Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Leaving DirecTv and considering 2 Hoppers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Joe1022

Joe1022

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

I apologize for asking something that's probably been covered. I have spent a lot of time in the DirecTv forums, but just recently really started paying attention to Dish again.

I have been debating between the Genie or the Hopper and after seeing the Hopper in action and its quick response time, I think it's the way to go. I record a lot of shows though and my current 4 tuner setup (2 tuner DVR x2) with Directv tends to not always be enough. Even though I think one Hopper would probably suffice most of the time, I'm thinking I'd like to go with 2 Hoppers... Just in case and because I always want more! :-)

So my question is, when using 2 Hoppers (no Joey's), how we'll do they communicate? I think I've confirmed that they can share recordings, but can they share tuners? Can I manage both Hoppers from one TV? And if not, are there any rumors (from good sources) that this will be possible In the not so distant future? And any other info you think I might need.

I'll keep checking through the forums but figured if someone could tell me here that would be awesome.

Thanks, everyone!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hi...

From either Hopper you can see and view recordings on the other Hopper.  You cannot, however, see or view recordings that are on an external hard drive unless that drive is connected directly to the Hopper that you are using.

That's pretty much the limit of communication between the Hoppers, except that they also will share internet connections as long as either one is connected to broadband (i.e. you only have to connect one of them).

I haven't seen or heard of any rumors that lead me to believe any further interconnection is coming any time soon between Hoppers.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

So my question is, when using 2 Hoppers (no Joey's), how we'll do they communicate? I think I've confirmed that they can share recordings, but can they share tuners? Can I manage both Hoppers from one TV? And if not, are there any rumors (from good sources) that this will be possible In the not so distant future? And any other info you think I might need.

I have two Hoppers and have them connected to the same TV and control them both there.  They are connected to different inputs on the TV though so need to have the TV remote handy and also need to have both Hopper remotes handy.  I don't expect we will ever see one Hopper/remote able to control a second Hopper.

I should add that it is rare that I need the second Hopper to cover what I want to watch/record but I can envision the times during football season when it could happen.  A second Hopper also gives me peace of mind that if one should fail, I won't be without TV for a few days waiting for a replacement to arrive.

Edited by Grandude, 29 May 2013 - 08:58 AM.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#4 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

I use a Joey connected to another HDMI input on my primary TV to control my other Hopper. $7 a month well spent.

#5 OFFLINE   Joe1022

Joe1022

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for all of the info and the good tips! I like those ideas about either having both Hoppers on one TV or adding a Joey to the main TV.

I wonder though, how easy/hard is managing the Hopper through the iPad app? Are you able to schedule/remove timers through the app?

#6 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

The Dish Explorer app and Dish Anywhere apps work great and are easy to use.

#7 OFFLINE   Joe1022

Joe1022

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Are there different models of the Hopper w/Sling? If there is a new one and an old one I wanna try to get the newest I can. I know with DirecTv it was hard to get a specific model # when calling, but I could verify with the installer before he came out.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

There is only the Hopper and the Hopper w/ Sling... so no worries there.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#9 OFFLINE   Joe1022

Joe1022

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Thanks again everyone. I made the change this weekend. I now have 2 Hoppers w/Sling. I'm really liking the setup so far. 

The first day they both went black for a few minutes at different times- one came back on it's own, the other after a reset. I'm hoping it's not an actual issue. I haven't seen it happen again.

Sorry for repeating info if anyone already saw my post in another thread.

Edited by Joe1022, 04 June 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

One other  "new" feature is that the "primetime recording feature" works all the time in that you can use just ONE tuner for ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX anytime, the  only caveat is that it only works if you record in HD but still great for those breaking news stories where you want to watch more than one channel or if you record soaps :)

Edited by komondor, 05 July 2013 - 09:24 AM.

spam firewall