Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RC71 remote for HR44 will not program back to RF

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kwasnicka

kwasnicka

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

I got the HR44 installed last week as an upgrade.  The installer setup the RC71 remote in RF but he claims it will not program to operate my Samsung tv and Pioneer VSX-1022 receiver.  After he left I tried myself and could not get it to program to them either.  I then thought maybe if I change the RC71 to IR then maybe it would work.  Well, after switching it to IR I then had no option to program the remote to any other devices and now it will not program back to RF.  I have tried about 100 times to follow the steps to press select and mute until light blinks twice, then press channel up followed by select.  it never works and then after 2 minutes if reverts to IR and says I may not have an RF capable remote.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this back to RF or how to get it to control my tv and audio receiver?  I can use my old remote that controlled the HR21 I just replaced but I really like the new RC71 remote and want to use it for all 3 devices at the same time.

• RAD likes this
Directv customer since 1996.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

The last step is to press ENTER not SELECT, try that.

And you do need to be in RF mode in order to program the RC71 to control other devices. Before trying RF again you night just want to start from scratch and do a reset to defaults on the remote, press MUTE+SELECT then enter 981, the LED will flash 4 times when done.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   kwasnicka

kwasnicka

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

I did try the reset to factory settings for the remote from the on-screen option that says "reset remote" but that did not help.  I will try your other suggestions when I get home.  The instructions on the screen said to press "select".  I will try all options later.  Thanks for the help.

#4 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

I did try the reset to factory settings for the remote from the on-screen option that says "reset remote" but that did not help.  I will try your other suggestions when I get home.  The instructions on the screen said to press "select".  I will try all options later.  Thanks for the help.

Double check that, the old RF setup's were select but with the RC71 it's enter that is used in the last step.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   kwasnicka

kwasnicka

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

That worked! Thanks a lot. I even got it to program to the tv and audio receiver.

#6 OFFLINE   yall2

yall2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

I just had my hr44 installed today. I messed around a lot with the remotes. I have an Hr24 also. The end result is that I have the hr24 on RF and the hr44 on RF. BUT I have another old remote that is set to IR and I have my Yamaha stereo programed on it for mute and volume.

It is funny, when the hr44 is set to RF, it also responds to the old remote in IR at the same time. Soooo the hr44 is running both IR and RF at the same time. I like this as I can use my old remote to operate sound on the Yamaha receiver and change channels etc. There was no way for me to program the Yamaha stereo into the RC71.

So now I use one old remote in RF for the hr24 in RF only and the other old remote in IR for the hr44. Tho I can still use the rc71 from the bedroom in RF without changing anything if I want to.

I  hope this comment is understandable.

#7 OFFLINE   pjm

pjm

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

Any chance Directv will come out with a universal remote that will let me control the HR44-500, Panasonic TV, Blu-ray player and Denon receiver. Is there a universal on the market that will do this?

Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Not via RF, no. But since it still responds to the old IR codeset, many universal remotes can do what you ask.

aka Tivoburkee

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

. Is there a universal on the market that will do this?

Thanks

Look at the Logitech harmony lines of remotes.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   pjm

pjm

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

I didn't think that Logitech used rf4ce

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

I didn't think that Logitech used rf4ce

no they don't.  but you ask for a universal remote, NOT a DirecTV remote.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 798 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

It's pretty doubtful that they'll come out with a universal remote that does everything the RC65 does (multiple devices) in RF4CE.

The reasoning being that most people just don't use the RC65 for their DVD player or other devices. With the RC71 doing TV/AVR volume and the DTV receiver that's pretty much all 95% of the users are going to want.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#13 OFFLINE   nbloomquist

nbloomquist

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

I upgraded to an HR44 last week as well. The installer programmed the RC71 to RF mode. After he left I programmed an RC65RB in IR to work with the HR44 and at that point the RC 71 stopped working with my TV. I tried to program it back to RF and had a lot of trouble, but after a few attempts it went back to RF and I was able to program it to control my TV as well. While my RC65RB controls my HR44, my TV, my DVD, and Sony stereo - the RC71 will only do the HR and TV - nothing else. That, the stop and Active buttons are the main things I have noticed are missing with the RC71. Actually, I would like to see a backlit version as well.  I have to admit, I do still love it though. It has a great feel.

Not sure this helps, but I know it should go back from IR to RF mode.

Bloomers

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,636 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

My '71 will control my TV, my DVR, and my Denon AVR via my Samsung TV's volume control. But I wouldn't expect a direcTV remote to control my Blu-ray player. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

I was able to switch my RC71 between RF and IR mode by following the onscreen instructions. What I see missing from the above text is entering 981 after the mute/select hold, then pressing channel-up and then Enter to go to RF mode. To reset to IR, enter 961 and press Enter,

Steve

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:00 AM

I understand there will be a backlit version of the RC71 at some point. As for putting RF4CE into other devices, well, first that's up to the manufacturers. Because RF4CE is an open standard, anyone could do it, but so far no one seems interested.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   notdeadyet

notdeadyet

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

I was able to switch my RC71 between RF and IR mode by following the onscreen instructions. What I see missing from the above text is entering 981 after the mute/select hold, then pressing channel-up and then Enter to go to RF mode. To reset to IR, enter 961 and press Enter,

nothing I did worked till I tried holding the mute button and enter button down at the same time to start, and that alone reverted the remote back to IR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spam firewall