Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

322/512/522/625 - L5.84 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

New FW:

PID=0892h 
 DownloadID:CRXD
 Upgrading parts of new FW with filters:
 L584:'L100'-'L583'
 New FW:'L584'
 List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs and SN:
'1...'&'GA[C-HJ-LNPQST].':{DVR522}  R0056172873-R0060016989 R0070123227-R0070123227
'1...'&'GJ[A-HJ-NP-Z2-9].':{DVR625}  R0058090359-R0070958586 R0079258874-R0079258874 R0074499158-R0074499158
'1...'&'GN[E-HKLNPQST].':{DVR512}  R0056177958-R0059962114 R0068889843-R0068889843 R0066277633-R0066277633
'1...'&'GP[A-HL-NP-RX-Z2-8].':{DVR512}  R0056177958-R0059962114 R0069699794-R0069699794 R0070502332-R0070502332

[Oops, no DP322 in the version yet]

Edited by P Smith, 16 August 2013 - 09:45 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RHCP

RHCP

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:14 AM

I just got L584 on my 522 two days ago and it looks like EchoStar has broken a couple of things.

First, the behavior of the skip forward and skip back buttons has changed. They used to skip forward 30 seconds, skip back 7-10 seconds. Now, it's 1 minute forward, 20-30 seconds backward. Much less useful than before.

Second, they broke the connection between from events to timers. To see what I mean, press the 'MENU' button three times to bring up the 'Daily Schedule' screen, then use the up and down arrows to select an event. Press 'SELECT' to get to the 'Timer Event' screen that shows the time, channel number, program description, and other details for the event. So far, so good, but notice that the 'Timer' button on the right hand side of the screen is grayed out. So, you can skip or restore the event or change its options, but you can't select 'Timer' to get directly to the relevant 'Timer Schedule' screen. That means that if you want to delete the timer, edit it, or change its priority you have to go to the 'Timers List' screen and scroll around to find the relevant timer.

This bug also makes it much harder to resolve timer conflicts. It used to be easy to check if a conflicting event can be recorded later in the week, so it was easy to decide which of the conflicting events to skip and which to restore. Now it takes lots more button presses.

One other difference I noted: when using the browse banner, scrolling forward and backward in time is much slower than it used to be. It's possible this change was intentional, but personally I find it inconvenient.

(As an aside, I really wish Dish would offer an easy way for customers to file bug reports electronically. It would help them find problems and also send a message that they actually care about the quality of their software. Of course, I also wish Dish did a better job of testing ...)

#3 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:03 AM

I do appreciate the feedback and I have forward your thought s to my engineers about this issue.

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

Second, they broke the connection between from events to timers. To see what I mean, press the 'MENU' button three times to bring up the 'Daily Schedule' screen, then use the up and down arrows to select an event. Press 'SELECT' to get to the 'Timer Event' screen that shows the time, channel number, program description, and other details for the event. So far, so good, but notice that the 'Timer' button on the right hand side of the screen is grayed out. So, you can skip or restore the event or change its options, but you can't select 'Timer' to get directly to the relevant 'Timer Schedule' screen. That means that if you want to delete the timer, edit it, or change its priority you have to go to the 'Timers List' screen and scroll around to find the relevant timer.

This bug also makes it much harder to resolve timer conflicts. It used to be easy to check if a conflicting event can be recorded later in the week, so it was easy to decide which of the conflicting events to skip and which to restore. Now it takes lots more button presses.

I called about the event/timer problem and unfortunately the tech support person saw the same thing and was not able to assist. I don't recall she knew whether this change was part of the release notes.  Quite a disapointment.

#5 OFFLINE   RHCP

RHCP

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

The event/timer problem got fixed with L585, which downloaded to my 522 around ten days ago.

The skip forward/skip back got fixed with L586, which downloaded four or five days ago.

It's a real shame that Dish stopped making their release notes available. Of course, even when they were available they tended toward uselessness with entries like "timer bugs fixed" and "timeout behavior changed". Dish needs to realize that software is a large part of what sets them apart from cable and DirecTV and get their act together. These bugs make it clear that L584 didn't get proper regression testing, nor did it get competent beta testing. There's just no excuse for that. Heads ought to roll within Dish's software development organization, starting at the top.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,894 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

you forget (it's happen long time ago :( ) - we are (customers) beta and QA testers now - much cheap for dish

You can join us here http://www.dbstalk.c...ll-these-years/

Edited by P Smith, 16 August 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   RHCP

RHCP

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

Except that real beta testers are given a way to submit bug reports, and their bug reports are listened to.

Maybe I've been too tolerant of Dish over the years (since late 2001), but my experience with the 501 and 522 has been pretty good. The bugs (and shortcomings) have mostly been in pretty obscure areas. (Yes, I know that some of Dish's other receivers have had a lot more trouble, but I don't have direct experience with them.) On the other hand, these bugs in L584 show that it wasn't tested in any meaningful way. I found both bugs within minutes of turning my DVR on for the day. The fact that there's no good way for customers to report bugs like this just makes it more frustrating. That's why heads ought to roll at Dish/EchoStar.

Since Dish/EchoStar isn't listening I'll stop talking ...

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,894 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

at least the site have dedicated thread to share the bugs, like warning other users

as to the company .. they could listen and read here, duh

Protected By... spam firewall...And...