Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

directv work on Xbox One with passthrough

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Seems like my car - it's quicker to press buttons than to say, for example, "Sirius Channel 60".

DirecTV customer since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

Seems like my car - it's quicker to press buttons than to say, for example, "Sirius Channel 60".

I told my son that.  His reply was: "This is way cooler!"  Yesterday, I sat for awhile with everything off upstairs and listened to him talk to the Xbox.  There seems to be some sort of blockage in his brain.  He also thinks watching TV on an iPad or his phone is a viable alternative to the 58" TV he sits in front of.

Rich 

#83 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

Its only cool because it is different. Once the novelty wears off it won't be cool any longer.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#84 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Its only cool because it is different. Once the novelty wears off it won't be cool any longer.

yup, same like 3D.

• pdxBeav likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#85 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

Oh yeah.  He's still babbling to the Xbox, but I'm pretty sure that will wear off.

Rich

#86 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

yup, same like 3D.

I wonder, in total, how much that debacle cost the industry.  Every company involved must have lost money.  Something we'll never know.

Rich

#87 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

I wonder, in total, how much that debacle cost the industry.  Every company involved must have lost money.  Something we'll never know.

Rich

It may not have cost them much at all. Think of how many consumers were fooled into buying a higher end model than they otherwise would have to get 3D, thinking it was the future. 4K will be much the same, though the way LCDs are made will make 4K essentially 'free' to add after a few years.

Once they've squeezed all the profit out of 4K, I'm sure they'll start talking about 8K, they gotta have a reason to get people to consider something other than size and price when buying or the Chinese vendors will take over.

#88 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

It may not have cost them much at all. Think of how many consumers were fooled into buying a higher end model than they otherwise would have to get 3D, thinking it was the future. 4K will be much the same, though the way LCDs are made will make 4K essentially 'free' to add after a few years.

Once they've squeezed all the profit out of 4K, I'm sure they'll start talking about 8K, they gotta have a reason to get people to consider something other than size and price when buying or the Chinese vendors will take over.

I dunno.  I think they had great expectations that just didn't materialize.  They did kinda try to shove 3D down our throats, when you think about it.  I bought a 3D Panny plasma, but I bought it for the great 2D PQ.  If I had to take a wild guess, I'd guess that one of these new things will catch on and the chaos will settle down.

Rich

#89 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Rich, have you watched any 3D on one of those new sets of yours?  I have a handful of new BD movies that came out in 3D, and the regular 2D disk comes with it so it wasnt a big deal, but some of them are stunning in 3D.  I watch them on my Panny GT50 model, which as you probably already know has a stellar 2D picture, as well as one of the best rated 3D available for the consumer market.

Monsters, Inc.

Prometheus

The Hobbit...

Just to name a few....

Edited by CCarncross, 27 November 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#90 OFFLINE   booboo

booboo

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

Privacy is long gone. Did you adopt a web cam? Do you use a front facing camera cell phone? Do you have a tablet or iPad with same said camera? It's crazy we throw a fit now. Why didn't we throw this fit when web cams were all the rage. You can buy and sell used games all you want. They reversed the policy long ago. You don't need the kinect to play the xbox one. Anyways this thread is about xbox one pass through ability with directv.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
B00BOO

#91 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

Privacy is long gone. Did you adopt a web cam? Do you use a front facing camera cell phone? Do you have a tablet or iPad with same said camera? It's crazy we throw a fit now. Why didn't we throw this fit when web cams were all the rage. You can buy and sell used games all you want. They reversed the policy long ago. You don't need the kinect to play the xbox one. Anyways this thread is about xbox one pass through ability with directv.

That's not the same as having a device with face recognition and voice recognition watching/listening 24x7.

Just because you've given up on privacy don't mean others have as well. Did you remove the curtains in your house? I mean, since "privacy is long gone" you might as well let anyone who wants see in your bedroom and those of your children.

#92 OFFLINE   booboo

booboo

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

That's to the extreme. I was referring to electronic privacy. Voice recognition and facial recognition can be extracted from smart phones. Either way use it or not I don't care. I will use my xbox one with kinect. If they want to spy on me and my house damn they are bored. As goes with most houses. If the NSA or any government body needs to filter info from any source to save just ONE innocent American I'm good with it.

B00BOO

#93 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

Back on-topic - Did anybody pick up an XBOX One?  If so, what was your experience with D*?

DirecTV customer since 1996

#94 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Rich, have you watched any 3D on one of those new sets of yours?  I have a handful of new BD movies that came out in 3D, and the regular 2D disk comes with it so it wasnt a big deal, but some of them are stunning in 3D.  I watch them on my Panny GT50 model, which as you probably already know has a stellar 2D picture, as well as one of the best rated 3D available for the consumer market.

Monsters, Inc.

Prometheus

The Hobbit...

Just to name a few....

I actually bought the glasses.  I will watch a 3-D movie one of these days.  Thing is, I wear glasses and I don't like wearing the glasses over glasses thing.  Last time I tried, I got a headache pretty quickly.  

Rich

#95 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Back on-topic - Did anybody pick up an XBOX One?  If so, what was your experience with D*?

As I said in an earlier post, we have one.  Well, my son uses it, but I've watched him put it thru it's paces and I'm glad he put out the $500 for it, not me.  We did try it using his 24 (don't have a clue which model number it is) and D* passes thru it without any glitches.  I have seen complaints about the disc trays and discs making noises, but we don't have any problems yet.

Rich

#96 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

I have a Xbox 360 since 2011 with "voice" - but I don't talk to it and it doesn't talk to me - I use the Apps- HBO-GO -History channel and many others with no viewing issue's -just download the app - go to the web site (pc-tablet-cel phone) for the Auth code as long as D* is listed as the provider and the App works on the xbox - It does have more content that what is offered on the D* on demand guide listing.  Also use it as a Cable box for comcast digital tv sub only with high speed internet Xfinity App works well and get extra 1000 "free" movies + networks and such for streaming in HD without paying for a HD cable box from comcast.

YMMV

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#97 OFFLINE   iceburg02

iceburg02

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

I grabbed one on launch day and have been using it with D*.  Because I'm in a short-term rental, I don't have my usual elaborate A/V setup which made for easy testing.  I just have an HR44 going through the Xbox which feeds a 40" Sony LCD.  No receiver or speakers until we're in the new house (not worth the trouble).

The voice controls work pretty well.  Some stations are recognized much better than others (ESPN worked off the bat, Disney Junior takes some training).  It recognizes users' faces very quickly, and the response time is short.

I had to restart the Xbox a couple times because of lost audio.  The HDMI passthrough is clearly not ready for primetime.  You've probably read that it won't pass DD 5.1, but you can always run a toslink cable from the Xbox to a receiver to address that.  Channel changes that require resolution changes aren't exactly speedy, but you could make that case without the Xbox in the mix.

The blaster capability of the Kinect unit is impressive.  I have my components in a cabinet with the Kinect sitting on top of the cabinet.  It's bouncing signals off a wall 15 feet away and back into the cabinet with no problem whatsoever.  I didn't think that would work as well as it does.

At this point, I'd say the Xbox' interaction with D* is more of a novelty than a true functional improvement, but that may be enough for some.  When I move again in a couple months, I'll probably drop the D*  feed from the Xbox and just use it as a gaming platform and Blu-ray player, but we'll see how the next couple of months go.

cheers

#98 OFFLINE   wheelbug

wheelbug

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Does anyone have the xbox one in live tv mode showing local channels (OTA antenna) incorporated in the live tv guide?  The directv OTA box incorporates them in the directv guide.

If I start xbox one while on a local channel it displays through the xbox even though it is not shown in the guide.  When I go to a different non local channel I can't get back to a local channel on the xbox.

#99 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

My son says he cannot access the Playlist and can't watch any recorded content using the Xbox.  He's done his homework, he says and Microsoft is supposed to be working on a patch for this issue.  Meanwhile, he's disconnected the HR from the Xbox.

Rich

#100 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

You've probably read that it won't pass DD 5.1, but you can always run a toslink cable from the Xbox to a receiver to address that. 

It works for me, you have to enable it in settings. They are labeling it beta because it doesn't work with every cable box, but it works with DirecTV receivers. See here: https://support.xbox...und-not-working

My son says he cannot access the Playlist and can't watch any recorded content using the Xbox.  He's done his homework, he says and Microsoft is supposed to be working on a patch for this issue.  Meanwhile, he's disconnected the HR from the Xbox.

Rich

Do you mean with voice control? If so, that's true, but otherwise it functions identically to when it's not hooked up to Xbox One. Playlist etc. work just fine using the remote.

Edited by Dan B, 04 December 2013 - 06:15 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...