Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

directv work on Xbox One with passthrough

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Speaking of Xbox, insiders are saying Microsoft lost the console war with the XBOX One, and it isn't even out yet. semiaccurate.com/2013/05/22/microsoft-subtly-admits-losing-with-xbox-one/ www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx_mobile.html Wonder where Microsoft is going at with this....

Who are these so-called "insiders"? Leo Yim, the guy who wrote the article?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

All your paranoia, but you're surfing the internet? lol

There's a big difference between occasional forum posts and a 24x7 live web cam in your living room. Besides the privacy issues, there are plenty of other reasons to avoid the One, like very limited used games capability and this half-assed TV interface.

#43 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

There's a big difference between occasional forum posts and a 24x7 live web cam in your living room. Besides the privacy issues, there are plenty of other reasons to avoid the One, like very limited used games capability and this half-assed TV interface.

You can turn off the kinect.  It's not on 24x7.  We also don't have all the details regarding how used games will be handled.  

Edited by archer75, 10 June 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

What's with Microsoft lately? Windows 8, now Xbox one?

Bingo. And before that it was Vista oh gawd.

#45 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

You can turn off the kinect. It's not on 24x7. We also don't have all the details regarding how used games will be handled.

Then you lose voice/gesture commands. I wouldn't have any problem if all that sound/picture data stayed on the box rather than getting uplinked to some data warehouse. In light of the current NSA scandal, are none of you the least bit concerned about this?

#46 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,720 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

I will not buy it.  PS4 looks better and is $100 cheaper out of the gate.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#47 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,797 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

The responses to Gamestop's Facebook preorder announcement were hilarious. Here's a few, but you'll need to zoom in...

Attached Thumbnails

• 946493_10100454119383023_1508098663_n.jpg

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#48 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

Then you lose voice/gesture commands. I wouldn't have any problem if all that sound/picture data stayed on the box rather than getting uplinked to some data warehouse. In light of the current NSA scandal, are none of you the least bit concerned about this?

But it's off. You don't need voice/gesture commands when it's off.  I have a 360 now with a kinect and I never use the kinect for that.

And not all that data is sent to microsoft.  You choose to go in and share video/images.

#49 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Privacy concerns are legitimate, but there's a lot of misinformation out there.

http://winsupersite....ncerns-debunked

For me, the biggest issue is the $500 price tag.

#50 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

It would not surprise me that all XB1 games will require the Kinect for full functionality.

#51 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Privacy concerns are legitimate, but there's a lot of misinformation out there.

http://winsupersite....ncerns-debunked

For me, the biggest issue is the $500 price tag.

Huge gamer here with a 360 and PS3.

The price in general with gaming is getting just over the top with DLC's now being available on the 1st day....which with a $60 price tag should already be included....and this trend seems to be getting worse.

#52 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

But it's off. You don't need voice/gesture commands when it's off.  I have a 360 now with a kinect and I never use the kinect for that.

And not all that data is sent to microsoft.  You choose to go in and share video/images.

But this thread is about DirecTV integration, for which voice/gesture control is a core feature. It will be on whenever you use it to watch TV, which I gather from this forum is close to 24x7, unless you don't use the kinect at all. If that's the case why use it with DirecTV at all? If you do use it, then it knows what you watch, what you talk about and what you look like. As I said before, maybe they'll use all that data, maybe they won't. Is the default to share or not to share? I never noticed.

What I dislike the most is that my personal space disappears a little more with every technological advance. Why does progress require giving up all your privacy? Europeans don't accept that. I don't understand why we have no problem with it.

Edited by mdavej, 11 June 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

The responses to Gamestop's Facebook preorder announcement were hilarious. Here's a few, but you'll need to zoom in...

Lol thats just sad.

Huge gamer here with a 360 and PS3.

The price in general with gaming is getting just over the top with DLC's now being available on the 1st day....which with a $60 price tag should already be included....and this trend seems to be getting worse.

Agree. I think if you pay $60 for the game then the downloadable content should be free by using a one time code supplied with the game to allow for all future DLC to be downloaded no charge. Unless the DLC is an all new game itself like they did with GTA 4 (The Lost/The Ballad). Something about asking people to pay 60 then pay more for something like a character doesn't seem right to me. Now for online gaming where the game itself is free I am down to pay for extra content all day.

Edited by Volatility, 11 June 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

But this thread is about DirecTV integration, for which voice/gesture control is a core feature. It will be on whenever you use it to watch TV, which I gather from this forum is close to 24x7, unless you don't use the kinect at all. If that's the case why use it with DirecTV at all? If you do use it, then it knows what you watch, what you talk about and what you look like. As I said before, maybe they'll use all that data, maybe they won't. Is the default to share or not to share? I never noticed.

What I dislike the most is that my personal space disappears a little more with every technological advance. Why does progress require giving up all your privacy? Europeans don't accept that. I don't understand why we have no problem with it.

I imagine it would know what you watch.  But so does direct tv.  The receivers track all that info and gives it back to the networks.  The networks do track DVR usage and they all do it.  But then I want them to know what I watch.  Maybe they'll stop cancelling all my shows ;)

It's not monitoring your conversations and recording them.  It's awaiting voice commands.

Also, there are smart tv's with the same functionality built in.  Voice and gesture.

To share something you have to tell it to do so.  

If you are concerned you simply don't watch TV with it.  It's not as if you have to.  It only adds voice commands if that interests you.  Personally I don't care about that.

I guess I just don't see how i'm losing any privacy.  It's not filming you and capturing every moment.  It's really no different than a controller. Just another tool to give the box commands.  If you share a video it's from gameplay.  Some games like dance central capture gameplay of you dancing but you have to tell it to share that video.  It does none of that by default.  

No different than the 360 and the kinect now. 

Edited by archer75, 11 June 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#55 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

Lol thats just sad.Agree. I think if you pay $60 for the game then the downloadable content should be free by using a one time code supplied with the game to allow for all future DLC to be downloaded no charge. Unless the DLC is an all new game itself like they did with GTA 4 (The Lost/The Ballad). Something about asking people to pay 60 then pay more for something like a character doesn't seem right to me. Now for online gaming where the game itself is free I am down to pay for extra content all day.

Right. Also, I have no issue with paying for DLC in general but it is almost laughable how light most DLC content is even by most of the major games.

I was under the assumption that DLC'S today was going to give us actual content worth some time playing

#56 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

I imagine it would know what you watch.  But so does direct tv.  The receivers track all that info and gives it back to the networks.  The networks do track DVR usage and they all do it.  But then I want them to know what I watch.  Maybe they'll stop cancelling all my shows ;)

This is what I've been thinking.  I don't mind that google keeps up with my searches because that makes my searches more accurate in the future.  So many people focusing on the con's and avoiding the pro's. 

If some are too paranoid to have anything that gives information back to any specific group, why not turn off your utilities so no one knows how much power/water/gas you use.  Definitely cancel those credit cards so they don't know how much money you are spending and where.  Otherwise you might get special offers from places you usually shop or for items you usually buy so you can save money later.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#57 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Why is a desire for privacy equated to paranoia? If a bunch of strangers waltzed into your living room and sat down and proceeded to watch and listen to your every move, and you kicked them out of your house, does that make you paranoid or does it simply mean you value your privacy? I simply don't like being observed by people or machines my every waking moment. I realize most tracking is unavoidable in the modern world, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. And the fact that I don't like it doesn't make me a tin-foil-hat-wearing nutcase.

This post will probably result in me seeing endless ads for tin-foil hats for the next 6 months. Maybe I should buy one...

• HerntDawg likes this

#58 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,314 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Why is a desire for privacy equated to paranoia? If a bunch of strangers waltzed into your living room and sat down and proceeded to watch and listen to your every move, and you kicked them out of your house, does that make you paranoid or does it simply mean you value your privacy? I simply don't like being observed by people or machines my every waking moment. I realize most tracking is unavoidable in the modern world, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. And the fact that I don't like it doesn't make me a tin-foil-hat-wearing nutcase.

This post will probably result in me seeing endless ads for tin-foil hats for the next 6 months. Maybe I should buy one...

Maybe I should start a business selling tin foil hats. with this and the NSA scandal I think I could be a millionaire....

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#59 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

That's pretty cool.  Now I just need a fax machine in the wall.

#60 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Agreed. With the NSA thing I already knew the Govt. monitors their citizens, especially moreso post 9/11. For example, Verizon Wireless is not the only cell phone company that reports information back to the Govt. either, that is the only cell phone company that was mentioned. They probably all do it. With Google saving searches, they also are not the only search tool to do so. I know Bing and Ask does it aswell. And I would not doubt if DirecTV gives them info as well on their customers.

If some are too paranoid to have anything that gives information back to any specific group, why not turn off your utilities so no one knows how much power/water/gas you use.  Definitely cancel those credit cards so they don't know how much money you are spending and where.  Otherwise you might get special offers from places you usually shop or for items you usually buy so you can save money later.

It has nothing at all to do with paranoria. It has to do with the Govt. deliberately violating our right to privacy as set forth by the constitution by our founding fathers. Of which I would not be suprised if the current president has never even read.

Edited by Volatility, 12 June 2013 - 06:47 PM.

• HerntDawg likes this

spam firewall