Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV will sell HR 44s to Solid Signal and Weaknees - but not me

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
262 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

Maybe not, but also a favorite of yours it seems.

Knowing "what we do", how long will it be before the 44 falls into your "DVR sluggishness and the repeating cycle of screwed up updates."?

That would be up to DirecTV engineering.

You seem to be one of the more level thinking straight shooters around here.  If you don't think the number of updates sent out over the last 4 or 5 months is unusual maybe I am just to picky.  If you don't think the HR24s were faster and more responsive when I paid $600 than they are now maybe I am just to picky.  If you can compare the 'speed' of DirecTV receivers to ANY Dish Network receivers and not see the difference then I am just to picky.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

For 90% or more of DirecTV's customers there is no functional difference between the HR34 and HR44. For those who absolutely, positively must have a HR44 (for whatever reason) there is always the independant reseller channel. If your HR44 fails, you can get another from, say, Solid Signal (at least until there is a HR45 or some other, latest, greatest thing that some people will just HAVE to have).

However, to say DirecTV is responsible for providing a replacement with the same form factor as the original is as unreasonable as saying that Whirlpool is responsible for providing a replacement microwave oven with same form factor as the unit you built into your kitchen previously.

Reading here the HR44 is the fasting thing around.  If 90% of DirecTV's customers wouldn't notice the downgrade from a 44 to 34 then I am too picky.

I am not willing to pay $349 for an HR44 from SS with what essentially equates to an as-is purchase.  If it fails in 3 months (or two days for that matter) I should have to pay another $349 and another 2 year commitment?  That doesn't sound reasonable to me, and I suspect 99.99% of everyone else.  I can a buy a $19 toaster and get a better warranty than that.

Of course Whirlpool is going to replace my microwave with the same size - at least for a reasonable amount of time.  10 years later they likely still will not because they have to but because they want to sell me a new microwave.  3 weeks after my microwave is installed they are not going to make me remodel my kitchen or use a counter top microwave just because 'there is no functional difference'.

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

You seem to be one of the more level thinking straight shooters around here.  If you don't think the number of updates sent out over the last 4 or 5 months is unusual maybe I am just to picky.  If you don't think the HR24s were faster and more responsive when I paid $600 than they are now maybe I am just to picky.  If you can compare the 'speed' of DirecTV receivers to ANY Dish Network receivers and not see the difference then I am just to picky.

I do try to shoot straight.

I haven't counted the updates of late. "I'd guess" there are more in them for compatibility with other products these days, than we had in the old days.

You can I have been back and forth over the 24s before, and if I hadn't been using this HR24-100 of late, I'd have no idea how much it differs from the two HR24-500s I had.

I don't care about Dish, just like I don't care about U-Verse, or comcrap.

If any of these were "the standard" for what I wanted, it would make sense to use their service, wouldn't it?

A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,778 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

The bottom line is companies have policies that sometimes lead to customer dissatisfaction. I have Verizon cell phones, despite the fact that Verizon has some of the most consumer hostile policies in the industry. Why? Because they have the best network, and being able to make a call when I need to is the most important factor, to me. By the same token, there are some policies of DirecTV's that I am not totally pleased with, and which I wish were more like Dish Network's. However, I have been a Dish customer in the past and I prefer DirecTV because they seem to me to pay more attention to infrastructure (my opinion only - I don't want this to become a Dish vs. DirecTV discussion).

Several years ago, my therapist told me "we are all responsible for our own happiness." While the context was far more serious than selecting TV service, it is a good axiom for all aspects of life. Getting angry and ranting about the same issues over and over is not productive. We need to pick the best options available for us and then move on. If something more appealing comes along, we should switch. Life is too short, and full of REAL issues and obstacles to spend anytime at all getting upset over what model DVR one can or can not buy.
  • joe58 and sweep49 like this

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#25 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

That would be up to DirecTV engineering.

The speed and responsiveness of my HR24-500 remained the same the two years I used it. Looking back, prior to getting my HR34-700 the HR24-500 was the most reliable of all the HD DVR's I've had. I've never witnessed a side by side speed comparison between DirecTV and DISH receivers. Given that I'll take your statement that DISH receivers are faster with a grain of salt.  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#26 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

The HR34 and the HR44 are NOT equal and anyone other than the ‘Great DirecTV Defenders’ will acknowledge that.

I was simply posting DirecTVs policy, not defending it. There are a great many things I do not agree with as a consumer (and this certainly is not limited to DirecTV).  Fact of the matter is, businesses listen to the consumer through the bottom line. If this particular policy was "that big a deal" to "that many customers", it would change.

#27 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

I like D and will not change. What I don't like is the fact that D sez that the HR34 and HR44 are the same and the HR44 is not an upgrade. They are not the same, in my opinion.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#28 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

I do try to shoot straight.

I haven't counted the updates of late. "I'd guess" there are more in them for compatibility with other products these days, than we had in the old days.

You can I have been back and forth over the 24s before, and if I hadn't been using this HR24-100 of late, I'd have no idea how much it differs from the two HR24-500s I had.

I don't care about Dish, just like I don't care about U-Verse, or comcrap.

If any of these were "the standard" for what I wanted, it would make sense to use their service, wouldn't it?

I haven't counted the updates either but there is no doubt there have been multiple updates that don't even make through to everyone before an update to the update is released.

I've only had HR24-500s - is the -100 quicker/slower more/less troubles?

I don't really care about Dish either but I do know how much quicker ALL of their HD DVRs are over DirecTV's DVRS.  Maybe the HR44 will finally compete speed wise but I haven't seen one.

You wouldn't be able to use Dish if you wanted Sunday Ticket.

#29 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

The bottom line is companies have policies that sometimes lead to customer dissatisfaction. I have Verizon cell phones, despite the fact that Verizon has some of the most consumer hostile policies in the industry. Why? Because they have the best network, and being able to make a call when I need to is the most important factor, to me. By the same token, there are some policies of DirecTV's that I am not totally pleased with, and which I wish were more like Dish Network's. However, I have been a Dish customer in the past and I prefer DirecTV because they seem to me to pay more attention to infrastructure (my opinion only - I don't want this to become a Dish vs. DirecTV discussion).

Several years ago, my therapist told me "we are all responsible for our own happiness." While the context was far more serious than selecting TV service, it is a good axiom for all aspects of life. Getting angry and ranting about the same issues over and over is not productive. We need to pick the best options available for us and then move on. If something more appealing comes along, we should switch. Life is too short, and full of REAL issues and obstacles to spend anytime at all getting upset over what model DVR one can or can not buy.

I agree with all of this.  

One thing I want to make clear is that none of this makes me happy/sad etc.  It is TV service and if it completely went away today I would be just fine.  Its not like any of this stuff really matters in life.  It is entertainment - note heart medicine, child birth, or growing old.  It is just TV.

The facts remain - the policy of 'You get what you get' with DirecTV is stupid.  I don't like it but it won't change.  I only post about it because not everyone knows how it works.

#30 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

The speed and responsiveness of my HR24-500 remained the same the two years I used it. Looking back, prior to getting my HR34-700 the HR24-500 was the most reliable of all the HD DVR's I've had. I've never witnessed a side by side speed comparison between DirecTV and DISH receivers. Given that I'll take your statement that DISH receivers are faster with a grain of salt.  

I don't doubt that you didn't or haven't noticed any change but I and many many others as posted here through the cycles of updates have noticed and continued to notice the speed and response changes with many of the updates.  If there was to go back to pre-HDGUI versions and stay there you would see far fewer people posting here about troubles with their receivers not responding or being slow.. Including me.

Take my comments about Dish HD DVRs with a grain of salt - that doesn't change the fact that Dish Network HD DRVs are much quicker than DirecTV's with the possible exception of the HR44.  I've all the others first hand - just not the HR44.

#31 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

I was simply posting DirecTVs policy, not defending it. There are a great many things I do not agree with as a consumer (and this certainly is not limited to DirecTV).  Fact of the matter is, businesses listen to the consumer through the bottom line. If this particular policy was "that big a deal" to "that many customers", it would change.

Sorry - I wasn't referring to you specifically.

And you are correct.  It would change if enough people canceled over it.  Truth is most people don't know what the policy is or even care about it.  I suspect it is a small percentage of people that ever have to deal with it.  Hell, the majority of DirecTV customers think they own their receivers! 

#32 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

I haven't counted the updates either but there is no doubt there have been multiple updates that don't even make through to everyone before an update to the update is released.

I've only had HR24-500s - is the -100 quicker/slower more/less troubles?

I don't really care about Dish either but I do know how much quicker ALL of their HD DVRs are over DirecTV's DVRS.  Maybe the HR44 will finally compete speed wise but I haven't seen one.

You wouldn't be able to use Dish if you wanted Sunday Ticket.

Mike, my HR24-100s are almost as fast as my sons H21.
Having said that, note that I do not make use or have Whole Home DVR, nor am I connected to the internet in any fashion.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#33 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,846 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

IMO, regarding the "Get what you get" policy, DirecTV should implement the simple guidelines of...

a.) If you're getting a free discounted receiver, then you get whatever is available.

b.) If you're wanting a specific model, then you pay the normal amount.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#34 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Sorry - I wasn't referring to you specifically.

And you are correct.  It would change if enough people canceled over it.  Truth is most people don't know what the policy is or even care about it.  I suspect it is a small percentage of people that ever have to deal with it.  Hell, the majority of DirecTV customers think they own their receivers! 

You do realize that we here on DBSTalk represent a very small percentage of DirecTV's customers and are far more tech savvy than the vast majority of DirecTV's customers. Given that, it's safe to assume that vast majority of DirecTV customers have no idea there are various versions of their receivers and therefore would never think of threatening to cancel their service if they don't get the latest equipment.  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#35 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

IMO, regarding the "Get what you get" policy, DirecTV should implement the simple guidelines of...

a.) If you're getting a free discounted receiver, then you get whatever is available.

+1
Also:
c.) If you are getting a replacement it should be as new as the one being replaced.

I have written this to DirecTV in the past.
I just had an HR23-700 replaced with an HR24-100 and it made me very happy to get it. I was definitely pleasantly surprised.

Edited by jimmie57, 29 May 2013 - 10:13 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#36 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

We understand the frustration that customers have with ordering from DIRECTV. As you say, their systems don't distinguish between models, and that's one of the reasons we are here, to give choosy customers the equipment they want.

I don't want to cross the line into this becoming an advertisement for Solid Signal, but I am happy to answer any questions about our processes and how we can help members of this site. We watch this site carefully and respond as quickly as possible to private messages.

Thanks,

Solid Signal.

#37 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Mike, my HR24-100s are almost as fast as my sons H21.
Having said that, note that I do not make use or have Whole Home DVR, nor am I connected to the internet in any fashion.

That's a good point when it comes to speed.  My HR24-500s are much more responsive if I disable the network by plugging an Ethernet switch and then booting up.  This essentially removes Whole-Home and the Internet.  Trouble is I need/want Whole Home...

#38 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

That would be a great way to deal with it.  As long as they can't/don't downgrade you if what you paid for fails...

#39 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

You do realize that we here on DBSTalk represent a very small percentage of DirecTV's customers and are far more tech savvy than the vast majority of DirecTV's customers. Given that, it's safe to assume that vast majority of DirecTV customers have no idea there are various versions of their receivers and therefore would never think of threatening to cancel their service if they don't get the latest equipment.  

Yep - I realize that.  That's why I don't think it will ever change.

#40 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

My reply: Ahh, baloney. The air must be a little thin up on your high horse. DTV has a lousy policy and I have been led for months to think that it was going to change. The HR 21s and 22s are pretty much interchangeable but the 34 and 44 are not. I was told they would allow a customer to order a 44 specifically and now that is not true. "Call back right after Memorial Day, we'll have them." They probably do but they won't sell one to me.

Further, it is pretty clear that DTV views their relationship with SS and WK as somehow "special," that they value them more as a customer than me. The one thing, the ONLY thing that keeps me with DTV is ST and now that my team has gained in prominence, I may not even need that any more.

One of my favorite sayings is: "Any time someone says, 'It ain't the money, it's the principle' it's money. It's always the money." Not always true. I don't like getting treated like a second class customer, not when I have been with DTV for a long time, never switched and jumped, never had DTV pay a dime of my install, bought all my equipment including dishes. I pay my bill on time, $160/month and add in ST an I'm over $2,200 to DTV just for subs. One would think that would buy me a little consideration, go take a little box of the shelf and FedEx it to me, I'll do the rest. Instead,  they gently suggest I spend my money with some other company so they can get a little taste, too. I have iPhones but maybe I should grease a couple hundred to Android just to keep them happy.

Edited by FarNorth, 29 May 2013 - 11:00 AM.

spam firewall