Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie questions

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hey guys. Currently a dish subscriber with hopper and two joeys. Thinking of switching to directv but have some questions/concerns. I think directvs service is far superior to dish. But I like dishs hardware better. Anyway here's my questions.

1. Is the hr-44 widely available yet? If I'm gonna switch want the latest and greatest.
2. How's the reliability if the whole genie setup? My hopper and joeys have been bulletproof.
3. Are the remotes with the c-31 rf? I know the upcoming c-41 will be but if the c-31 is too I don't see any benefit to waiting til it is released
4. How do you manage tuners? Is there one screen that you can go to like the hopper/joeys to see what tuner is watching what and on what tv? Also, say I want to watch the same live program on all three tvs. Will that use three tuners or will they all use the same one?
5. Does directv offer something similar to sling?

Think that covers everything for now. If I think of something else will be sure to add to the thread. Thanks guys!

Edited by hahler2, 22 May 2013 - 11:00 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:23 AM

Hey guys. Currently a dish subscriber with hopper and two joeys. Thinking of switching to directv but have some questions/concerns. I think directvs service is far superior to dish. But I like dishs hardware better. Anyway here's my questions.

1. Is the hr-44 widely available yet? If I'm gonna switch want the latest and greatest.
2. How's the reliability if the whole genie setup? My hopper and joeys have been bulletproof.
3. Are the remotes with the c-31 rf? I know the upcoming c-41 will be but if the c-31 is too I don't see any benefit to waiting til it is released
4. How do you manage tuners? Is there one screen that you can go to like the hopper/joeys to see what tuner is watching what and on what tv? Also, say I want to watch the same live program on all three tvs. Will that use three tuners or will they all use the same one?
5. Does directv offer something similar to sling?

Think that covers everything for now. If I think of something else will be sure to add to the thread. Thanks guys!

A. You're right. Two diff companies, two diff approaches to the same end. Have you experienced both services ("I like Dish's hardware better")? As with all changes, it requires a slight learning curve.

1. Not yet. Stay tuned, there is no ETA..

2. Don't have one, but have heard great things. Perhaps someone else can tell you.

3. Yes.

4a. What does "manage tuners" mean?

4b. Don't think so, but I don't have one. Perhaps someone else can tell you.

4c. D*'s Genie does not have the same limitations as the Hopper, and is not hobbled by only 3 tuners.

4d. It should use 3 tuners, not 1. Unless someone says different, I don't think you can split 1 signal into 3 equal parts and then stream each of them. Plus, it might be against FCC regulations. Not sure. In any case, you still have 2 more tuners for viewing or recording.

5. No. However, there is the GenieGo and DirecTV Everywhere. (read part A above)

Hope this helps. Keep in mind, there is no magical service that provides all that someone could wish for. You go with the best you can get.

Good luck!

-=K=-

#3 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,440 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:20 AM

You can't see what tuner is doing what. If all three clients are watching live, that uses 3 of the 5 tuners. However, you don't have to get clients. Regular receivers or another non genie DVR will work. You will not be able to manage the genie remotely other than setting recordings, and if a regular receiver you will not be able to pause/RW live.

#4 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

I have had directv before.  Actually switched to dish when hopper came out but not nuts about their service which is why I'm switching back.

The way that directv manages the tuners would be a bit of a pain in the butt but not a deal breaker.  With dish and the hopper, you push the red button on your remote and it will bring up a screen that shows all three tuners and if they are available or if they are watching a program and what receiver is watching them.  Say you have your living room tv watching the history channel.  You can press the red button on the remote in the kitchen, see that the living room is watching the history channel, and then select that tuner for the kitchen.  The kitchen tv and living room tv will then be watching the same program and only tie up one tuner.

Yes, I am aware that the genie has five tuners vs the hoppers 3 tuners.  Was just using 3 as an example because I have 3 tv's.  Trying to figure out how the genie system works.

And yes I do like dishs hardware better.  The hopper is a great receiver.  Auto hop and prime time anytime are very cool features!  Prime time anytime is great because you can go into the folder once a week or so and look through and see if there are any new shows that you're interested in on the major networks.  I would definitely miss that.  However, I feel that picture quality is better on directv.  Also, directv has more of the channels that my family watches in HD, and at a cheaper price.   Sunday Ticket is a selling point for me too since I'm a big NFL fan.  So it's really going to be a tough decision.  Superior hardware or better service?  Tough call as they are both important factors.

Edited by hahler2, 23 May 2013 - 08:05 AM.

• BigBearf likes this

#5 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Wow.  Just read through the latest firmware update for the HR-34.  Sounds like it has some serious issues!  Might just wait and see if those get resolved with the HR-44.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Wow.  Just read through the latest firmware update for the HR-34.  Sounds like it has some serious issues!  Might just wait and see if those get resolved with the HR-44

What issues are you referring to? The Genie is a pretty solid product.

#7 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

They were talking about handshake issues over HDMI and freezing during playback of recordings.  Also trickplay issues with the client boxes.

#8 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

One other thing.  Can you watch the same recording on more than one TV at the same time?

With the hopper you can but they won't be synced.

#9 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,440 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

I haven't tried it myself, but don't see why it wouldn't work. But I don't understand what you mean by not synched. I would think that would be normal unless both recordings were started at the same time.

As for Dish vs DirecTV hardware, of course there are differences. Personally, I like the option of not using a client if I don't want to. As far as I know with Dish, you have to use a Hopper or a Joey, the system doesn't work with their other devices (unless that's changed.) If you don't use a client, it doesn't really matter what the Genie is doing with its tuners, you aren't going to use any.

Also, HR34/44 and C31/41 pretty much use the same code base.

#10 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Thanks dpeters.  Yeah by not synced I meant you can't start a recording in one room, and then go to another room and have the recording playing in both rooms from the exact same spot.

Yes can only use a Joey with Hopper.  No mixed systems allowed.  They will allow you to have a 211 on your account if you have a tailgater but otherwise no mixed systems.

I suppose I could go with a Genie in family room, a HR-24 in living room, and then just a client box in the kitchen.  Have always like the client box setup though as my equipment is out in the open in the living room so having a client box in the living room eliminated hard drive noise.   Equipment in the family room is hidden in another room so no noise there.  That's where my hopper is now and where the Genie would go if I make the switch.

Regardless I think I will wait until the HR-44 is more widely available.  If nothing else for the smaller size and increased speed.  When will they be available?  Am thinking as soon as they are I will make the switch.

Edited by hahler2, 23 May 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#11 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,440 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Right, if you stop playback in one room, you can resume from the same spot in another, but not while the first is still playing.

An H25 might be a good box in your living room. Has one tuner of its own, small and quiet. DirecTV will not guarantee a particular model, including the HR44. They will only guarantee a Genie. We expect them to go national in the next month or two.

#12 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Sounds good.  Thanks for all your help!

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,525 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

4d. It should use 3 tuners, not 1. Unless someone says different, I don't think you can split 1 signal into 3 equal parts and then stream each of them. Plus, it might be against FCC regulations. Not sure. In any case, you still have 2 more tuners for viewing or recording.

if two (or more TVs) are tuned to the same channel, it is using one tuner. so 3 TVs can be tuned to channel 2 and you can record 4 shows.  You are still limited to up to 3 remote connections at the same time.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

Good to know! Thank you! Now just have to hope the 44 becomes widely available soon so I can make the switch.

#15 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Just got off the phone with Directv.  Have my install date for June 20th.  Fingers crossed that the tech will have an HR-44 on the truck!

#16 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

One other thing. Can you watch the same recording on more than one TV at the same time?

With the hopper you can but they won't be synced.

You can. I have had the Genie plus (2) HD-DVR's streaming the same show.

#17 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Thanks jagrim!!

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,525 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

Yep, the Genie can stream to 3 remote "devices" at the same time. these streams can be the same the show or live programming to RVU clients. devices includes HD receivers, HDDVRs, RVU clients and the Nomad (GenieGo)

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   alleria

alleria

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAlton IL

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

I got a HR34 a few months ago i havent had to many issues with it.  I am mostly curious about what else I can do with the genie.  I am very geeky i have a Bachelors in Telecommunications.  I make and run my own coax I have cables running all over my basement.  I can see my genie DVR on my microsoft network.  Can i access my harddrive in my dvr this way can i move stuff to and from if so then there are of course format questions.  I am new here and I am not sure that this is the proper place for this question.  If it is not please let me know. 

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,525 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

I got a HR34 a few months ago i havent had to many issues with it. I am mostly curious about what else I can do with the genie. I am very geeky i have a Bachelors in Telecommunications. I make and run my own coax I have cables running all over my basement. I can see my genie DVR on my microsoft network. Can i access my harddrive in my dvr this way can i move stuff to and from if so then there are of course format questions. I am new here and I am not sure that this is the proper place for this question. If it is not please let me know.

Nope not possible

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall