Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New house and all new DirecTV equipment

HR34 C31 installation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shortdogs

shortdogs

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'm currently building a new house and am pulling all the cabling next week.  I've got Cat6 and RG6/QuadShield to run.  I've got a living room and 3 bedrooms to set up.  

My new equipment includes an HR34 (living room) and 3 C31s (bedrooms).  I may put my HR22-100 in one of the bedroom (Master) in case I have issues with the C31 (can't miss watching my shows!).  I've got a 21v power inserter and a 2-way green label splitter (they came with the HR34 and clients when I bought them off Ebay).

I'm planning on running the Cat6 and RG6 to each room (2 runs to each room - in case I want to add cable - and 4 to the Master so that I can have both the C31 and HR22 in there as well as the extra for cable).  All TVs are HD.

So, here are my questions:

- any wiring diagrams so that I make sure I get it right?

- what satellite antenna should I get?

- lots of diagrams include a deca for the HR34 but I think that's just because they're relabeling the HR24 diagrams

- what other equipment will I need - a SWM8 or 16?  right now I have the Genie(HR34) = 5, Clients=0, and HR22 = 2  for a total of 7.  I guess I could, theoretically, need a few more if I put a DVR in the other 2 bedrooms.

- can I get by with only 1 line from the antenna? when/why would I need 4?

Thanks in advance!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,281 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

So, here are my questions:

- any wiring diagrams so that I make sure I get it right?

- what satellite antenna should I get? ​since you are getting a Genie, you definitely need a SWM LNB (<8 tuners).  depending where your locals come form and if you subscribe to spanish programming dictates if you need an SL3 or SL 5

- lots of diagrams include a deca for the HR34 but I think that's just because they're relabeling the HR24 diagrams ​Technically speaking you can connect the Genie directly to your router, but DirecTV always installs a DECA

- what other equipment will I need - a SWM8 or 16?  right now I have the Genie(HR34) = 5, Clients=0, and HR22 = 2  for a total of 7.  I guess I could, theoretically, need a few more if I put a DVR in the other 2 bedrooms. for <8 tuners SWM LNB.  for >8 legacy LNB to a SWM16 switch

- can I get by with only 1 line from the antenna? when/why would I need 4? see above

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by peds48, 25 May 2013 - 07:10 PM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,385 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

You bought an HR34 and clients off e-bay? Did you confirm with DirecTV that this was an owned unit and you'll be able to activate it?

#4 OFFLINE   shortdogs

shortdogs

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Thanks, Godfather and trh!  I'm down in Baja California (that's why I had to buy off of Ebay, trh - they won't upgrade me to anything without an install) and I get my locals from San Diego. Were about 100 miles south of the border.  

I plan on living here for a long time, so I'd like to be as future-thinking as possible. Any suggestions?  Put in the larger dish? 

Also, will I need a Deca if I want to include my HR22 to be able to view the programs on it in other parts of the house?

Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,385 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

If you're outside of the US, what you're planning on doing is against your TOS with DirecTV and as they say on their website, they are prohibited to provide you service outside of the US.

But unless you verified with DirecTV that the equipment you bought off e-bay were already owned units, you may have bought a leased unit which you won't be able to get activated even here in the US.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,281 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

the rules of this forum states that we cannot offer advice that breaks DirecTV TOS, and since you are trying to receive DirecTV service outside of the USA, I am afraid we can't help you.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

As has been mentioned, we don't allow discussions that violate the TOS. So this thread is locked.

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HR34, C31, installation

Protected By... spam firewall...And...