Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Right Angle F type adapters, any good ones?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

A while back I was told that I should avoid Right Angle F type adapters because of the loss incurred with every connection made. That said I have 3 locations where the standard straight through connection puts the wall plate under a great deal of strain and in one case even caused a failure twice. Are there any usable right angle adapters out there? Any that someone has used?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

This says it is swept to 3.0 GHZ. I feel certain that this rating is what to look for in connectors.

The thing that is relevant is that you now have 2 places to come loose instead of one.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

I have a few from summitsource.com (part COS106) that I've used for various things. Works fine for satellite and OTA signals. Works fine on my 24v power block between it and the cable connecting to the DC/PWR port on my SWM-16s, so I know they can carry voltage too. The insertion loss is well under a db - much better than the loss you'd have from coax that's been bent much too tightly or a wall connector under enough stress that its breaking.

If you want avoid jimmie57's concern about "2 places to come loose instead of one", I've seen right angle RG6 compression connectors. Perhaps there are even some angled connectors you can get for your wall plate if you hunt around enough.

Edited by slice1900, 25 May 2013 - 12:05 AM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

I have several bought from Lowes and Home Depot that work just fine. The insertion loss is trivial.

#5 OFFLINE   Jim1023

Jim1023

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Right angle compression connectors are available from IDC and Belden.

Some examples:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

Both are good for wiring MDU equipment in confined spaces.  The Beldens are available for about half the eBay prices if you buy in quantities of 50 or more.

DIRECTV customer since July 1994

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

I use some inexpensive right angle elbows, and have never had a problem with satellite signals. I do try to avoid using them when I can, but there are a few places where it is almost a necessity.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,162 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

I don't trust these right angle connectors.  What you really need is a recessed wall plate

http://www.google.co...9QEwAA&dur=6419

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall