Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Unauthorized changes to account

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jsfisher

jsfisher

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Today I noticed my Dish Network service had changed.  I found I was getting two things I never requested.  One was good, a discount, and the other was bad, an added service I didn't want or need.

In speaking with customer support in an online chat, I was told I had called Dish a few weeks ago "looking to save money", and some promotion was offered and accepted.  The only problem is that I never, ever made such a call.

Someone else must have called "looking to save money" and got mistakenly crossed to my account.

(My account has a PIN associated with it which it ever had before, so I can only assume that was first added during this phone call I didn't make.  I have a query in about caller-id, too.  I think there should be enough there for Dish to convince itself the transaction was made in error.)

Has anyone else had such an experience?

Mine gets a little more complicated since the customer representative I chatted with could not reverse the change.  Hopefully, the DIRT member I've PM'ed can do what the rep could not.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

I work in a sparsely populated rural area, and once when I called in (think it was E*) on my cell phone on behalf of a client that needed 'pinged' I transposed the last 2 digits of the phone number and had coincidentally wound up on the wrong active account.   Pinging was no big deal, but I could very well have done something a little more serious. Eventually figured out problem and connected to the right account.

This was several years ago before PINs.

#3 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Today I noticed my Dish Network service had changed.  I found I was getting two things I never requested.  One was good, a discount, and the other was bad, an added service I didn't want or need.

In speaking with customer support in an online chat, I was told I had called Dish a few weeks ago "looking to save money", and some promotion was offered and accepted.  The only problem is that I never, ever made such a call.

Someone else must have called "looking to save money" and got mistakenly crossed to my account.

(My account has a PIN associated with it which it ever had before, so I can only assume that was first added during this phone call I didn't make.  I have a query in about caller-id, too.  I think there should be enough there for Dish to convince itself the transaction was made in error.)

Has anyone else had such an experience?

Mine gets a little more complicated since the customer representative I chatted with could not reverse the change.  Hopefully, the DIRT member I've PM'ed can do what the rep could not.

PIN and other account verification criteria have been mandatory on all accounts for several years now, in addition to that when a customer calls in before an Agent can disclose any account specific details or make any changes the customer has to confirm there name, pin (or last 4 of SSN of the main account holder on file) and iirc the address as well.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that a random customer was able to guess that much information.

If you truly did not make that phone call then its most likely someone else in your household or close to you able to answer the account verification questions made that call.

Edited by Inkosaurus, 26 May 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   jsfisher

jsfisher

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

PIN and other account verification criteria have been mandatory on all accounts for several years now, in addition to that when a customer calls in before an Agent can disclose any account specific details or make any changes the customer has to confirm there name, pin (or last 4 of SSN of the main account holder on file) and iirc the address as well.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that a random customer was able to guess that much information.

If you truly did not make that phone call then its most likely someone else in your household or close to you able to answer the account verification questions made that call.

In the online chat I had with Dish recently about the account changes, a PIN was requested.  First time I'd ever heard of such a thing.  (In a prior online chat, maybe a year ago, no PIN was requested, but then again, we didn't get to an account-specific question, either.)  The hint that was offered was of no help, so the customer rep shifted to asking for my online verification question.  Never did she ask for the last 4 SSN digits nor the address.  Then again, online has its own logon process, so the security verification process may be entirely different.

At any rate, I haven't called Dish for any reason in quite a few years, so the PIN should still be new to me.  Be that as it may, I know I didn't make the call nor did anyone else in the household.  How the account change got mis-applied, I have no idea. 

Getting back to the change itself, another odd thing about it was that it was sparked by the "looking to save money" customer query.  The change doesn't save the customer anything at all initially, and then ends up costing more 6 months from now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...