Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Pursues Co-Development of Fixed-Mobile Broadband Offering

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

logo.gif

DISH Pursues Co-Development of Fixed-Mobile Broadband Offering
  • DISH Network and NTELOS Holdings Corp. sign Letter of Intent to pursue strategic relationship
  • Service would deliver wireless broadband to largely underserved or unserved communities in the NTELOS service region

WAYNESBORO, Va. & ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH Network (NASDAQ: DISH) and NTELOS Holdings Corp. (nTelos)(NASDAQ: NTLS), a leading regional provider of nationwide wireless voice and data communications and home to the "best value in wireless," announced today that nTelos and a wholly owned subsidiary of DISH have executed a Letter of Intent to pursue a strategic relationship to co-develop a fixed-mobile broadband service within nTelos's coverage territory serving Virginia, West Virginia and portions of Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Kentucky.

Once complete, the service is expected to give nTelos and DISH customers, many of whom are located in underserved rural communities, access to reliable high-speed Internet, whether at home or on the go.

"We are pleased to team with nTelos on this exciting opportunity to leverage their mobile capabilities along with our technical service infrastructure to develop broadband services," said Charlie Ergen, chairman and co-founder of DISH. "With users consuming more data, the demand for fast, reliable Internet service remains stronger than ever, particularly in rural areas where the FCC estimates nearly a fifth of American households lack broadband access. By working with nTelos, we believe we can create a service that simultaneously addresses the mobile and in-home requirements of rural residents, with the potential to serve as a model for how we can utilize spectrum more effectively while creating differentiated consumer offerings."

"Today's announcement demonstrates nTelos's commitment to finding new and innovative ways to serve our customers, while maximizing the value of our network assets to grow our business," said James A. Hyde, CEO of NTELOS Holdings Corp. "The convergence of fixed and mobile broadband networks holds tremendous promise for consumers and telecom service providers alike, allowing for an improved customer experience and new sources of incremental revenue. Our relationship with DISH puts us at the forefront of that convergence and creates an opportunity for nTelos to establish itself as a thought leader among wireless service providers."

About NTELOS

NTELOS Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ: NTLS), operating through its subsidiaries as "nTelos Wireless," is headquartered in Waynesboro, VA, and provides high-speed, dependable nationwide voice and data coverage for approximately 451,000 retail subscribers based in Virginia, West Virginia and portions of Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Kentucky. nTelos's licensed territories have a total population of approximately 7.9 million residents, of which its wireless network covers approximately 6.0 million residents. nTelos is also the exclusive wholesale provider of wireless digital PCS services to Sprint Nextel in nTelos's western Virginia and West Virginia service area for all Sprint CDMA wireless customers. Additional information about nTelos is available at www.ntelos.com or www.facebook.com/nteloswireless and www.twitter.com/ntelos_wireless.

About DISH

DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.092 million satellite TV customers, as of March 31, 2013, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life®. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

Wonder how many equipment and other add-on fees they'll shove down subscriber's throats.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

I think this interesting. I can't wait to see what the data caps are.

#4 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

DISH and nTelos Launch Fixed Wireless Broadband Pilot

Providers utilize LTE, outdoor wireless antennas to deliver cable-like speeds in rural Virginia trial

WAYNESBORO, Va. & ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Following last month's announcement of their intent to co-develop a fixed wireless broadband service, DISH (NASDAQ: DISH) and NTELOS Holding Corp. (NASDAQ: NTLS) have now deployed broadband service in rural Virginia using wireless spectrum in the 2.5 GHz range. Broadband service speeds at the initial test sites are ranging from 20 Mbps to more than 50 Mbps.

"This trial delivers speeds several times faster to our home than the wireline service that we have been using," said Anthony Gingerich, Waynesboro resident and nTelos employee. "Streaming video is a very good experience through the fixed broadband connection and the overall Internet experience has improved for our family."

As part of the demonstration, nTelos and DISH have activated two wireless tower test sites in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Waynesboro and Afton, Va. Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent have provided equipment and assisted in the installation.

The trial differentiates itself from prior fixed broadband services by relying on professionally installed rooftop devices at customers' homes that are intended to deliver significant gain and throughput advantages over inside-the-home antenna solutions. DISH has deployed BandRich ruggedized outdoor routers with built-in high-gain antennas to receive the 2.5 GHz LTE signal.

"With nearly a fifth of American households underserved by broadband, a fixed wireless solution delivering true broadband speeds will bring improved broadband options to potentially millions of consumers," said Tom Cullen, DISH executive vice president of Corporate Development. "DISH has a nationwide workforce of professional technicians that can be dispatched to install both a satellite dish for our video service and an antenna for broadband on the same roof at the same time."

"nTelos is extremely encouraged by the level of progress we've achieved since announcing our co-development project with DISH less than three weeks ago. This has been a true team effort, bringing together the talents and expertise of various vendor partners to accelerate the completion of our LTE core and to design and install fixed broadband wireless technology within the nTelos footprint," noted James A. Hyde, CEO of NTELOS Holdings Corp. "We are excited to test this first of its kind offering, with an emphasis on further shrinking the service gap of underserved, rural communities. As we prove out the concept and refine the offering, we are confident this partnership will build value for all our stake holders."

DISH and nTelos have not disclosed details on the duration of the trial service or plans for expansion beyond the test sites.

A video of the DISH-nTelos fixed wireless broadband pilot is available here: http://about.dish.co...broadband-pilot

About NTELOS

NTELOS Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ: NTLS), operating through its subsidiaries as "nTelos Wireless," is headquartered in Waynesboro, VA, and provides high-speed, dependable nationwide voice and data coverage for approximately 451,000 retail subscribers based in Virginia, West Virginia and portions of Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Kentucky. nTelos's licensed territories have a total population of approximately 7.9 million residents, of which its wireless network covers approximately 6.0 million residents. nTelos is also the exclusive wholesale provider of wireless digital PCS services to Sprint Nextel in nTelos's western Virginia and West Virginia service area for all Sprint CDMA wireless customers. Additional information about nTelos is available at www.ntelos.com or www.facebook.com/nteloswireless and www.twitter.com/ntelos_wireless.

About DISH

DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.092 million satellite TV customers, as of March 31, 2013, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life®. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#5 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Dish and nTelos start testing fixed LTE broadband in rural Virginia

Dish has so far had to be content with offering broadband over its existing satellite network, but the company has made no secret of wanting a terrestrial service. The carrier can now do more than talk about those plans: it just launched a pilot LTE service in rural Virginia with nTelos' help. The test run supplies 2.5GHz wireless internet access to a handful of homes near Afton and Waynesboro, with speeds hovering at a respectable 20Mbps to 50Mbps. Neither provider is ready to talk about where the trial goes from here, although Dish is ambitious enough to see all of an underserved rural America as its potential customer base.

dish-ntelos-lte.jpg
Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

If this is line-of-sight, it still won't accomplish much in many areas due to terrain and vegetation.  I have quite a few hills and taller trees, but I can physically see (beacons at night) at least three radio/cell towers if they could get their equipment on those.  There are some other towers I might be able to 'see' electronically if the transceiver were placed high enough.

But again, even if all that worked out it's going to an issue of rates and traffic caps and how many extra fees Dish adds on.  Right now, Clear is about $50/mo if I were in their service range.  DishNet (satellite) is higher than that.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Wonder how many equipment and other add-on fees they'll shove down subscriber's throats.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Why don't buy a  digital antenna??? 

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

If this is line-of-sight, it still won't accomplish much in many areas due to terrain and vegetation.  I have quite a few hills and taller trees, but I can physically see (beacons at night) at least three radio/cell towers if they could get their equipment on those.  There are some other towers I might be able to 'see' electronically if the transceiver were placed high enough.

But again, even if all that worked out it's going to an issue of rates and traffic caps and how many extra fees Dish adds on.  Right now, Clear is about $50/mo if I were in their service range.  DishNet (satellite) is higher than that.

Do you pick through your salad trying to find bug parts?
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#10 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

It is not LOS like satellite is, but is more affected by vegetation than cell phones are - it's kind of an in-between area due to the 2.5 GHz frequencies used.  Neither installation had direct LOS to a tower, but had a relatively thin tree line to shoot through.  This is 4G LTE technology, just using the spectrum Dish owns.

In case you're wondering how I know, that's me in the hardhat in the picture above.  That being said, I have pretty much exhausted my technical knowledge of the product already.  I had no hand in it's development, I just got to be the tech on camera installing it.  It is very promising though, if they can deploy it fast enough and keep the pricing right.

#11 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

Bigger than pricing or availability, the real question is what kind of caps will be imposed. If it is unlimited (or near unlimited with caps in the hundreds of gigs like some of the cable companies) then Dish may have something. If they put satellite or mobile LTE level caps on it, then this will be relegated to rural areas only.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...