Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv may consider buying Hulu again

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

CNBC is announcing they have 2 sources indicating Yahoo will be bidding for Hulu as well. Indeed, quite a long list of potential buyers. :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

I completed a Directv Pulse survey today asking questions about my use of on-line media services.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#23 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:37 AM

Report: Yahoo becomes the latest company to place a bid on Hulu

"The rumors on the potential sale of Hulu started circulating again a couple of months back. Now, according to AllThingsD, Yahoo is joining other big-name companies (such as Time Warner Cable and DirecTV) in the race to try and acquire the streaming service. Per the always-insightful sources "familiar with the process," Marissa Mayer & Co. submitted a bid for Hulu just this morning, though there are no details on how much the company is willing to spend on the video site. Something tells us we'll know more soon enough, but we can say with confidence that Yahoo is starting its holiday shopping really early."

Full Story Here

eastloshighkey-1369423402.jpg

Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#24 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

DirecTV Said Among 3 Hulu Bidders at $1 Billion or More

DirecTV, the second-biggest U.S. pay-TV service, and two other bidders are each offering at least $1 billion for Hulu LLC, the online video website, said people with knowledge of the bid. The other two couldn’t be identified immediately. Los Angeles-based Hulu’s board has been weighing at least seven buyout offers and plans to narrow those to three or four in a few weeks, said the people, who requested anonymity because the deliberations are private.

Bids of at least $1 billion increase the odds that owners Walt Disney Co., News Corp. and Comcast  NBC Universal will sell Hulu after a previous auction and plans for an initial public offering faltered. 

Hulu would give DirecTV, with 20 million subscribers, a lower-cost online video offering alongside its more expensive pay-TV packages.

Full Story Here

hulu1-1370034251.png

Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

#25 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 564 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Good point on picture quality...  I suppose I'm in that boat also.

It looks like DirecTV's growth has slowed and the cable companies are shrinking.  I think the market is pretty much saturated and will likely not get much bigger - and will soon start to slide....

I think you're right about growth slowing, but question whether it will soon start to slide. I think the slowing of growth is mostly due to market saturation (as you point out) and very little to do with streaming. PQ and convenience are what keeps satellite and cable companies in business, and if you check out the thread about how dard it is to use watch now even with  fast download speeds I think you'll see the problems that streaming faces. 

#26 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

Where'd they get a billion dollars?

Sounds like they're making money, even with those "outrageous" retransmission "demands".... :hurah:

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,682 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

Sounds like they're making money, even with those "outrageous" retransmission "demands".... :hurah:

most companies likes to hoard their cash :) take a look at Apple 140 billion "under the mattress"

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,898 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

More like all their loop hole tax breaks.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#29 OFFLINE   Aridon

Aridon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

I wonder if they plan on picking it up to lessen the impact of local agreement disuputes, give them a presence in the streaming market and perhaps use it to improve their on demand service, which is lacking.

Edited by Aridon, 03 June 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

They don't need a billion dollars cash to make that offer.  They can leverage the funds, include stocks etc. to make a purchase like that.  As long as the 'mortgage payments' are less than the cash flow Hulu would generate it makes sense.

There are others ways to get it done as well.

#31 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Any company the size of DTV needs to have investment funds.  These funds are used to develop new products and services that continue to provide you with choices in their product.  Usually a budget is built and a certain amount of money is allocated toward re-transmission costs which is completely different from the money used to invest in new technology for customers. As a consumer I am glad D* is attempting to improve their online services.  This may also attract additional customers who aren't able to have dishes on their property which would lower the ARPU needed per an account to meet their desired financial goals. 

#32 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

I'm just jabbing at them a bit, since the Cable and satellite companies like to blame the stations for "raising prices".....

Broadcasters use money (like from retrans) to  improve service, create programming, etc

Just like anybody else.

:righton:

#33 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Sources: DirecTV will acquire Hulu by month’s end

Several sources with knowledge of the ongoing Hulu acquisition talks tell PandoDaily that a deal is imminent and that DirecTV is the likely victor. The acquisition price will be written with a “B,” according to our sources, but just barely.

It’s no secret that Hulu’s owners are seeking an acquirer for the premium streaming video on demand (SVOD) platform. Over the last several months reports have surfaced of bids from DirecTV, Time Warner Cable, Yahoo, KKR, Guggenheim Digital, The Chernin Group in partnership with AT&T, and Silverlake Partners in partnership with William Morris Endeavor Entertainment. To further muddy the waters, the company is being advised by Guggenheim Partners, a sister company to the above mentioned bidder.

directv-van.jpg

#34 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

I really hope DirecTV includes Hulu as an expansion of its DirecTV everywhere to existing subscribers.  I don't see why they couldn't as Dish did effectively the same thing when they acquired Blockbuster.  

This could be very m'eh, or it could be fantastic for D* subscribers.  I can't imagine D* acquiring Hulu to not use it as a value add.  Let's hope so.

HR20-700 (w/1 TB eSATA drive), HR24-500 x3, HR22-100, SWM-16, DECA

#35 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

The thing is, those costs will just shift to the internet.  The media companies aren't going to trade dimes for pennies in this landscape. 

Showtime doesn't pay DIRECTV, DIRECTV pays Showtime a split...this is how Showtime makes money.  And think about it for a second, Directv (or Comcast, or Dish, or Verizon, etc, etc) answers all those calls for Showtime, does all the technical work for Showtime, does all the billing for Showtime, does a tremendous amount of marketing and sales for Showtime (or HBO, or Starz, or NFL, etc, etc) that they do not incur right now.  All of these entities would have to establish those costly setups AND they have to rely on the customer wanting to have a separate relationship with Disney, and one iwth A&E, and one with Showtime, and one with Discovery, and one with Fox, and one with Viacom, and one with HBO, and one with Starz, and one with the NFL, and one with Big Ten, etc, etc, etc.

This has a LONG way to go in my opinion and I'm not sure you are going to see the cost savings because I don't believe the content makers are going to make that tradeoff. Just my two cents.

In my opinion, your two cents are worth a lot more than two cents.   not to date some of us, but "When E.F. Hutton talks..."

#36 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

I really hope DirecTV includes Hulu as an expansion of its DirecTV everywhere to existing subscribers. I don't see why they couldn't as Dish did effectively the same thing when they acquired Blockbuster.

This could be very m'eh, or it could be fantastic for D* subscribers. I can't imagine D* acquiring Hulu to not use it as a value add. Let's hope so.

They may. I had previously confirmed with a person out of the Office of the President (lol i was talking to them about my employee account and we veered off topic ) they want Hulu as they are losing some customers to online streaming sites like Netflix. Buying a smaller competitor would help that and possibly help reduce churn and they may integrate Hulu with Direct Everywhere but it is to early to say. DirecTv's Hulu Everywhere ;)

Edited by Volatility, 13 June 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

They may. I had previously confirmed with a person out of the Office of the President (lol i was talking to them about my employee account and we veered off topic ) they want Hulu as they are losing some customers to online streaming sites like Netflix. Buying a smaller competitor would help that and possibly help reduce churn and they may integrate Hulu with Direct Everywhere but it is to early to say. DirecTv's Hulu Everywhere ;)

Hey, that would work with me as long as they don't tie it too closely with DirecTV Everywhere as I don't have the hardware requirements to use it.  I would love to see DirecTV subscribers getting access to Hulu Plus as part of their subscription.

• espnjason likes this

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hey, that would work with me as long as they don't tie it too closely with DirecTV Everywhere as I don't have the hardware requirements to use it.  I would love to see DirecTV subscribers getting access to Hulu Plus as part of their subscription.

I've had Hulu + for a long time and I hardly use it.  Perhaps D* can get rid of those commercials.

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

I'm just curious what you mean when you say you don't have the hardware requirements to use it (Directv Everywhere).  If you have a PC you're good to go.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#40 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

TiVo fighting DirecTV for Hulu analysts claim

TiVo is tipped to be among the potential suitors for Hulu, with the DVR company said to be a rival to DirecTV who, in reports late last week, was described as in “very advanced stages” to acquire the on-demand service. The suggestion, from market intelligence firm StreetAccount, described TiVo’s recent share price bump as on “follow-through from speculation on a Hulu acquisition”, Zatz Not Funny reports.

Hulu1-580x326.jpg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...