Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Changing new dish for international channels

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   leechuck

leechuck

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

I want to switch the mandarin direct package to Cantonese package, but I need a different dish since those stations aren't listed on the programming guide.

How much will direct tv charge for changing the dish?

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

When you subscribe to the channel package, the cost of the dish, installation, etc., should be covered. Only way to find out for certain is to call and ask.

#3 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

There's a International Language Group that handles all of the international dish options. Keep in mind that if you have HD or live in certain markets (where the 119 satellite is required) you will need two dishes.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#4 OFFLINE   leechuck

leechuck

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

I don't have HD, just mandarin direct which I found the programming is no longer appealing with locals.

#5 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Usually there is a $49 charge (plus tax and possibly shipping charges) for the installation but generally no charge for the dish itself.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,359 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

which dish you currently have?  IIRC, both packages comes from the 95 satellite.  Does your dish says "World Direct" on it?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

The MandarinDirect III comes out of the 95 and the ChineseDirect is out of the 119 like Jadworld was.  I assume he is talking about ChineseDirect when he references Cantonese.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

which dish you currently have?  IIRC, both packages comes from the 95 satellite.  Does your dish says "World Direct" on it?

Just to note:

If the TS has an International dish, it might not necessarily say "World Direct" on it if its the DTV66E model: 

http://www.solidsign...?mc=02&p=DTV66E

If its the model DTV36EDS, it does say it though:

http://store.satelli...Dish_p_224.html

Edited by HoTat2, 29 May 2013 - 05:41 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,359 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

that dish (first link) has not been installed in the past (at least) 5 years.  but who knows!!!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   leechuck

leechuck

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

The dish does say world direct on the dish. This dish was install to get mandarin direct channels and I do see Filipino, Korean, Vietnamese channels on the listing. I never seen jade world channels on the listing with this dish

#11 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

The dish does say world direct on the dish. This dish was install to get mandarin direct channels and I do see Filipino, Korean, Vietnamese channels on the listing. I never seen jade world channels on the listing with this dish

A SL5 will pick up the 119 for the ChineseDirect, so the world direct dish isn't needed.  Do you know if your other dish is a SL3 or SL5?

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,359 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

A SL5 will pick up the 119 for the ChineseDirect, so the world direct dish isn't needed.  Do you know if your other dish is a SL3 or SL5?

Not quite, The Food Network Asia channel 2104 in on the 95, so the OP TS will need both a dish that can pick up the 119 and the international dish.

Edited by peds48, 31 May 2013 - 05:45 AM.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Not quite, The Food Network Asia channel 2104 in on the 95, so the OP will need both a dish that can pick up the 119 and the international dish.

The Food Network Asia is listed out of the 119.  It's also part of the MandarinDirect III and that package would include several channels from the 95, so the world direct dish would be included with any order including that package.

#14 OFFLINE   leechuck

leechuck

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

Only one big dish world direct

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

picture it

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:16 AM

that dish (first link) has not been installed in the past (at least) 5 years.  but who knows!!!

Oh Ok;

Didn't know that and actually thought the two were presently being installed concurrently. 

You know, and just out of historical interest regarding the 95w international dish, I've always wondered about what I assume was the early first generation ODU pictured in the following attachment.     

5-31-2013 6-26-31 PM.png

On occasion I still see just about every other type of long obsolete DIRECTV dish mounted on a home or building somewhere except this one. 

Sorry about the somewhat blurry-ness of the image, but had to copy it from an old installation video in small format since its hard to find any photos of this particular dish on the web. Can't even find a model number for it.

It apparently had a blank round 36" (I think) diameter dish with a flange on the perimeter with two struts along with the main LNB arm supporting the LNB(s).

Dish had no tilt adjustment since its not an elliptical dish. The linear LNB once aimed at 95w had to be manually rotated in its collar while watching an attached field strength meter to line up its horizontal plane of reception with that of the horizontal polarization from the satellite. Then if a 101 LNB was needed it had to be mounted then manually adjusted to a higher, even, or lower, angle relative to the linear LNB to match the angle of the Clarke belt from the dish location.

Bet this thing was a real pain to setup at the time ...   

Edited by HoTat2, 01 June 2013 - 05:21 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,359 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Oh Ok;

Didn't know that and actually thought the two were presently being installed concurrently. 

You know, and just out of historical interest regarding the 95w international dish, I've always wondered about what I assume was the early first generation ODU pictured in the following attachment.     

attachicon.gif5-31-2013 6-26-31 PM.png

On occasion I still see just about every other type of long obsolete DIRECTV dish mounted on a home or building somewhere except this one. 

Sorry about the somewhat blurry-ness of the image, but had to copy it from an old installation video in small format since its hard to find any photos of this particular dish on the web. Can't even find a model number for it.

It apparently had a blank round 36" (I think) diameter dish with a flange on the perimeter with two struts along with the main LNB arm supporting the LNB(s).

Dish had no tilt adjustment since its not an elliptical dish. The linear LNB once aimed at 95w had to be manually rotated in its collar while watching an attached field strength meter to line up its horizontal plane of reception with that of the horizontal polarization from the satellite. Then if a 101 LNB was needed it had to be mounted then manually adjusted to a higher, even, or lower, angle relative to the linear LNB to match the angle of the Clarke belt from the dish location.

Bet this thing was a real pain to setup at the time ...   

While I have seen them, I have never "played" with those.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

the single dish is 95 + 101. For Jadeworld 119 is required so it would likely be a 2 dish install, since removal of the 95 dish is not likely. 

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#19 OFFLINE   leechuck

leechuck

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ok, thanks for all the information. I called direct tv and they told me it will cost me for a dish exchange with a 2 year agreement. No thanks

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

I would do it by myself ...

spam firewall