Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question on install of Hopper upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

Current setup: 722K plus two 612s. 722 is in main room (Den,) one 612 is in sunroom, one 612 is downstairs in bedroom.

I've been waiting to upgrade to a Hopper w/Sling, Hopper, and Joey (Den, Bedroom, and Sunroom repectively) until we move from our current den into another room upstairs which we are converting to be the new den. When we had the original install here, the tech went ahead and ran coax into the room in which we will be moving, so that all I would need to do to move into the new room was disconnect the cable for the current den from the splitter outside, connect the coax from the new room to the splitter, then move the receiver into the new room and connect it to the coax in that room.

My question: if I go ahead and have them do a Hopper upgrade now, in the current room, will they simply use the current coax and will it be just as simple to switch rooms later? 

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 882 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

The switch should be just as easy providing the cable to the new room is of good quality.  (RG6)

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

for clients [Joye] the cable requirement is not that strict: RG-59 should works OK

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

you can get good reading at www.dishuser.org/hopper.php page

#5 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

for clients [Joye] the cable requirement is not that strict: RG-59 should works OK

Yeah, problem is that the alternate cable the installer ran for us before in the unused room was whatever he used for the older receivers, and that is where the Hopper will be going. Not sure he used any special cabling. 

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

yeah, this box [H] want 3 GHz flat :)

#7 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 882 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Yeah, problem is that the alternate cable the installer ran for us before in the unused room was whatever he used for the older receivers, and that is where the Hopper will be going. Not sure he used any special cabling. 

If the new Hopper works in one room with the current cable, then I would strongly suspect it will work just fine in the other room.  The original installer would have installed the same quality cabling to both rooms.

I proved this to myself, as I have cabling, RG6, which is over ten years old, two lines, and both work just fine running my Hopper(s).  I spent a lot of time overthinking it and would have been better served by just going ahead and doing it in the first place and then only worrying if one of the lines wasn't good enough. 

Neither of my RG6 lines are rated 3 Ghz but back then they didn't test them that high I suspect.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

If the new Hopper works in one room with the current cable, then I would strongly suspect it will work just fine in the other room.  The original installer would have installed the same quality cabling to both rooms.

I proved this to myself, as I have cabling, RG6, which is over ten years old, two lines, and both work just fine running my Hopper(s).  I spent a lot of time overthinking it and would have been better served by just going ahead and doing it in the first place and then only worrying if one of the lines wasn't good enough. 

Neither of my RG6 lines are rated 3 Ghz but back then they didn't test them that high I suspect.

For acceptable length of the cable it's true. 3 GHz certification give you assurance in max runs (200' or so).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...