Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie Go

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DolphinGirl

DolphinGirl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

Is the DirecTV Genie Go the only way to get recorded content onto my iPad?

Has anyone been able to get a Genie Go from DirecTV for free?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

There's also another alternative. A Slingbox can be used to stream all your  content both live and recorded (as well as all other operations to any computer (windows or mac), Most any Smart Phone (Iphone, Windows Mobile, Android, Symbian, Palm, etc), Other iOS (such as an iPad, iPad Mini) and tablet Android Devices.

You can access both in network and remotely out of network; however remote quality really depends on your satellite receiver location's ISP upload bandwidth.

A Genie Go (or otherwise known as the Nomad) stores the content on the device to be used/viewd anywhere you take the device without the need for any internet dependancy); however you are limited to a certain number of show content based on format size as well as a length of time that the content is available for viewing.

#3 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,442 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

A Genie Go (or otherwise known as the Nomad) stores the content on the device to be used/viewd anywhere you take the device without the need for any internet dependancy); however you are limited to a certain number of show content based on format size as well as a length of time that the content is available for viewing.

Not sure what Yoda means about limits based on format size.

RE: Length of time, yes, the content is only good for 30 days after you copy it to your device. After that, you can re-copy it, but only if it's still on one of your DVRs.

/steve

#4 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,210 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

A couple of other 'features' of nomad / GenieGo, it also allows streaming within your home network, so you can watch your recordings (or near live current recording) on your iPad or laptop in the garage, deck or other room without a tv.

You get 5 clients with nomad and they're free.  A slingbox sounds nice but remote connectivity is getting more questionable in hotels / condos.  You may be able to get your email but streaming video is questionable.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

Not sure what Yoda means about limits based on format size.

RE: Length of time, yes, the content is only good for 30 days after you copy it to your device. After that, you can re-copy it, but only if it's still on one of your DVRs.

The format size limit I'm refering to is how much material can be on the Genie at any one given time. It's limited due to it's capacity/size.

And I quote:

How many hours of programming can GenieGO™ hold for downloading? Can I expand its storage capacity?

DIRECTV nomad™ customers: nomad™ is now GenieGO™. Same magical device. We just gave it a more appropriate name.

GenieGO™ holds approximately 20 hours of programming for downloading to your device. Actual capacity varies based on type of programming recorded. Once the maximum storage capacity is reached, the oldest shows will be automatically deleted to make room for new ones.

You can increase the capacity of GenieGO™ by plugging in an external hard drive into the USB port. Note: An external hard drive will be formatted for use with the GenieGO, meaning existing content on the hard drive will be deleted. So make sure to back up any important files you want to keep to another storage device before attaching the hard drive to GenieGO.

#6 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

A couple of other 'features' of nomad / GenieGo, it also allows streaming within your home network, so you can watch your recordings (or near live current recording) on your iPad or laptop in the garage, deck or other room without a tv.

You get 5 clients with nomad and they're free.  A slingbox sounds nice but remote connectivity is getting more questionable in hotels / condos.  You may be able to get your email but streaming video is questionable.

Thats funny as I do it all the time. Given that I am in nation larger chain hotels and not a days-in or laquinta style motel; most all have adequet speed to stream. Some places do infact however limit or restrict access to data on certain ports such as Slings standard port 5001 transport. Thats why I suggest taking 10 seconds and changing the default port to something like 443 in the setup configuration. This has also help many people in colleges and other school or work senarios with access restrictions in place. 

#7 OFFLINE   brian26339

brian26339

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Another way to get recorded shows on your ipad is to use windows mediacenter to record your shows. Then use a program such as Handbrake or Air Video Server to convert the mediacenter files into something the ipad can use. Drop the converted files into iTunes and load them up. I get really excellent video quality this way. If you are not already using windows mediacenter as a DVR, then it can be a little bit labor intensive to set up to capture the video if you are using TV set top boxes. If you like tinkering with this type of thing, check out the hauppauge HD-PVR or Colossus. Also go to 1geek1tool.com for software and setup info.

As for the converting software, I get better quality with Handbrake than with Air Video Server but Handbrake takes much longer to convert the file with the quality settings set high. YMMV.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,557 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

and very soon we will be able to watch "stream" those recordings outside of our networks without having to download them to the device first 

Edited by peds48, 24 May 2013 - 08:48 AM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,442 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

The format size limit I'm refering to is how much material can be on the Genie at any one given time. It's limited due to it's capacity/size.

Gotcha. Assuming you want to store more than 20 hours of content on your portable device at a time, you can easily increase the Genie Go device memory with the addition of a USB memory stick or even a USB drive. E.g., a $10 16GB memory stick will double your Genie Go storage to 40 hours. A $20 32GB stick will get you up to 60 hours, etc.

Remember, tho, If your intent is to increase Genie Go memory for archival purposes, that's not an option. A converted show can only sit in Genie Go memory as long as it's still on the HR it came from. Once you delete the original from that HR, the Genie Go copy is deleted as well.

If a show's been copied to your iPad or iPhone, it will stay on that device for up to 30 days, whether it's still in Genie Go memory or not.

/steve

#10 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

I got a Nomad and iPad for my deck a little while ago. There are caveats to this, however:

1) Live is live-ish. YOu have to set it to record, and watch the recording.

2) Live-ish does not have Fast Forward or Rewind capabilities. I use it to watch baseball, and if I pause it for a minute to do something, I can't skip the commercials (or anything else) to catch up. If I miss a play, I missed it, as I can't go back, unless you want to start from the beginning

3) There is only an iPhone app, which means it scales some. It's not bad on the iPad mini, but on a larger screen, it might be

4) Not DirecTv's fault, but the lightning connector for newer CrApple products does not output 1080, which hopefully won't kill me as I plan on using a 720p TV, but be aware.

5) Unless someone can actually prove otherwise, Android streaming is vaporware. Anything listed as 'soon' for over a year is vaporware, and officially in the category of "I'll believe it when I see it"

:pinkie:

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

Thats funny as I do it all the time. Given that I am in nation larger chain hotels and not a days-in or laquinta style motel; most all have adequet speed to stream. Some places do infact however limit or restrict access to data on certain ports such as Slings standard port 5001 transport. Thats why I suggest taking 10 seconds and changing the default port to something like 443 in the setup configuration. This has also help many people in colleges and other school or work senarios with access restrictions in place. 

That's true, but you'll never know until you check in and try it. Plus what may be working for awhile might not after a couple other rooms on the WAP decide that they also want to start streaming their content.

When I travel I also take the digital/HDMI adapter for my iPad and a cable along with me a connect my iPad to the TV set in the room. PQ using Sling can be really hit or miss when you blow it up to a 32->40" screen but GenieGo/nomad conent, while sure not HD, does look good.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

A Genie Go (or otherwise known as the Nomad) stores the content on the device to be used/viewd anywhere you take the device without the need for any internet dependancy);

Has the software progressed to the point that it doesn't need to phone home to verify your subscription?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Has the software progressed to the point that it doesn't need to phone home to verify your subscription?

Yes, most of the time, it still needs to verify a valid account at least every 30 days.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#14 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

I talked to a CSR this afternoon, I do not qualify at this time to get a free GenieGo, but they did offer me one for 1/2 price off the $99 selling price. Is it worth the $50 ?.
What are the pros and cons.. I saw the other day they FINALLY released the long awaited android app. This is why I have started to look into this product.
I appreciate any input you may have... Thanks...:P

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#15 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

I talked to a CSR this afternoon, I do not qualify at this time to get a free GenieGo, but they did offer me one for 1/2 price off the $99 selling price. Is it worth the $50 ?.
What are the pros and cons.. I saw the other day they FINALLY released the long awaited android app. This is why I have started to look into this product.
I appreciate any input you may have... Thanks... :P

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

Save your money. It doesn't work with root, most devices are incompatible, and the video looks bad even if you run a stock device that IS supported. 

At this point, if I didn't already have the Nomad, they couldn't pay me $50 to take it. I'll be looking to sell or return mine soon.

#16 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,813 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

My opinion, GenieGo is an excellent device to take shows with you for watching on a phone or tablet or PC.

I use GenieGo all the time on airplanes.   The way I see it (no pun intended),  I could pay an airline $7.99 per trip/direction for a few hours of crappy TV on a small hard to see screen with fingerprints plus extra $ for PPV.  Or transfer my favorite shows and movies from my DVR, watch them on 7' to 15" screens at no additional charge at 35K feet.

Its not HD but on 7" to 15" screens the quality is very good.  And free after a one time investment.

#17 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,210 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'm not sure where the crappy picture is coming from but we use it daily. Not only to take shows with us on the iPads but streaming around the house - in the garage, out on the deck, where ever there's not a tv. Wife watches a lot of her shows while in the kitchen.

The PQ is as good or better than anything streaming on the iPad or a laptop.

I often have something streaming near real-time (start a recording and stream it with geniego) - to keep my eye on something while we're watching something else on the big TV. My PIP.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#18 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Did I read earlier that this would allow you to stream in your nework, sorta like the old Directv2pc worked?  I sometimes like to stream a game almost live on my laptop, while watching another program on TV with my wife.  I can still use Directv2pc on my old, slow laptop, but not on my newer laptop.  Thanks in advance.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#19 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Did I read earlier that this would allow you to stream in your nework, sorta like the old Directv2pc worked?  I sometimes like to stream a game almost live on my laptop, while watching another program on TV with my wife.  I can still use Directv2pc on my old, slow laptop, but not on my newer laptop.  Thanks in advance.

Yes. Start recording the game, then you can begin streaming it from the GenieGo. There's no trick play available when streaming.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#20 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yes, but if it is currently recording, you don't get fast forward/rewind

I'm not sure where the crappy picture is coming from but we use it daily. Not only to take shows with us on the iPads but streaming around the house - in the garage, out on the deck, where ever there's not a tv. Wife watches a lot of her shows while in the kitchen.

The PQ is as good or better than anything streaming on the iPad or a laptop.

I often have something streaming near real-time (start a recording and stream it with geniego) - to keep my eye on something while we're watching something else on the big TV. My PIP.

Traded in the iPad for a Sony NSZ-GS7 and Slingbox, and it's SD to HD. Realizing that part of that is the iPad for their SOC Lightning HDMI, but it's just as subpar on my Nexus now, too. Not just streaming, but the transferred shows as well.

And, as an apples-to-apples ish comparison, Netflix looks the same on both the Sony and Nexus, so it's not a screen quality issue or anything. Directv just down-rezes the video, no two ways about it, and it's not necessary, since Netflix, Hulu, Slingbox, Amazon, etc. all manage to do it well.

It's becoming more and more clear that DirecTV is content to lag behind, and knows that while it has people like me trapped via Sunday Ticket exclusively, we'll just have to tolerate it.

spam firewall