Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWiM Install and Need Help

SWiM Instalation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cjheiny

cjheiny

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWolcottville, IN

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Hello. 

I recently moved from a house that Directv installed for me to my new house. I called Directv and they told me that it would be $250.00 to install at my house. I decided that I would try and install the dish myself instead. I have a SWiM 3 LNB and  the genie HD DVR and 2 HD recievers (not the clients). I have installed the mast (which is perfectly plumb, and the dish. I pre-set everything that I could on the ground. When I went to align and peak the dish, the only satellites that I can find are the 101 transponder 28, 30, and 32, and they all have decent signals in the mid 80's. Why can I only find those transponders?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,938 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

You are aimed at the 110 satellite. Swing your azimuth 8 to 10 degrees east and you should find 101. Once on 101 you will also see 99 and 103.

#3 OFFLINE   cjheiny

cjheiny

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

Ok. I will go try that and thank you for such a quick reply. Does that mean that I shouldn't even see those if I am aimed at the 101?

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Ok. I will go try that and thank you for such a quick reply. Does that mean that I shouldn't even see those if I am aimed at the 101?

Except for maybe transponder 28 you should see those numbers and a lot more at 101w.

26 out of the 32 transponders (to be exact) should be at high numbers at 101w.

The remaining 6 transponders, 4, 12, 18, 20, 26, and 28, are for local market spotbeams and thereby some or all of them may have low to zero readings.  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   cjheiny

cjheiny

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Except for maybe transponder 28 you should see those numbers and a lot more at 101w.

26 out of the 32 transponders (to be exact) should be at high numbers at 101w.

The remaining 6 transponders, 4, 12, 18, 20, 26, and 28, are for local market spotbeams and thereby some or all of them may have low to zero readings.  

Ok. I was able to find 26 but none of the others by adjusting the alz. should I adjust the tilt?

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

Yes, you need to adjust the azimuth / side to side
and the elevation to get the 101 to very high readings. Most of the transponders will be in the mid to high 90s, maybe even some at 100.
Then check the 99 ( c ) and the 103 ( ca ) and 103 ( cb ). Don't worry with the 99s and 103s.

Remember, you are aiming at a target that is several thousand miles away.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Ok. I was able to find 26 but none of the others by adjusting the alz. should I adjust the tilt?

Yes, if you start with the correct elevation setting as given by say dishpointer.com and then pan across 101w and do not find anything. Slightly Increase or decrease the elevation by maybe 1 degree and try to pan again around 101w until you find it. It shouldn't take very long to locate 101w assuming the LNB is functioning properly of course.    

#8 OFFLINE   cjheiny

cjheiny

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Yes, if you start with the correct elevation setting as given by say dishpointer.com and then pan across 101w and do not find anything. Slightly Increase or decrease the elevation by maybe 1 degree and try to pan again around 101w until you find it. It shouldn't take very long to locate 101w assuming the LNB is functioning properly of course.

Should I adjust elevation with fine tuning bolt or with the big 2?

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

Should I adjust elevation with fine tuning bolt or with the big 2?

Big two ...

The fine or vernier tuning is really for peaking the Ka band reception.

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,938 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

And go S L  O W  as you make your adjustments. You can go right past the satellite, with signals from zero to max and back to zero, with only an inch or so movement of your LNB left to right.

Go to www.dishpointer.com and zoom in on your location. From that you can get a very good idea where to point for the 101 satellite.

#11 OFFLINE   cjheiny

cjheiny

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

And go S L  O W  as you make your adjustments. You can go right past the satellite, with signals from zero to max and back to zero, with only an inch or so movement of your LNB left to right.

Go to www.dishpointer.com and zoom in on your location. From that you can get a very good idea where to point for the 101 satellite.

Using their map, I am able to find (I think) find the 110. I haven't tried since last time, but I will find my small 20 inch monitor that I can take up on the roof with me, instead of my wife on the phone with me. Since I can find the 110, does that mean that my elevation, (and tilt, if it matters) are close so I should be able to at least get something on the 101?

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,938 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

If your dish is aimed properly, you will see transponders on all of the satellites.  Your initial symptoms suggested that you were checking signals for 101 and were only seeing those 3 specific transponders (which is what you will see for 101 if your dish happens to be aimed at 110).

If you are now looking at the signal screen for 110 and are seeing those 3 satellites, then you are properly aimed (and should be able to see many transponders when you go to the 101 screen). If you are looking at the screen for 110 and are seeing something different, then you are not properly aimed.

You want to set up to monitor a single transponder on 101. When you get a signal, adjust for maximum then change to the screen that shows all the transponders on 101.You should have most (as HoTat2 noted, some are spot beams that you may not have). Once you are at that point, check the other satellite screens. You should see good signals on all 3 (or all 5 depending on your LNB assembly) satellites. You will either have 99, 101 and 103 (for a 3 LNB), or 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119 (for a 5 LNB).

Note that getting 99 and 103 requires careful fine tuning once you have found 101. Properly aimed, you should have high 80's or 90's on most 99 and 103 transponders, and mid to high 90's on most 101 transponders.

#13 OFFLINE   cjheiny

cjheiny

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

If your dish is aimed properly, you will see transponders on all of the satellites.  Your initial symptoms suggested that you were checking signals for 101 and were only seeing those 3 specific transponders (which is what you will see for 101 if your dish happens to be aimed at 110).

If you are now looking at the signal screen for 110 and are seeing those 3 satellites, then you are properly aimed (and should be able to see many transponders when you go to the 101 screen). If you are looking at the screen for 110 and are seeing something different, then you are not properly aimed.

You want to set up to monitor a single transponder on 101. When you get a signal, adjust for maximum then change to the screen that shows all the transponders on 101.You should have most (as HoTat2 noted, some are spot beams that you may not have). Once you are at that point, check the other satellite screens. You should see good signals on all 3 (or all 5 depending on your LNB assembly) satellites. You will either have 99, 101 and 103 (for a 3 LNB), or 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119 (for a 5 LNB).

Note that getting 99 and 103 requires careful fine tuning once you have found 101. Properly aimed, you should have high 80's or 90's on most 99 and 103 transponders, and mid to high 90's on most 101 transponders.

OK. Will do. Thank you guys for all your help. I am on leaving on business tuesday and will try again next weekend. Thanks again.

#14 OFFLINE   cjheiny

cjheiny

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Back up and at it. Looked for one hour, moving a cm at a time. All I found was the 110 and transponder 26, which I thought was a spot beam on 101. 

--Chris

Edited by cjheiny, 31 May 2013 - 06:43 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...