Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV will sell HR 44s to Solid Signal and Weaknees - but not me

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
262 replies to this topic

#251 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 263 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

I'm joining this conversation way-late so I'll apologize if this has been covered already in one of the other pages.

I'm coming due for a contract renewal, and I plan on trying to renegotiate my equipment. I've been quite happy with my H25s - they are small and generally speedy. My HR34 has been OK, however the remote lag and the form factor leave much to be desired.

I was thinking about trying to swing an upgrade to the HR44. After reading through some of the pages, I realize "a genie is a genie" in DirecTV's eyes, so my question is this:

If I pay for the unit through Solid Signal or one of the other retailers (assuming I can get DirecTV to agree to cover it) and the unit dies within a couple months, am I going to get stuck with an HR34, or should I be able to expect an HR44 to replace the one that died? It was mentioned that the protection plan covers this sort of thing, but I'm not interested in adding another monthly charge for a trouble-free installation if it's not going to help "secure" certain equipment replacement policies.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#252 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

I'm joining this conversation way-late so I'll apologize if this has been covered already in one of the other pages.

I'm coming due for a contract renewal, and I plan on trying to renegotiate my equipment. I've been quite happy with my H25s - they are small and generally speedy. My HR34 has been OK, however the remote lag and the form factor leave much to be desired.

I was thinking about trying to swing an upgrade to the HR44. After reading through some of the pages, I realize "a genie is a genie" in DirecTV's eyes, so my question is this:

If I pay for the unit through Solid Signal or one of the other retailers (assuming I can get DirecTV to agree to cover it) and the unit dies within a couple months, am I going to get stuck with an HR34, or should I be able to expect an HR44 to replace the one that died? It was mentioned that the protection plan covers this sort of thing, but I'm not interested in adding another monthly charge for a trouble-free installation if it's not going to help "secure" certain equipment replacement policies.

You would be back in the same boat.

#253 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,285 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

It's been stated that the policy on HR44, H25 is that like is replaced with like. Recently someone had an HR21 replaced, and either by policy or pure luck (or unluck) was shipped an HR21. However I have never seen anything official from DirecTV stating this.

#254 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

It's been stated that the policy on HR44, H25 is that like is replaced with like. Recently someone had an HR21 replaced, and either by policy or pure luck (or unluck) was shipped an HR21. However I have never seen anything official from DirecTV stating this.

I had an HR44 replaced by an HR34. The tech that came out said all Genie's are the same. I couldn't take the slowness of the HR34 so I purchased an HR44-500 to replace the HR34. Good thing DirecTV gave me credit for it. 

#255 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,767 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Well, as someone who will be a new DirecTV customer (actually, returning - I had DTV from 1995 until 2009, when I switched to Dish when we moved and DTV did not carry the local networks in HD and Dish did) - and someone who is pretty analytical (my wife would say leave off the "ytical" and just call me anal! LOL!) about my electronics, and as someone turning down an offer of an upgrade of Hopper/w Sling + Hopper + Joey from Dish to move to Directv, I do NOT want an older generation product for the core of our whole house system. I.e. I don't want to give up Dish (which I have been very happy with, overall, I just need ST to watch my out of market team and can't get it this year for the first time in the last 3 years without DTV) and be given a first gen receiver, especially as it is the core of my whole house system (3 TVs) when a second gen is better and out there.

So for me, the 34 is not a viable option - so I'm looking for strategies, short of paying $300 for the privilege of becoming a new DTV customer when they are bombarding me with calls and mail to "Come back to Directv!" to get a 44.

:)

And what is going to happen when the "HR54" comes out?  Dont know what is so special about the 44

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#256 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,285 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

I had an HR44 replaced by an HR34. The tech that came out said all Genie's are the same. I couldn't take the slowness of the HR34 so I purchased an HR44-500 to replace the HR34. Good thing DirecTV gave me credit for it.

I should have specified that the supposed policy is shipped receivers only, not when there's a truck roll

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#257 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:29 AM

I should have specified that the supposed policy is shipped receivers only, not when there's a truck roll

I am not sure if it is because I have the "Protection Plan" DirecTV always does a truck roll instead of shipping me receiver. I had an H25 replaced with another H25. The truck rolls are surprisingly fast - I can get appointments the following day. Since, I have H25-100, HR24-500, HR44-500 I would prefer they ship me receivers so I can get the same model. So far the only issues I had with HR34 & HR44 was hard drive failure!!!

#258 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 263 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

And what is going to happen when the "HR54" comes out?  Dont know what is so special about the 44

For me it's not the "latest and greatest" but more so the smaller form factor. The HR34 is an absolute beast of a receiver and takes up a lot of room on my entertainment stand. I could clean things up a bit with a smaller receiver.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#259 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,767 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

For me it's not the "latest and greatest" but more so the smaller form factor. The HR34 is an absolute beast of a receiver and takes up a lot of room on my entertainment stand. I could clean things up a bit with a smaller receiver.

so if the HR54 were to come out with say, 8 tuners and some other features perhaps snappier then the 44 but was the size of the 34, you would not get it even tho, let's assume you get it for free?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#260 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,152 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

so if the HR54 were to come out with say, 8 tuners and some other features perhaps snappier then the 44 but was the size of the 34, you would not get it even tho, let's assume you get it for free?

That would be worth an upgrade, over the HR34.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#261 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,767 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

That would be worth an upgrade, over the HR34.

You cut the line too quickly....

Read my quoted post 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#262 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,152 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:51 AM

I read your post just fine.
If Directv came out with an 8 tuner Genie, I would then upgrade my HR34 to it , I don't care if it's bigger.
That would be worth a Free or even $200 upgrade with a commitment.

The HR44 is not worth that over a 34.
Only the Die hard, can't be told anything directv fans think it's worth paying $200 and signing a 24 month addtional commitment on something that's only a little faster to respond, and is smaller.
Most people are not going to do an upgrade like that.
Myself included.
If you have to start paying addtional money for better equipment during your current contract , than that's a big minus for directv cost wise and operation wise as a company.
So figure that into your bottom line.

Right now, when my contact expires if Directv wants me to stay and sign again, then yes I will demand the HR44, and my HR23 upgraded to HR24.

But I'm not dropping a dime on it.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#263 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 37,029 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

Folks, this thread seems to have served its purpose. If you'd like to start new threads discussing your particular situation, please feel free.
  • damondlt and Laxguy like this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...