Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is the Super Buddy 29 necessary for Directv installs?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

I do Exede installs now, and the guy I work for just became a Directv dealer, so obviously we'll both be needing a good meter. It sounds like the Super Buddy is the best way to go, and that the regular Super Buddy is sufficient, and the Super Buddy 29 is able to power the old WildBlue Tria's, and some other stuff, but other than that, there is no difference, and not necessary for Directv. Just want to make sure that's true. Going to watch Ebay, and noticed the Super Buddy 29 is more.

Thanks in advance!

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

You can use the AIM meter as well. The Birdog is a favorite of installers because it's less expensive but if you do SWM installs be sure to get the Ultra as it will power the dish. There are also some other lower priced alternatives out there that power the dish as well. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

You can use the AIM meter as well. The Birdog is a favorite of installers because it's less expensive but if you do SWM installs be sure to get the Ultra as it will power the dish. There are also some other lower priced alternatives out there that power the dish as well. 

Thanks!

Someone told me the AIM meter doesn't hold up as well, and the guy I work for does some Dish installs, but not often, so he's looking for something that will do both, and apparently the Super Buddy will. The Birdog Ultra is something maybe I should look at then too.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#4 OFFLINE   Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

The SuperBuddy does hold up better, but costs a helluva lot more. AIM meters are awesome but extremely fragile. If you're still going to do excede as well, the SuperBuddy is probably your best option to begin with. 

#5 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

The SuperBuddy does hold up better, but costs a helluva lot more. AIM meters are awesome but extremely fragile. If you're still going to do excede as well, the SuperBuddy is probably your best option to begin with. 

Yeah, I've heard that the AIM doesn't hold up as well, but you pay for that, you're right. The Exede isn't a concern, as no meter is needed, and I've never touched an old WildBlue system. Most people that have a service call end up upgrading. My one concern might be that if I did any Dish installs, that the Super Buddy would have me covered, and I wouldn't get that with the AIM meter.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#6 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 884 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

The SuperBuddys will NOT lock on DirecTV's ka signal

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

neither the Birdog.  for these reason the AIM is preferred for DirecTV at least

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Stuart not sure the Birdog is less expensive than the AIM.  When I bought my Birdog Ultra from Solid signal I believe it was $650 and the AIM which I bought as well was $450

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 918 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

It all depends on what type account you have setup with who you order it from. I bought an Ultra from P-10 for $479 but I have a reseller account with them.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

it should help to point out that I bought the ULTRA about 5 years ago., the AIM about 3
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...