Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Powering D12 on 12V DC?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Hello,

I resently bought 2 D12-500 receivers at a yard sell (if they are leased I probably can't use them). However my plan was to remove the AC-DC power inverter board and run it off a 12V car or UPS battery should I want to watch TV if my power failed. I discovered upon opening the unit however the board runs on THREE different DC voltages. 12V at .6 A 1.1 A for a min (boot up likely), 6V 1 A and 3.3 V at 1.3 A. Now my question is do I need to get a power supply for EACH voltage? I.E 6V for the 6V, 4V for the 3.3 and straight 12V for the 12V? Or can I just run the 12V only?

Thanks guys!

Edited by xmguy, 28 May 2013 - 02:25 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,789 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

It would probably be much easier just to use a small DC to AC inverter. You could run a D12 and a small TV for a day or so off a car battery through an inverter. The bigger the TV, and the louder the volume is turned up, the more power you will draw (with the TV).  If you are just running the D12 (have some other way to power your TV), a D12 through an inverter would run for several days off a car sized battery.

Many people who tailgate have run HD receivers and/or DVRs and 40+ inch HD TV's through inverters off a car battery for 4 hours or so.

Of course, if this is something you plan to do on a recurring basis, invest in a good deep cycle battery and possibly a solar panel.

#3 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

I've got a power inverter, 140W model. Just thought 12V direct would be simplier. So it's not going from 12V DC to 120 V AC BACK to 12V DC again.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Those multi-voltage switching power supplies (like in most electronic devices today) are very complex and sometimes the different voltages are RELATED to one another similar to a multi-tap transformer.  Rather than blow up your receiver's motherboard it would be much easier (and safer) to follow Carl's advice and just feed the D12 from an inverter.  There are many inexpensive small ones designed to power laptops or electric razors.  One of those would be perfect.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

I've got a power inverter, 140W model. Just thought 12V direct would be simplier. So it's not going from 12V DC to 120 V AC BACK to 12V DC again.

you will need ALL of them; so three bricks [DC-DC] converter/chips - but, pay attention to D12's NOMINAL voltages and MAX current for the DC-DC  circuits

Edited by P Smith, 28 May 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Unless you own the D12 (paying money doesn't guarantee ownership), you're running a high risk of having to buy the receiver for full price down the line.  It is typically NOT worth the effort.

Inverters aren't particularly efficient but they allow you to take advantage of the protections built into the receiver's own power supply and they don't void any warranties or lease agreements.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall