Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV will sell HR 44s to Solid Signal and Weaknees - but not me

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
262 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bananfish

bananfish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

I realize that some of the board veterans hate threads like this because they get tired of hearing complaints about DirecTV policies that seem set in stone.  But complaining, and complaining loudly, is one of the tools that consumers have to get policies changed.  Perhaps not as effective a tool as walking out to DishTV or another vendor, but still an arrow in the quiver.

So I, for one, love that this thread exists.  Contributing this post to this thread is one of the ways that I have to communicate what I am dissatisfied with to DirecTV.

I despise DirecTV's "no difference to see here, move along" policy.  And I despise DirecTV's "every customer for himself" way of doing business that requires that I play CSR roulette to get a fair deal whenever I want anything.  I have had a broken DVR in my bedroom since January, and have been waiting now for almost 5 months for the HR44 to be available to replace it.  The fact that I am faced with the decision to either pay $399 to Solid Signal or play Price Roulette with whatever CSR I can talk into whatever deal I can and then play Genie Roulette with whatever installer I get just infuriates me.

If DirecTV did not have those policies, it would have my undying loyalty, but as it is, I feel absolutely no loyalty toward DirecTV and would walk to a better deal in a heartbeat.  I like the TV service, I like the offerings and I like Season Ticket, but I despise those policies.

Rather than wish that this thread would just go away, as some seem to be in favor of, I wish this thread was 1000 pages long with lots of customers angry and dispirited from DirecTV's nonsensical policies.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

I realize that some of the board veterans hate threads like this because they get tired of hearing complaints about DirecTV policies that seem set in stone.  But complaining, and complaining loudly, is one of the tools that consumers have to get policies changed.  Perhaps not as effective a tool as walking out to DishTV or another vendor, but still an arrow in the quiver.

So I, for one, love that this thread exists.  Contributing this post to this thread is one of the ways that I have to communicate what I am dissatisfied with to DirecTV.

I despise DirecTV's "no difference to see here, move along" policy.  And I despise DirecTV's "every customer for himself" way of doing business that requires that I play CSR roulette to get a fair deal whenever I want anything.  I have had a broken DVR in my bedroom since January, and have been waiting now for almost 5 months for the HR44 to be available to replace it.  The fact that I am faced with the decision to either pay $399 to Solid Signal or play Price Roulette with whatever CSR I can talk into whatever deal I can and then play Genie Roulette with whatever installer I get just infuriates me.

If DirecTV did not have those policies, it would have my undying loyalty, but as it is, I feel absolutely no loyalty toward DirecTV and would walk to a better deal in a heartbeat.  I like the TV service, I like the offerings and I like Season Ticket, but I despise those policies.

Rather than wish that this thread would just go away, as some seem to be in favor of, I wish this thread was 1000 pages long with lots of customers angry and dispirited from DirecTV's nonsensical policies.

Well said.

#43 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,702 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

I've only had HR24-500s - is the -100 quicker/slower more/less troubles?

I don't really care about Dish either but I do know how much quicker ALL of their HD DVRs are over DirecTV's DVRS.  Maybe the HR44 will finally compete speed wise but I haven't seen one.

You wouldn't be able to use Dish if you wanted Sunday Ticket.

This is sort of the problem we all have here. We only know what "we have",

I had two HR24-500s coax connected and they were fine and faster that what I have before.

I'm now using a HR24-100 and "this one" is a snail at times. 

A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

So, you want freebies to be handed to you with zero effort and don't want to ask for them? Do you pay sticker price for cars, too, and expect a dealer to give you discounts?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#45 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

If your HR44 fails, you can get another from, say, Solid Signal (at least until there is a HR45 or some other, latest, greatest thing that some people will just HAVE to have).

However, to say DirecTV is responsible for providing a replacement with the same form factor as the original is as unreasonable as saying that Whirlpool is responsible for providing a replacement microwave oven with same form factor as the unit you built into your kitchen previously.

I think the average customer would complain if they paid for a new microwave and a warranty, took it home and had it die a few weeks later.  They'd complain very loudly if after returning it for a full refund, they were told that they were tied to a 2-year contract for that microwave.  They'd really yell if the store then gave them as a replacement for that 2013 microwave a 1980 model.  In fact, I'd suspect that the warranty would be deemed fraudulent in a court of law.

Bottom line is this: DirecTV took a couple billion of their customers money and handed it to the NFL to make sure that those customers would have no choice but to accept whatever garbage DirecTV decided to hand out.  This is why their DVRs continue to fail to perform at acceptable speeds, why they claim "model number ignorance" and so many other anti-customer things.  They have you by sensitive parts of the anatomy, and they are acting that way.

#46 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

I think the average customer would complain if they paid for a new microwave and a warranty, took it home and had it die a few weeks later.  They'd complain very loudly if after returning it for a full refund, they were told that they were tied to a 2-year contract for that microwave.  They'd really yell if the store then gave them as a replacement for that 2013 microwave a 1980 model.  In fact, I'd suspect that the warranty would be deemed fraudulent in a court of law.

Bottom line is this: DirecTV took a couple billion of their customers money and handed it to the NFL to make sure that those customers would have no choice but to accept whatever garbage DirecTV decided to hand out.  This is why their DVRs continue to fail to perform at acceptable speeds, why they claim "model number ignorance" and so many other anti-customer things.  They have you by sensitive parts of the anatomy, and they are acting that way.

Your microwave example is absurd and nowhere near the same. You don't lease a microwave or agree to contract committing you to a period of time.

As for ST, commercial accounts are a massive portion of ST costs. Do you realize how much a decent size sports bar pays for ST? DirecTV also has only about 2 million ST subscribers, so they'd still thrive with 18 million subs if every ST dependent sub left.

• MysteryMan likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#47 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Let's see. Your bedroom DVR failed in January. Had you contacted DirecTV then they would have replaced it for you. Instead, "you" chose to wait all this time for the HR44's release. On top of that you're complaining you now have to decide whether to purchase a HR44 from Solid Signal or gamble on getting one from DirecTV. I fail to see how you are the injured party.

• joe58 likes this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#48 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,686 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

And both satellite providers have the same policy, no guarantee within class. And last time I had cable (admittedly a long time ago), you got whatever they gave you, which could be ancient.

#49 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

And both satellite providers have the same policy, no guarantee within class. And last time I had cable (admittedly a long time ago), you got whatever they gave you, which could be ancient.

That is semi-true with Comcast in my area...  But...  at least here Comcast will swap boxes with you for no charge.  Years ago I wanted the 'new' Motorola box and I just took my old one down to their office...  Took all of about 10 minutes and drive time to get the latest and greatest then.  The girl asked me why I wanted to swap and I told her I wanted the newer box.  She said oh, ok and swapped them out.

With Dish it is less of an issue... or at least it was because for about the same price as DirecTV leases their receivers I bought and owned Dish Network receivers (still have them in the basement somewhere).

Edited by Mike Greer, 29 May 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

Two comments here. First, as a mod I have to remind those assembled that it's ok to express a differing opinion but let's remember that no one likes to feel attacked. Please keep it civil. 

Now as to the lease model... I understand that to the average consumer a DVR is an appliance and if any of your other appliances broke you would not expect to be treated this way. The difference is that DIRECTV hardware is heavily subsidized. You get a lot of things for free or below cost when you sign that commitment. Your relationship with the microwave's manufacturer ends when you buy the microwave, and the price you pay is a fair profit for all involved. With DIRECTV (or DISH) hardware, you get a lot of equipment and a lot of labor for free and the costs are tied into the service you pay for. 

I personally don't like this model. I'd rather pay cash for my satellite system, cash for my phone, cash for everything rather than get put into a subsidized deal. But, I don't have a choice. I've been told that in certain cases DIRECTV does make higher-risk customers pay more for their hardware, but they still have to sign a commitment. If I paid cash for my phone, I'd still have the same monthly bill, even though I'm not subsidizing free hardware. 

As for the matter of dealing with licensed third parties, I think it's great that there are options out there so you can get what you want.

DIRECTV is hardly alone in providing a pool of equipment from different manufacturers; most providers are small enough that a single manufacturer covers all needs, but even so... if I went to my local Time Warner Cable I would have no choice whether I got a 5-year-old Motorola POS DVR or the latest new hotness. Of course, saying "everyone else does it" isn't an excuse, but perhaps everyone does it because the overarching majority simply don't care what manufacturer or model they get. 

• joe58 likes this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#51 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Two comments here. First, as a mod I have to remind those assembled that it's ok to express a differing opinion but let's remember that no one likes to feel attacked. Please keep it civil. 

Now as to the lease model... I understand that to the average consumer a DVR is an appliance and if any of your other appliances broke you would not expect to be treated this way. The difference is that DIRECTV hardware is heavily subsidized. You get a lot of things for free or below cost when you sign that commitment. Your relationship with the microwave's manufacturer ends when you buy the microwave, and the price you pay is a fair profit for all involved. With DIRECTV (or DISH) hardware, you get a lot of equipment and a lot of labor for free and the costs are tied into the service you pay for. 

I personally don't like this model. I'd rather pay cash for my satellite system, cash for my phone, cash for everything rather than get put into a subsidized deal. But, I don't have a choice. I've been told that in certain cases DIRECTV does make higher-risk customers pay more for their hardware, but they still have to sign a commitment. If I paid cash for my phone, I'd still have the same monthly bill, even though I'm not subsidizing free hardware. 

As for the matter of dealing with licensed third parties, I think it's great that there are options out there so you can get what you want.

DIRECTV is hardly alone in providing a pool of equipment from different manufacturers; most providers are small enough that a single manufacturer covers all needs, but even so... if I went to my local Time Warner Cable I would have no choice whether I got a 5-year-old Motorola POS DVR or the latest new hotness. Of course, saying "everyone else does it" isn't an excuse, but perhaps everyone does it because the overarching majority simply don't care what manufacturer or model they get. 

Do you know the actual cost to Directv for an hd dvr or a Genie? I'm thinking when the customer pays an up front fee of $199 for an hd dvr, they have paid most of the cost to Directv for it. I'm sure the same goes for the Genie.

#52 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Should I reschedule for the Genie upgrade or hope the tech shows up with the 44 as I'm in the Chicago DMA? install date is for tomorrow morning. I want to cover all my options for people that have upgraded to the 44 from the HR34.

Edited by acostapimps, 29 May 2013 - 03:14 PM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#53 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

A couple of pertinent notes. A few years ago, I paid $919 for an HR-250. A few years after that, I threw it in the dumpster along with all the other MPEG 2 hardware I had acquired because DTV decided to switch to MPEG 4.

As for the HR44, I didn't ask for a deal, wasn't trying to get something for nothing. I expected to pay $100 as an upgrade fee along with freight charges to return the old HR 22-100 that they shipped me in February.

With all due respect to SS, I would prefer to deal directly with DTV. If something goes wrong, I want to call one source. I don't want to call a different vendor every time something goes wrong. "Let me have the serial number, if it is the memory, you'll have to contact Pace. If it is the hard drive, Western Digital. If it is software related, we might be able to help you, I'll have to ask. Can I put you on hold?"

#54 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Do you know the actual cost to Directv for an hd dvr or a Genie? I'm thinking when the customer pays an up front fee of $199 for an hd dvr, they have paid most of the cost to Directv for it. I'm sure the same goes for the Genie.

I don't know the exact component costs but between hardware and software development it would greatly surprise me if the cost to DIRECTV was anywhere near as low as that. At one point, several years ago I was told it cost about $700 to build an HR20, just parts and not counting software development. I'd think it's come down from that somewhat but HR44s have more tuners, bigger drives, faster chips, better engineering, etc. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#55 OFFLINE   bananfish

bananfish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

So, you want freebies to be handed to you with zero effort and don't want to ask for them? Do you pay sticker price for cars, too, and expect a dealer to give you discounts?

I never asked for a freebie ... would be willing to pay some premium for the box I want.

As far as your car analogy, it's a perfect one - I hate car shopping too, and so does every single person I know.  I similarly feel absolutely no loyalty whatsoever to any car company.  I just bought a new car a week and a half ago, and despite my best efforts to make it a smooth and easy process with a fair profit for the dealer, the dealer lied baldfacedly to me about two different things, dragged out the process, infuriated me, and then gave me the price that I came in with (which I had gotten through my insurance company's pricing service).  I will never buy a car from the same dealer again, and will recommend that my friends do not shop there either.

#56 OFFLINE   bananfish

bananfish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Let's see. Your bedroom DVR failed in January. Had you contacted DirecTV then they would have replaced it for you. Instead, "you" chose to wait all this time for the HR44's release. On top of that you're complaining you now have to decide whether to purchase a HR44 from Solid Signal or gamble on getting one from DirecTV. I fail to see how you are the injured party.

Never said I was injured.  Said I hated a few of DirecTV's policies - said I liked their TV services and offerings as well.

Edited by bananfish, 29 May 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

I don't know the exact component costs but between hardware and software development it would greatly surprise me if the cost to DIRECTV was anywhere near as low as that. At one point, several years ago I was told it cost about $700 to build an HR20, just parts and not counting software development. I'd think it's come down from that somewhat but HR44s have more tuners, bigger drives, faster chips, better engineering, etc. 

It's not directly comparable, but a decent CPU can be had for $500 with pretty much the same components except the tuners. That's to buy, not the cost.

#58 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,799 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

It's not directly comparable, but a decent CPU can be had for $500 with pretty much the same components except the tuners. That's to buy, not the cost.

PCs are manufactured from VERY high volume components. The economy of scale factors are very different. DirecTV DVRs are effectively custom built (volumes in the 10s to low 100s of thousands per model). PCs are manufactured in high 100s of thousands per model, from commodity components.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#59 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

I never asked for a freebie ... would be willing to pay some premium for the box I want.

and just enlighten me, why you get to choose the price for something that is not yours.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#60 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,799 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

My reply: Ahh, baloney. The air must be a little thin up on your high horse...

I don't own a horse, high or otherwise. I have just been in truly desperate circumstances and had to make life altering decisions that caused enormous pain to myself and those I care about. So, I may have a somewhat different perspective on life's priorities. I wish you to be so blessed in your life that having to worry about whether you can specifically order a particular model of DVR is a high priority. I hope you can appreciate how lucky you are.
  • joe58 likes this

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

spam firewall