Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lansing, MI WKAR & WHTV HD Screen Format Wrong

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rcamburn

rcamburn

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

So, some time this spring these two station's became HD on my service, but the problem is the screen format is wrong.

They're coming in 16x9 squished to a 4x3 frame, and the "format" button on the remote does nothing on these two channels.

I've rebooted my Hopper/Joey a couple of times with no change.

Any Ideas?

Rick

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

That could be what they're sending Dish. 16x9 cakeboxed, or 16x9 compressed horizontally into a 4x3? In theory with the * button and "stretch" you should see a 16x9 picture on the latter and Full Zoom would be full screen on the former.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   rcamburn

rcamburn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

What you say makes perfect sense, the kicker is the * button has absolutely no function on these two channels.

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

Maybe your TV's settings are the issue? My parents had a TV with 'Smartfit' that messed that up pretty good.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#5 OFFLINE   rcamburn

rcamburn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

Its not the TV, I can watch all other HD channels on Dish with their screen formats being a proper 16x9, if I change the channel to either of these two, its

a 16x9 image squeezed into a 4x3 frame. The format button(*) does nothing on these two channels.

This problem exists on my Hopper & Joey(2 different TVs)

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

What kind of TV?

Even if there is a TV or channel problem... and the "*" key can't properly fix it...  it should be doing something.  IF pressing the "*" doesn't distort the image or zoom it at all, then that seems like a problem too.  I suspect your TV to be a problem in this too, however.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

It's something in the transmission to Dish and as explained in another post  Dish is aware of it. Usually issues like this with locals do get corrected, this started at the end of March so it is taking a long time. Rather than asking the same question in different places I would contact a Dish DIRT member again and see what's going on. It's possible it is out of the control of Dish depending on how the transmissions are received but you should at the least get an explanation.

#8 OFFLINE   demarcoc

demarcoc

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'm also in the Lansing market, and I have the exact same problem. Reported the issue to customer support about a month ago and no change yet.

Stumbled across a workaround, though. While the * (Format) button won't work, you can go into Settings > Format TV > HDTV and change the aspect ratio to "4x3#2". This will make those two channels display correctly.

Of course, that will screw up the aspect ratio on every other channel, so you'll have to change the aspect ratio back to "16x9" when you want to watch some other channel. Kind of a pain in the ass, but at least it works.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...