Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv may consider buying Hulu again

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Well that wold be an interesting prospect for TiVo.... They'd basically be trying to build a new cable company without owning any of the distribution infrastructure, only the start and end of the distribution.... And then they'd be direct competitors with all their current partners. That'd be interesting to see if partners wold drop them or continue with them as contracts come up. Patent licensing not withstanding of course.

#42 OFFLINE   jasondm4

jasondm4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

I wish Directv the best and hope they get it. They should since it's in the advanced stages but you never know.

Directv customer since 2007.
Choice Ultimate + HD Extra Pack Subscriber

Living Room: HR44-500 Genie HD DVR
Master: HR24-500 HD DVR
Guest Room: C41-100 Genie Mini Client

MRV

Slimline 3S SWM

#43 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:09 AM

Interesting, but looking at financials DirecTV for FE 2012, DirecTV has a lot more muscle in that department then TiVo

#44 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Everyone has more clout than TiVo, and not just in terms of financials. ;)
  • SteveHas likes this

#45 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

I'm just curious what you mean when you say you don't have the hardware requirements to use it (Directv Everywhere).  If you have a PC you're good to go.

I would be interested in watching it on my tablet, which requires an HD DVR connected to the internet.  From the website:

To watch live TV channels on your tablet or mobile device, you need an HD DVR connected to your home broadband network. Your device must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your HD DVR.

The tablet DirecTV app is worthless to me.  I can't use it for scheduling, streaming or much of anything else.  I can use it as a schedule but that's it.  At least the cellphone app will enable me to program my two dvrs and stream selected shows.

#46 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

So you have Internet access but don't connect any of your receives to the Internet? Or no hd? or no dvr?

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

I would be interested in watching it on my tablet, which requires an HD DVR connected to the internet.  From the website:

To watch live TV channels on your tablet or mobile device, you need an HD DVR connected to your home broadband network. Your device must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your HD DVR.

The tablet DirecTV app is worthless to me.  I can't use it for scheduling, streaming or much of anything else.  I can use it as a schedule but that's it.  At least the cellphone app will enable me to program my two dvrs and stream selected shows.

What tablet? And Inky's questions are pretty key, as well. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Somethings not right here.

#49 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

As long as whoever owns Hulu maintains the current free access to non-Plus content (so that I can stream it via PlayOn) I really don't care who owns it.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#50 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

So you have Internet access but don't connect any of your receives to the Internet? Or no hd? or no dvr?

I can't have HD.  LOS issues.

#51 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

What tablet? And Inky's questions are pretty key, as well. 

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9.  The cell phone app runs fine on it and I can stream a limited selection.  The Tablet app apparently requires HD service and an HD DVR and consequently any feature that requires communicating with the DVR doesn't work.

As I responded to Inky, I have been informed that I can't have HD service due to Line of Sight issues, consequently I'm restricted to SD service with an R-15 and an R-16.

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

When was the last time they checked?

I am mot sure ive heard of this since they got all Hi Definition programming to 103. And 99 which are so very close to 101 where you are getting all your sd.

It used to be that hd came from 119 which can have all kinds of Los issues for people who have no issues with ad programming. But since the move to only 103 and 99 you'd have to have one heck of a tiny whole for Los to get SD and not Hi Definition.

#53 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

I don't have anything against DirecTV, but I don't want Hulu being bought by any pay-tv provider. While it would be great news for DirecTV subscribers, it would be bad news overall for consumers. Eventually an alternate to traditional pay-tv would disappear and just become another offering from an entrenched player. Hulu is already owned by entrenched players and it is nowhere near what it could be because those guys don't want a real alternative. Being owned by DirecTV or TWC (another company mentioned a few weeks ago) would just be more of the same or even worse. I think being bought by someone like Yahoo or Tivo would be better in the long-run for competition and consumers.

#54 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

I don't have anything against DirecTV, but I don't want Hulu being bought by any pay-tv provider. While it would be great news for DirecTV subscribers, it would be bad news overall for consumers. Eventually an alternate to traditional pay-tv would disappear and just become another offering from an entrenched player. Hulu is already owned by entrenched players and it is nowhere near what it could be because those guys don't want a real alternative. Being owned by DirecTV or TWC (another company mentioned a few weeks ago) would just be more of the same or even worse. I think being bought by someone like Yahoo or Tivo would be better in the long-run for competition and consumers.

Does Dish charge for Blockbuster? If not I think Directv should do the same.

HDR-24
HDR-34
AM-21N
ATT uverse internet

Genie Go

PGP: AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7 0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E 8C92

#55 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Does Dish charge for Blockbuster? If not I think Directv should do the same.

Dish does charge for Blockbuster. They are using the name for pay for rental VOD service and renamed the Dish Platinum package to Blockbuster@Home, added the disc-by-mail service to it and renamed the free On Demand to Blockbuster. While they did greatly improve online streaming, you must be a Dish subscriber to access it.

I can't see a DirecTV owned Hulu offering a free version, even with the ads.

#56 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

When was the last time they checked?

I am mot sure ive heard of this since they got all Hi Definition programming to 103. And 99 which are so very close to 101 where you are getting all your sd.

It used to be that hd came from 119 which can have all kinds of Los issues for people who have no issues with ad programming. But since the move to only 103 and 99 you'd have to have one heck of a tiny whole for Los to get SD and not Hi Definition.

It was about 2 years ago that they checked.  At that time I was informed that the dish was aimed at the SD satellite through a notch between two trees.  It was big enough to allow access to the 101 but not to the two HD satellites.  Neither the installer or supervisor were able to obtain a clear signal.

#57 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,533 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

Hulu Deadline for Final Bids Arrives: Keep an Eye on DirecTV

Hulu and its corporate parents are accepting final bids for the online video service on Friday, and according to several individuals close to the process the field has whittled down to three companies: Guggenheim Digital Media, Chernin Entertainment/AT&T and DirecTV.

But keep your eye on DirecTV.

Here's why: Chernin is bidding with AT&T, but the telecom giant is driving that bid, according to one knowledgeable individual. Hulu management is apparently wary of being owned by AT&T. 

Observers of the M&A landscape are skeptical that Guggenheim has the intention to step up to the desired $1 billion selling price.

That leaves DirecTV. Buying Hulu would give the satellite service a major foothold in the digital world.

hulu-logo-inside.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#58 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,595 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

With the viewing restrictions in play, Hulu is a whole lot less interesting.

If even Hulu Plus doesn't offer the top five plus one other of the top ten, the appeal to cord-cutters would seem to diminish quickly. Last season that would have looked something like:

Big Bang Theory
Modern Family
Grey's Anatomy
Revolution
New Girl

and one of the following:

Elementary
Criminal Minds
How I Met Your Mother
Office
Grimm

Of the half-dozen shows I follow, that gets the top three and one I was considering adding.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#59 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

The big variables going forward for Hulu (and, btw, this means Hulu Plus: the free version can really be considered dead, or a limited trial version at best) is what DirecTV's distribution network and the new attitude at CBS regarding Internet delivery will mean.

If they make Hulu content available to all DirecTV subscribers (at an additional cost, I would assume), and if even a small percentage take the offer, it would significantly increase Hulu's revenue stream, giving it more leverage in going after content. If they use that to pick up the top CBS shows that are either not currently available online, or are in very limited availability, then this could turn into a very competitive service. Add in the Criterion Films deal and Hulu is looking a lot better.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#60 OFFLINE   booboo

booboo

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Take two of the sale of Hulu is approaching its inevitable end, as multiple sources report the final bids have come in. Currently the site is owned by Disney, Fox and Comcast, while reported interested buyers include DirecTV, Chernin Group / AT&T and Guggenheim Digital Media. Of the potential buyers, The Hollywood Reporter reports Guggenheim would be the one most likely to retain the site's "entreprenurial spirit," while DirecTV may want to use it both as a part of its satellite package and as a standalone business. Finally the Chernin Group is reportedly backed by AT&T, which may have goals similar to those of DirecTV. According to the Wall Street Journal, the site's current owners are considering how potential buyers will want to license content going forward as part of the bids, with potential restrictions on their top rated shows, or longer windows before content is available on Hulu. We'll have to wait and find out who had the best pitch before we move on to the next step -- deciding if whatever Hulu becomes under new ownership is still worth visiting.

I got this story from Engadget. Looks like we will know something soon. I recently dropped Hulu plus basically because it sucked in my opinion.
B00BOO

spam firewall