Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

directv work on Xbox One with passthrough

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chintups3

chintups3

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

I didnt see anything on DirecTV in that clip.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#3 OFFLINE   chintups3

chintups3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

look again u will see direct tv ui and on guide it say directv next to time 

#4 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

From DirecTV's facebook: " We don't have plans to make DIRECTV accessible to Xbox"

IMO, another layer to add more slowness is the last thing we need. DirecTV has already made their latest box voice controlled, which is about all Xbox brings to the table.

EDIT: Hmm... you're right. That's DirecTV alright. There's even a DirecTV remote on the coffee table. I guess they forgot to tell their rep on facebook.

Edited by mdavej, 29 May 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#5 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

What's going on here seems very similar to what happened with GoogleTV:  DIRECTV chose not to integrate.  It probably still has the ability to control the receiver, but it probably won't (given DIRECTV's answer to the question) have access to the recorded content and PPV in the way that GoogleTV does on subscribed DISH DVRs.

• JBv likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

From DirecTV's facebook: " We don't have plans to make DIRECTV accessible to Xbox"

IMO, another layer to add more slowness is the last thing we need. DirecTV has already made their latest box voice controlled, which is about all Xbox brings to the table.

EDIT: Hmm... you're right. That's DirecTV alright. There's even a DirecTV remote on the coffee table. I guess they forgot to tell their rep on facebook.

Well it has an HDMI passthrough controlled by either CEC or IR Blasters. So it can work with DirecTV, DISH, Cox, Time Warner, TiVo, any cable box, and the cable company wouldn't have to support this at all. In this case since no DirecTV receivers support CEC it would need to be with IR blasters or possibly IP control if Microsoft spent the time to write an IP control layer for a DirecTV receiver.

Edit: I see harsh beat me to it!

Edited by JBv, 29 May 2013 - 03:59 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

very interesting if DirecTV decides to go ahead with this

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,128 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

It has an HDMI input so it will take any settop box with HDMI outputs and uses an IR blaster to change channels. Although it will be interesting to see if it's just the Xbox communicating during the HDMI handshake or will it also pass the TV's information along so DirecTV's 3D content will work with it. Also, if they will pass the 5.1 audio along too or if you need to make a seperate composite or optical connection to your AV receiver to get 5.1 sound.

The funny thing is when they go to "Snap live tv" a few seconds later, the recent channel numbers are not DirecTV's lineup.

Edited by KyL416, 29 May 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   tv.fan

tv.fan

Cool Member

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

From DirecTV's facebook: " We don't have plans to make DIRECTV accessible to Xbox"

ANOTHER reason to drop ANY content provider who has voice controlled boxes BECAUSE that voice control is another way for internet hooked-up boxes to listen in to what is going on in ones house and send it live back to anyone who has access to that signal, SICK SICK SICK - More intrusions of privacy on ones house.
  • lokar and moghedien like this

#10 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

That would be very neat if this were to happend.

#11 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

ANOTHER reason to drop ANY content provider who has voice controlled boxes BECAUSE that voice control is another way for internet hooked-up boxes to listen in to what is going on in ones house and send it live back to anyone who has access to that signal, SICK SICK SICK - More intrusions of privacy on ones house.

Not only is it listening to every word you say, but the Kinect is also watching your every move. While I think the Xbox One is interesting, I have no plans at all to ever get one. I think it is indeed an invasion of privacy, and that the voice/gesture control is a worthless gimmick, as is live tv integration altogether. It didn't work for Google TV, and I don't think it's going to be a compelling or useful feature for the Xbox either. Just another layer of crap.

Nothing against those who like the feature. It just adds no value for me and has a lot of drawbacks (cost, privacy, slowness, limited functionality (no DVR), etc.).

#12 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

It has an HDMI input so it will take any settop box with HDMI outputs and uses an IR blaster to change channels. Although it will be interesting to see if it's just the Xbox communicating during the HDMI handshake or will it also pass the TV's information along so DirecTV's 3D content will work with it. Also, if they will pass the 5.1 audio along too or if you need to make a seperate composite or optical connection to your AV receiver to get 5.1 sound.

The funny thing is when they go to "Snap live tv" a few seconds later, the recent channel numbers are not DirecTV's lineup.

HDCP may get in the way

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#13 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

HDCP may get in the way

Microsoft surely has an HDCP license, so they can produce a box that will decode the HDMI signal, overlay their crap onto it, then re-encode it with HDCP (if it had it before, or maybe regardless of whether it had it before) at the output.

This is pretty pointless, because it can't get any information from the satellite receivers, cable boxes, Tivos etc. It can only know what you're doing if you're watching live TV, assuming it handles the channel changing for you. It will want to overlay its graphics onto the video signal being fed into your TV which already has graphics on it from the receiver. Yeah, that'll be pretty. I guess they're hoping they'll get some providers to work with them on this, but I fail to see why any of them would be interested in letting Microsoft take over the viewer's experience. Unless Microsoft pays them.

Only Microsoft would look at the situation with TV today and think 'what consumers really need is another box between the viewer and the content'

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#14 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

WOW! 

Edited by west99999, 29 May 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

DirecTV Wok, super HD, Sports programming AND stir-fry.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#16 OFFLINE   tv.fan

tv.fan

Cool Member

• 23 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Not only is it listening to every word you say, but the Kinect is also watching your every move. While I think the Xbox One is interesting, I have no plans at all to ever get one. I think it is indeed an invasion of privacy, and that the voice/gesture control is a worthless gimmick, as is live tv integration altogether. It didn't work for Google TV, and I don't think it's going to be a compelling or useful feature for the Xbox either. Just another layer of crap.

Nothing against those who like the feature. It just adds no value for me and has a lot of drawbacks (cost, privacy, slowness, limited functionality (no DVR), etc.).

Which is why I have no game system with a video camera or audio, nor any laptop with a camera or mic, nor any ipads/iphones or cell phones......

#17 OFFLINE   tv.fan

tv.fan

Cool Member

• 23 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

WOW!

by your wow, I gather you think i am wrong, well look at this link - http://edition.cnn.c...suit/index.html

Same concept, any item with built-in cam and/or mic can be used to ILLEGALLY spy on someone and violate their privacy.

Edited by tv.fan, 29 May 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Microsoft surely has an HDCP license, so they can produce a box that will decode the HDMI signal, overlay their crap onto it, then re-encode it with HDCP (if it had it before, or maybe regardless of whether it had it before) at the output.

This is pretty pointless, because it can't get any information from the satellite receivers, cable boxes, Tivos etc. It can only know what you're doing if you're watching live TV, assuming it handles the channel changing for you. It will want to overlay its graphics onto the video signal being fed into your TV which already has graphics on it from the receiver. Yeah, that'll be pretty. I guess they're hoping they'll get some providers to work with them on this, but I fail to see why any of them would be interested in letting Microsoft take over the viewer's experience. Unless Microsoft pays them.

Only Microsoft would look at the situation with TV today and think 'what consumers really need is another box between the viewer and the content'

but what about the copy flags in show that decode may trip them.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#19 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

but what about the copy flags in show that decode may trip them.

Why? They aren't copying, they're passing it through and overlaying. The Xbox One only passes through HDMI, it has no ability to record, or even do any sort of trick play features, so no copy is made or stored.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#20 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

by your wow, I gather you think i am wrong, well look at this link - http://edition.cnn.c...suit/index.html

Same concept, any item with built-in cam and/or mic can be used to ILLEGALLY spy on someone and violate their privacy.

Just curious if you think it would be Microsoft doing the spying or some other entity gaining access to the camera? Surely Microsoft has a lot more to lose by doing this than they have to gain by spying.

Privacy concerns are legit, but this seems to be going to an extreme. Like someone else said, I assume you have no webcams on any of your computers or cell phones. It's the exact same risk.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...