the VAST areas of the country that don't have sufficiently fast internet service?  For these reasons, traditional MCOs will continue to dominate the video entertainment landscape for at least a decade yet.

If Showtime tries to sell their programming directly, they are unlikely to make any more money than they make selling through DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, etc., because they will either have to split the money with the ISPs or price the service to take the bandwidth costs into account so that the bottom line to the viewer is a wash.

I don't think that ISPs are going to 'let gigabytes of programming flow for nothing'.  In this 'battle' the ISPs are in a great position...  Traditional MCOs have to change is the bottom line.

Costs are going up - quality programming is not - in fact I'd say having 40 'reality' TV shows a night is not worth $3 let alone $150 a month.  As both the cost of Internet and pay TV continue to climb more and more people are going to have to choose one or the other and I think we all know which the majority of people will pick.

I don't think I'm alone in paying DirecTV mostly out of convenience and a very little programming that I couldn't get online.  Sunday Ticket and Showtime are the big ones for me but as costs continue to skyrocket I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to pay.

If I could get Showtime online I'd personally pay 2 or 3 times what I pay for Showtime through DirecTV but that's just me...  

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

Don't overlook that there are large numbers of people who'll pay a premium for the PQ and convenience of big boy delivery. I will not watch anything on my HiRez computers if I can see it on an actual TV. 

The twenty somethings, not all of whom are streaming now, BTW, will eventually migrate the the higher quality delivery. Of course, some will not. Some will never watch TV. Some will have their own HMCs, and all in between. 

Look at DIRECTV's numbers for subscribers. 

• SteveHas likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,626 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

until the US gets with the "program" regarding internet speeds and cost, IPTV is a dream that will not come true, at least here in the USA.  we are # 33!!!!

http://www.netindex....d/allcountries/

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Don't overlook that there are large numbers of people who'll pay a premium for the PQ and convenience of big boy delivery. I will not watch anything on my HiRez computers if I can see it on an actual TV. 

The twenty somethings, not all of whom are streaming now, BTW, will eventually migrate the the higher quality delivery. Of course, some will not. Some will never watch TV. Some will have their own HMCs, and all in between. 

Look at DIRECTV's numbers for subscribers. 

Good point on picture quality...  I suppose I'm in that boat also.

It looks like DirecTV's growth has slowed and the cable companies are shrinking.  I think the market is pretty much saturated and will likely not get much bigger - and will soon start to slide....

#18 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,992 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

I've said this for awhile now. I think it would be especially smart since Netflix gets the Disney movie library starting in a couple years.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Good point on picture quality...  I suppose I'm in that boat also.

It looks like DirecTV's growth has slowed and the cable companies are shrinking.  I think the market is pretty much saturated and will likely not get much bigger - and will soon start to slide....

If Samsung's development of a way faster IP comes to fruition, yes, the slide will be visible. Otherwise, DIRECTV will continue to add from former cable subs, though at modest rates. At some point, growth in adult population will be the only thing that drives higher subs, as I agree we are near saturation. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#20 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

I am finding the older I get the less TV I watch. I am 61 and not in the demagraphic the shows are made for any longer. I have helped friends "cut the cord" and go to what ever they can find for free OTA or on the internet. I even know some younger (30's) folks who have done this. The cost of having a HD DVR and a programming package is driving a lot of folks back to basics. Newspapers and magazines have seen this happen and I think DirecTV and the others have to change or watch their number go down.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...