Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Solid Copper Conductor RG6

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

A couple of years ago, I bought solid copper conductor RG6 at Lowes.  Yesterday, I found that all they had was copper coated steel.   Home Depot also had only copper coated steel, although a salesman looked up the specs on their RG6 and the conductor was listed as "copper"; but when I scraped a section of the center conductor it was obvious it was copper coated steel.  Buyer  beware. 

I  ended up ordering from SolidSignal.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim1023

Jim1023

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

A magnet is a good way to test for copper coated steel cable.

DIRECTV customer since July 1994

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

Good information to have. Copper coated steel is ok for runs between the receivers and SWM, but not for the power inserter run or the runs between SWM and dish. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

I have commscope RG6-QS which is not solid copper. I have no issues at all. Granted the run is not very long from the power inserter to the red port on the swm-8 (maybe 30 - 40 feet), but no issues. Perfect Vision solid copper goes from the splitter to the ground block, to the dish.

Only issue I had was the fittings rusted out and the ground block deteriorated. I put new PPC fittings on, new ground block and put it inside an enclosure along with the CATV feed to keep it out of the weather.

Edited by cypherx, 23 May 2013 - 08:18 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#5 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

Good information to have. Copper coated steel is ok for runs between the receivers and SWM, but not for the power inserter run or the runs between SWM and dish. 

You can use it between the PI , LNB and or splitter.......     Directv requires use of SCC though , but it does work....    Just keep in mind most prewired houses are being built with CCS in the wall , so you are using it alot of the time anyways....     

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

You can use it between the PI , LNB and or splitter.......     Directv requires use of SCC though , but it does work....    Just keep in mind most prewired houses are being built with CCS in the wall , so you are using it alot of the time anyways....     

Stuart was pointing out where you could use CCS and not have to be concerned about a voltage drop.

You've got 4.4 times more resistance with CCS than SCC. In short runs, this may not be a problem, but it can be with long runs.

A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

How long do you think CCS cable will reliably transport power to the LNB?

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

How long do you think CCS cable will reliably transport power to the LNB?

depend how fast it will rust ... when water come into fittings and the cable

Santa Cruz probably faster, in Bay Area is not; I would say 3-5 years for worst, 10-15 years for better places

Edited by P Smith, 26 May 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

depend how fast it will rust ... when water come into fittings and the cable

Oh well my CCS is indoors. From the dish to SWIM splitter inside was all DirecTV installed. Perfect Vision RG6, I would imagine its solid copper if DirecTV installed it. The ground block rusted out and that metal cancer spread into the fittings so I had to cut them off and put new ends on as well as new ground block. I relocated the ground block inside a plastic "cable guard" house box along with the CATV feed (which is RG11 to RG6-QS).

Anyway in a central location of my house where my cable modem, router, switch and patch panel reside, I have the deca CCK passing through the directv power inserter all using Commscope RG6-QS CCS.

Edited by cypherx, 26 May 2013 - 01:54 PM.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

high humidity will rust it faster

#11 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Stuart was pointing out where you could use CCS and not have to be concerned about a voltage drop.

You've got 4.4 times more resistance with CCS than SCC. In short runs, this may not be a problem, but it can be with long runs.

Most houses don't have long runs like you have in commercial settings,    so my point was you can use it with a few exceptions.

spam firewall