Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New broadcast TV "movies" channel

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,630 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

Fox affiliated television stations in Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC are now identifying their X.2 subchannels as "movies".  Here in Washington, DC, they put up color bars last night, and this morning, they are showing some syndicated trash called the" Trisha" show., with a distracting lower caption bar that reads

WDCA 20 - MOVIES - Washington, DC (my 20 logo)

Does anyone know where I might find program listings and schedules for this channel?

Edited by AntAltMike, 24 May 2013 - 11:31 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Here is their schedule page on their website. http://moviestvnetwo...om/schedule.php

Their website is not extensively developed at the moment, only showing one week of scheduled programming, and with no clickable link to the movie synopses

High Anxiety and Silent Movie are scheduled.

Edited by AntAltMike, 24 May 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

Fox affiliated television stations in Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC are now identifying their X.2 subchannels as "movies".  Here in Washington, DC, they put up color bars last night, and this morning, they are showing   with a distracting lower caption bar that reads

WDCA 20 - MOVIES - Washington, DC (my 20 logo)

and are showing some syndicated trash called the" Trisha" show.

Does anyone know where I might find program listings and schedules for this channel?

Thanks for the heads up, I just did a Tivo OTA scan and sure enough I have WFXT 25.2 now, but it's a test pattern at the moment 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Here is even more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movies!

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

In Loving Memory of My Beautiful Lisa

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,077 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

Thanks, guys.

OT, but I wish everyone one would list their general location in their personal profile.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

I thought Fox was planning (threatening) to scrub OTA and go cable/sat only?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,162 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Looks like 19 cities are getting the Movies! network:

http://www.rabbitear...network=Movies!

Here in NY, it's coming *soon".

NY Movies!.jpg

/steve

#8 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

OT, but I wish everyone one would list their general location in their personal profile.

Very OT, as I am the only person to author a post above yours in this thread who does not list his general location in his personal profile, and neither of my posts have anything to do with where I am, though I did say, "Here in Washington, DC" in the first one.

I have serviced TV antenna systems in eleven states plus the District of Columbia and have current professional responsibilities to customers in nine of those states plus DC, and I keep track of TV stations in seven DMAs.  In the gas price thread, I mention where the pump prices I am reportiing are in each and every post I author there.  But you still can't stick a potato in my exhaust pipe because you can't find me. :P

Edited by AntAltMike, 24 May 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

They are running promos of upcoming films including :

Taxi Driver
Serpico
The Lords of Flatbush
From Here to Eternity
Planet of the Apes
On the Waterfront
The Poseidon Adventure
MASH

#10 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,024 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Looks as of WAGA 5 here in Atlanta will be carrying this channel as well.

The only question is if DirecTV will provide program data for this channel.   While the AM2n can scan both WATL 36.2 (Bounce) and 36.3 (Antenna TV), we still have no guide data for either channel and it's been close to 2 years.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,162 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

FWIW, I get DIRECTV guide data for Antenna TV. I seem to have lost Bounce tho. It's supposed to be on 9-3 here, but I only get 9-1 and 9-2. Could have sworn I had it, at one time, tho. :scratchin

I did a re-scan, to see if i could find Bounce. No luck, but it did pick up a "second" 5-2, which turns out to be Movies! It's all trailers now, stating it will start on Memorial Day. No guide data... yet.

/steve

#12 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

They are running promos of upcoming films including :

Taxi Driver
Serpico
The Lords of Flatbush
From Here to Eternity the digitl
Planet of the Apes
On the Waterfront
The Poseidon Adventure
MASH

Yeah, and they are showing that they have some good stuff, but it's disappointing none of this stuff is in widescreen. I thought that since digital transfer everything that was new network wise had to be at least 720P?

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

This "MOVIES" channel is a creation of Weigel Broadcasting, the same outfit that runs ME-TV.  We have a Weigel-Owned full power station here in Milwaukee which is carrying it (naturally).  There is a good article about it in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel in the TV-Radio section.  Go to jsonline.com to check it out!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#14 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

This "MOVIES" channel is a creation of Weigel Broadcasting, the same outfit that runs ME-TV.  We have a Weigel-Owned full power station here in Milwaukee which is carrying it (naturally).  There is a good article about it in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel in the TV-Radio section.  Go to jsonline.com to check it out!

Cool thanks http://www.jsonline..../208717551.html

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#15 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,416 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, and they are showing that they have some good stuff, but it's disappointing none of this stuff is in widescreen. I thought that since digital transfer everything that was new network wise had to be at least 720P?

"720p" is not synonymous with "widescreen."

But, no, there's no absolutely no requirement that new OTA services broadcast in HD, or even widescreen.

trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#16 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

I thought Fox was planning (threatening) to scrub OTA and go cable/sat only?

And they still may. But that is a different issue. FOX is not going to close shop on the stations it owns, and in fact they need to find ways to use the bandwidth they have to discourage the government Overlords from snatching it out from under them. There is a "use it or lose it" chill going through OTA right now. If a station lets one bit through as a null bit wihout content, the FCC will annex it under Eminent Domain (except without compensation) and sell it to Verizon.

And this is exactly why we are seeing these subs. They are not there to make money, they are there to reserve bandwidth.

Movies! is an attempt to do just that. It is supposed to be content from the FOX library which should be mostly movies, but FOX also has a reality channel with a lot of stuff in the can so it might be more than just movies.

The signal was not up on the sat for distribution to FOX stations Wednesday, but the O&O stations were all required to have it up and running with some sort of signal by then. Some stations duplicated Bounce or some other sub for the duration, but by now all FOX O&O stations should have Movies! up. FOX affils will probably get first dibs, but you may see it appear on any TV station in your market eventually, assuming they are willing to pay the freight to NewsCorp er, 21st Century FOX (the new name). FOX owns 28 stations in 22 markets, so I would expect Movies! to be on most if not all of those locations pretty quickly, although there may be legal or other obstructions in a couple of locations. But it is not exclusive to FOX O&O stations, so most markets will have it eventually.

As for the "threat", that is more possible than a lot of folks think. Most FOX stations already have the infrastructure in place to feed different signals to OTA than what goes to cable and sat. Stations in Comcast and Cox markets already send different commercials to cable viewers than go out OTA.

As far as execution, it would never need to be a full abandonment of OTA. All FOX has to do is move a couple of NFL games this fall to cable only (which would be replaced by news repeats or something else OTA) to make good on that threat. That alone should be enough to scare the pants off of Aereo and discourage them from trying to sell customers FOX minus its best programs. If nobody blinks, they can move a couple of other prime shows. And they can do that while completely fulfilling all license obligations. If all the big nets do that, and they also adopt the ABC free streaming model, which is easy and inexpensive to do, paying $12 a month for OTA on your iPad will not be all that attractive anymore, and it'll be buh-bye, Aereo, and the horse they rode in on.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

"720p" is not synonymous with "widescreen."

But, no, there's no absolutely no requirement that new OTA services broadcast in HD, or even widescreen.

What he said.

I think there is not technolgy as of yet that can squeeze two HD signals into a single OTA channel, at least not while delivering any sort of quality, since they would have to split about 17 Mb/s between them just for the video. The only requirement is that they be broadcast digitally under ATSC, which includes the 480i 4:3 format.

That said, technically it could still be 16:9 SD if they had opted for that, and I am a little disappointed that they didn't, seeing as how nearly every movie in the FOX library would probably be well suited to that aspect ratio. Digital SD widescreen 480i is very possible for a sub, and the quality of that is light years better than old analog SD delivery as we knew it.

Edited by TomCat, 24 May 2013 - 07:58 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#18 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,024 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

FWIW, I get DIRECTV guide data for Antenna TV. I seem to have lost Bounce tho. It's supposed to be on 9-3 here, but I only get 9-1 and 9-2. Could have sworn I had it, at one time, tho. :scratchin

I did a re-scan, to see if i could find Bounce. No luck, but it did pick up a "second" 5-2, which turns out to be Movies! It's all trailers now, stating it will start on Memorial Day. No guide data... yet.

I'll be interested to see if any of us get guide data for this channel.  

DirecTV really needs to come up with some kind of solution for this problem..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,162 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

I decided to re-initialize my HR44 OTA channel database today and do a fresh scan. I now only have a single "5-2" channel showing in the GUIDE. That said I'm still seeing guide data for WWORDT going out all next week, even though what I see on-screen are trailers for the Movie! channel. Fingers-crossed that at some point that GUIDE data gets replaced.

What's interesting is that the Rabbit Ears info below shows it as a 480i (w) channel. I assume that means "widescreen", but I'm currently seeing letterboxed video on my 16:9 display, with the HR44 set to "pillar boxed". If I set it to "stretch", it does just that, which is unacceptable. Only "crop" blows it up full-screen, so I'm not sure what the intent of the "w" designation is.

NY Movies!.jpg

/steve

#20 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,162 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

I re-initialized my HR44 OTA channel database today and re-scanned, and now I only have a single "5-2" channel showing in the GUIDE. Unfortunately it still shows the guide data for WWORDT going out all next week, even though what I see on-screen are trailers for the Movie! channel. Fingers-crossed at some point the correct guide data will be sync'd.

As you can see below, the Rabbit Ears info shows it as a 480i (w) channel. I assume that means "widescreen", but I'm currently seeing letterboxed output on my 16:9 display set to "full" and my HR44 set to "pillar boxed". If I set it the HR44 to "stretch", it does just that, which is unacceptable. Only "crop" blows it up full-screen.

NY Movies!.jpg

/steve

spam firewall