Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWiM splitter vs switch?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MattWarner

MattWarner

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

Thinking about coming back to DirecTV after a year or two with cable.  Previously, I had a non swim install (two HR20s).  While an installer was next door, I asked him a few tech questions about coming back and I want to run what he recommended by the forum here.  

I have two TVs (one used all the time, one seldom); four coaxes run from the dish from the previous install with two coaxes to each room.  I want a Genie in the den and a Genie mini in the bedroom.

With that, the installer recommended using a SWiM splitter at the side of the house (replacing the grounding block).  One leg goes to the Den, one leg goes to the bedroom.  

My questions are:

#1 - Can a SWiM splitter be grounded enough to replace a grounding block?

#2 - Can a SWiM splitter be exposed to the elements outside?

#3 - Can a SWiM splitter be placed in the middle of a coax run or does it need to be at the receiver end?

#4 - Does it make since to use a 1x2 SWiM splitter instead of a SWim switch if you only need two legs?

Thanks in advance..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

Basically yes to all of your questions. The LNB assembly in the dish will also be replaced and only one of the four existing coax will be connected.

#3 OFFLINE   MattWarner

MattWarner

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Perfect.  Thanks Carl6 for the reply!

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

There's really no need to replace the current 4 barrel grounding block;

Just use one of its coax output runs to a SWiM splitter which you then wouldn't need to ground.

For instance if you call for a DIRECTV install they won't ground the splitter either, but might replace the 4 barrel GB with a single barrel one which then connects to an un-gounded SWiM splitter.

Everything else is as carl6 states ... 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,174 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Note that if you use a splitter to ground the system, that splitter MUST be BEFORE the power inserter.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   MattWarner

MattWarner

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

Thanks, gang!

spam firewall