Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV will sell HR 44s to Solid Signal and Weaknees - but not me

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
262 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

Three people? That is not 'many' in the context of this thread. 

Oh brother...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Amazon has the HR 44 for $199.00 through My Directv Store. Does anyone have any experience with this company or any thoughts on this potential purchase?
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#183 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

I'd avoid it. I have no experience with them, but I personally see several red flags.

1. Only 27 reviews, nothing before late April.

2. HR44 is too cheap

3. They don't sell other major items, like HR24s

4. One review claimed he got a box 35% cheaper than from DirecTV and didn't extend the contract. Unless they bought an AM21 or other non-leased equipment, I'm dubious about this review.

#184 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Many cable companies do not have an upfront lease fee, but simply increase the monthly rate and charge $20/month per DVR or $10 per box. This method could cost customers MORE in the long run, but they don't FEEL like they're being ripped off because they know they're leasing it.

So, you would be happier with DirecTV actually ripping you off with higher fees just so you don't feel ripped off.

LOL. You just defended the DirecTV method in a post where you decried people defending it?

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#185 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'd avoid it. I have no experience with them, but I personally see several red flags.

1. Only 27 reviews, nothing before late April.
2. HR44 is too cheap
3. They don't sell other major items, like HR24s
4. One review claimed he got a box 35% cheaper than from DirecTV and didn't extend the contract. Unless they bought an AM21 or other non-leased equipment, I'm dubious about this review.

Well, I took the chance and ordered it. Brand new HR44-500 arrived. Activated and up and running. :-)
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#186 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

That is good news! Thanks for letting us know.

#187 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Let's see. Your bedroom DVR failed in January. Had you contacted DirecTV then they would have replaced it for you. Instead, "you" chose to wait all this time for the HR44's release. On top of that you're complaining you now have to decide whether to purchase a HR44 from Solid Signal or gamble on getting one from DirecTV. I fail to see how you are the injured party.

Not to mention that both would be a lease so why wait?  Guess he wants it for free.  If he wanted the HR44 that bad he would of just sucked it up and went with Solid Signal.  Since he didnt do that, I dont think he wanted it as bad as he wanted to complain about it.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#188 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

So, you would be happier with DirecTV actually ripping you off with higher fees just so you don't feel ripped off.

LOL. You just defended the DirecTV method in a post where you decried people defending it?

No, I just defended PART of it.  The rental scheme of paying a chunk of money up front for a lower monthly rental fee saves money in the long term, with the amounts they're currently charging.

However, the fact they charge the same exact amount (both up front and monthly) for a brand new DVR vs. a six-year old DVR, combined with the fact there is no way to request a specific DVR, is what I have an issue with.  The up front fee simply draws more attention to how unfair that is.

I also have an issue with D* replacing a broken DVR with an *earlier* model when others are getting it replaced with a *later* model.

#189 OFFLINE   oldsalem

oldsalem

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

If I buy a DirecTV receiver for Solid or Weaknees, do I still pay Directv for monthly rental of HD and DVR service fees of $10 each?

#190 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

If I buy a DirecTV receiver for Solid or Weaknees, do I still pay Directv for monthly rental of HD and DVR service fees of $10 each?

Yes.

Perhaps I Misremembered.

#191 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,882 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

You would pay those fees even if you owned the receiver.  The lease fee will be labeled as an "additional receiver" and the DVR is required for DVRs.  However, there is only one DVR fee per account so if you already have a DVR you'll only have the additional receiver fee.  So yes, it will be a leased receiver and you will pay the fees.

Mike

• Diana C likes this

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#192 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,208 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Not only "Yes", but you won't own it.... You'd be paying an upfront partial lease cost, or something like that. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#193 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

If I buy lease a DirecTV receiver for Solid or Weaknees, do I still pay Directv for monthly rental of HD and DVR service fees of $10 each?

Fixed it for you...you dont own the receivers you get from Solid Signal or weaknees, they are leased.

#194 OFFLINE   bryanb963

bryanb963

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

If you sign up for new service and the installer arrives with older hardware, can't you just cancell the install on the spot?

#195 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

If you sign up for new service and the installer arrives with older hardware, can't you just cancell the install on the spot?

Yes, although in most cases the installer will call you before they show up. Ask if the hardware you want will be included in the install. If the answer is no, cancel the install over the phone.

#196 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

It's pretty hypocritical of DirecTV to advertise that cable companies install refurbished equipment, in one of those "real people complaint" commercials when DirecTV does the exact same thing.

#197 OFFLINE   mklausing

mklausing

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Okay folks, here is a simple question that I cannot seem to get an answer to. If I buy the new DTV H44 unit, will Directv still bill me $25 monthly receiver rental fee? I know that I will pay a monthly DVR fee of $10.00 no matter what receiver unit I have. Thanks in advance.

#198 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,909 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

Okay folks, here is a simple question that I cannot seem to get an answer to. If I buy the new DTV H44 unit, will Directv still bill me $25 monthly receiver rental fee? I know that I will pay a monthly DVR fee of $10.00 no matter what receiver unit I have. Thanks in advance.

You will pay:

1. Basic fee for whatever programming package you have.

2. Advanced receiver fee, which includes HD, DVR and Whole-Home. That's the $25 fee. It applies once per account (not per DVR or receiver).

3. $6 per month for the second and subsequent receivers/DVRs/clients you have.

#199 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

There is no such thing as a $25 monthly receiver rental fee.  Receivers cost $6 per month, regardless of what receiver you have.  The $6 for the first receiver on your account is credited back on your bill.  For existing customers there are fees for HD, DVR Service and Whole Home DVR service ($10, $10 and $3 respectively).  For new customers, there is a $25 Advanced Receiver fee, which includes HD, DVR and Whole Home.

Aside from all of that, when you acquire a new HR44 from a dealer, you are not purchasing it.  You do not own it.  You are paying the up-front acquisition fee.  This is the same fee that DirecTV charges.  However, DirecTV may charge more or less than a retailer does.  DirecTV may even waive that fee entirely.  The only thing that you are "buying" when you acquire an HR44 from a dealer is the guarantee that you will receive an HR44.  When you get a Genie from DirecTV, you are taking the chance that you will be given an HR34 and may have to delay installations until a tech shows up with an HR44.

#200 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

It's pretty hypocritical of DirecTV to advertise that cable companies install refurbished equipment, in one of those "real people complaint" commercials when DirecTV does the exact same thing.

I agree, although I don't see that often, and when I did see that kind of ad, their point was the age of the hardware, and they are right.  Most the cable companies hardware is 3 times older than an HR20 im my neighborhood.  its really patheitc

Protected By... spam firewall...And...