Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie Go

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,909 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Again, I don't know what's wrong with your streaming or downloads to your tablet, but our picture quality of either to the iPad(s) is nearly perfect. 

Directv may lag behind in supporting all the android models but it's probably a different reason.

Enjoy your sony and slingbox.  geniego includes 5 clients for free.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

Again, I don't know what's wrong with your streaming or downloads to your tablet, but our picture quality of either to the iPad(s) is nearly perfect. 

Directv may lag behind in supporting all the android models but it's probably a different reason.

Enjoy your sony and slingbox.  geniego includes 5 clients for free.

The iPad video on the iPad was definitely better than the video on the Android. The Android version is not good enough for me on the deck, but will work for downloading Thomas the Train and Sesame Street for the 2 year old to watch at Red Robin. He isn't as picky as me.

The iPad video to the TV is more the fault of the Lightning connector. Apple compresses the video, sends it through the cable, which has it's own chip that uprezzes it. If you have a 30 pin connector iPad you don't have that problem.

I get the reasons why they only support some devices, although I disagree with them. One thing I don't understand, however, is how my Nexus 10 is not supported. My Samsung Galaxy S3 is supported, and Samsnug builds the Nexus 10, and the Nexus 4 and 7 are supported, so I wonder what the issue is there. Of course, I had to get a hacked version or try to fool the root to make it eventually work on the Nexus 10, and again, I know the reasons, but disagree with them wholeheartedly.

I guess, for me, it's disappointing to see this with them as a company. I have several pieces of hardware, for free, from when I had time to help in the CE program, and they were more cutting edge.  Now, I just don't get that from them, overall. Last to the party in the whole house DVR thing, last to the party with >2 streams per box, and now this sad excuse for an Android app after waiting on it for so long? I will eat crow on my vaporware comments, but when they had the bar set, at least in my mind, so high, letdowns like this just seem all the worse.

:pinkie:

#23 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

If I get the GenieGo they list it as an accessory. I know it does not extend your commitment. Does that mean it is owned or is it still leased?
Thanks

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#24 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

If I get the GenieGo they list it as an accessory. I know it does not extend your commitment. Does that mean it is owned or is it still leased?ThanksSent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

GenieGo is an owned accessory. You can resell it if you decide you don't want it.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#25 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

Actually while you can resell it, it's tied to your account and it is extremely difficult to get one moved from account to account. Not impossible, not against the laws of physics, but the owner of a used one should be prepared to spend a lot of time on the phone.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

My opinion, GenieGo is an excellent device to take shows with you for watching on a phone or tablet or PC.

I use GenieGo all the time on airplanes.   The way I see it (no pun intended),  I could pay an airline $7.99 per trip/direction for a few hours of crappy TV on a small hard to see screen with fingerprints plus extra $ for PPV.  Or transfer my favorite shows and movies from my DVR, watch them on 7' to 15" screens at no additional charge at 35K feet.

Its not HD but on 7" to 15" screens the quality is very good.  And free after a one time investment.

I totally agree with your assessment on the GenieGo. I travel very often and this thing makes the travel time so much more nicer. 

#27 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Actually while you can resell it, it's tied to your account and it is extremely difficult to get one moved from account to account. Not impossible, not against the laws of physics, but the owner of a used one should be prepared to spend a lot of time on the phone.

I can vouch for that and I was the one that purchased the used one....

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#28 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

I bought a used one on eBay and got it activated without too much difficulty. It did take two business days for DirecTV to transfer it from the old owner's account to mine, but I didn't have to spend a lot of time on the phone to arrange the transfer. The CSR called me back when the transfer was complete and wanted to stay on the line while I activated it.

I don't doubt that a brand new one is easier to activate, but at the time I saved myself around $40 so it was worth the two-day wait to me.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#29 OFFLINE   rd76

rd76

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Love my slingbox.  I get everything live including the ability to watch all the recorded programming.  Live tv works excellent even on 3g.  Set up on a sling was so easy.  There customer service was excellent.  Have been using about 6 months without any issues...

#30 OFFLINE   Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

and very soon we will be able to watch "stream" those recordings outside of our networks without having to download them to the device first 

Is this true?

My son will be going off to college this Fall so GenieGo wouldn't help him since his laptop would have to be on our home network to download shows from GenieGo.

But if he could download showsto his laptop remotely then GenieGo would work for him.

#31 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,307 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Is this true?
My son will be going off to college this Fall so GenieGo wouldn't help him since his laptop would have to be on our home network to download shows from GenieGo.
But if he could download showsto his laptop remotely then GenieGo would work for him.

note that I never said "download shows remotely" but rather stream outside your network. The same way "watch now" works in your network, but "on the go"

http://support.direc...C84U2k0WlFxbA==
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#32 OFFLINE   Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

note that I never said "download shows remotely" but rather stream outside your network. The same way "watch now" works in your network, but "on the go"

Sorry for my confusion, but after reading that DirecTV article I'm still not exactly sure what GenieGo will let you do when you are outside of your home network???

#33 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Right now the point if genie go is to download programs to your mobile Device while you are at home so that when you are not at home you will already have them on your mobile device to watch.

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Sorry for my confusion, but after reading that DirecTV article I'm still not exactly sure what GenieGo will let you do when you are outside of your home network???

As of right now, if you are in your home network and open the GenieGo app (Nomad) you can select a title and you have two options, one of them is to download it to your device for offline viewing. the second and newer choice is to "watch it now" if you select the second choice, the show will stream to your mobile device almost immediately. the latter is you we will be able to do if DirecTV ever releases this feature
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

Currently you can download or stream the content while inside your home on the same local network.  When the new feature hits, you'll be able to stream from the Nomad/GenieGo from outside your home network.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#36 OFFLINE   Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

Currently you can download or stream the content while inside your home on the same local network.  When the new feature hits, you'll be able to stream from the Nomad/GenieGo from outside your home network.

Great!!

That's exactly what I want to be able to do so my son will still be able to keep up on shows without having to watch them live in his dorm room.

Anyone know when the "outside your home network" feature is coming??

#37 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

nope, not yet
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#38 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

I clicked on your link: "Sorry, that answer is no longer available." So maybe this will be available 'soon'?

#39 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

I clicked on your link: "Sorry, that answer is no longer available." So maybe this will be available 'soon'?

it looks like DirecTV took the page down. finally!!!
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#40 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

"Coming soon" is all we get.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...