Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   westview

westview

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

A friend has Dish. He says he a little box plugged into the back of his receiver to pick up locals. Is it that simple?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Yeah, with a receiver that allows it and a antenna is plugged into it.   Also, some dish receivers have this capability built into them and just require an OTA antenna plugged into them.

#3 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

The Hoppers can accept a single-tuner USB OTA adapter (must be Dish's own) which, when connected to an antenna, allows you to receive and record OTA channels.  I have one, and the tuner is fairly robust.  The software in the Hoppers is somewhat incomplete, in that you cannot manually add channels, and a rescan of channels erases previously found channels if they aren't found again.  Note that adding an OTA tuner effectively increases the number of programs you can record at once by one, provided one of them is on an OTA channel.

In my experience, the OTA picture is vastly superior to the HD Local-into-Local I receive from Dish.  This will vary by market, and most people probably will not detect the differences.  However, the lack of color depth and motion artifacting are glaringly obvious to me on my local channels.

#4 OFFLINE   westview

westview

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

So he has to be connected to an antenna?

#5 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Yes it needs to have an antenna  attached to it.

RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

Well...  in some areas it is technically possible to receive some local transmissions without an antenna connected or with a minimal one.  I can connect a small wire to my antenna connector and pick up a few channels.  I also have used the UHF remote antenna on Dish receivers to pick up several local channels.

So... the better the antenna, the more likely you are to receive local channels... but it is hard to say it isn't possible anywhere to receive one or some without an antenna as long as you have the built-in support or the add-on module installed.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

So he has to be connected to an antenna?

If you go to www.antennaweb.org. or www.tvfool.com enter your address it will tell you what type of antenna you need and which stations you can receive.Good Luck!. :)

#8 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

OTA is a very good thing to have as a backup when the weather prevents reception of DBS signals. (e.g. what I'm experiancing right now in North Carolina). All my TVs either have a builtin ATSC tuner or they have a convertor box.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#9 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

Many times when the HD signals bails due to weather the SD eqivalent channel is still available

AT250 with ViP 722 via HDMI to 47" LG in living room and 27" JVC in exercise room. ViP 722 via HDMI to 42" Panny in master bedroom and 27" Philips in another bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

Many times when the HD signals bails due to weather the SD eqivalent channel is still available

This doesn't apply to folks on eastern arc and their LiLs...  Dish only has HD LiLs up on eastern arc for the ones that they carry... so you don't have that "backup" of SD LiLs.  Also, if you lose signal on the "backup" it is nice to have OTA as well.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 734 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Also keep in mind that Dish offers locals via satellite.  The 722K OTA module sounds like it is better than the Hopper's OTA module.  It allows you to record or watch 2 OTA channels in addition to the 2 satellite tuners.  Also, the 722K doesn't erase existing OTA channels when you scan for new ones like the Hopper.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#12 OFFLINE   fpembleton

fpembleton

Mentor

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

I never thought much about exploring OTA, been with Dish now about 13 years. Once the terrestrial stations went digital and I read about the sub- channels I purchased the OTA hardware that was required for the Dish receiver in which I wanted to view such. I use an indoor antenna and I was amazed and pleased with the expansion of channels; some of the content I now receive via the sub- channels included Retro TV, Antenna TV, Me TV and a few more which I really enjoy. This is not a large market but I do receive a total of 20 OTA channels compared to the 7 which Dish has in the local channel lineup. Not bad in my opinion.

"Revenge is the weak pleasure of a narrow mind"

#13 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

I see the following when choosing to play a recording on Over The Air.

"A problem was encountered when opening the files for this DVR event. Please note the error
code: 04."?

I did not know I created a file on the Hopper DVR. I thought these are TV shows?

This is when I taped a show on a station that for some reason has not TV show information on the on screen guide.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#14 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

I had this error when the recording was interrupted for some period of time on SAT channels. The recording was corrupted. If you recorded an OTA show then it is on your DVR.

Edited by thomasjk, 09 February 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

Yes this is what happened. Other recordings play fine from over the air.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

The converse is also true unless the HD and SD signals come from the same orbital slot.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 666 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

No more problems. All recordings are fine. Must have been a glitch of some sort.

#18 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 666 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

I would like to know how far away is the TV station you can view from your location? How far away is this station. What aerial are you using to receive these stations?

This will give me an idea of aerial to purchase.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

#19 OFFLINE   lotusguy

lotusguy

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hopefully someone on this forum can answer this....Dish tech support cannot  :eek2:

I have a VIP722 and I am using all three tuners - 2 satellitle and 1 OTA.  I would like to select one of the OTA sub-channels by using the remote control  keypad. For example, if I want to watch 05-03, I can go into the guide and scroll to it and select it, or I can select channel 5 on the keypad and wait until channel 5 (satellite) displays and then hit the up arrow three times.  If I type 0503 on the keypad, I get channel 503 as I would expect. There must be a way to select sub channels from the keypad, but I have hot figured it out.  Any help?  :bang

#20 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hopefully someone on this forum can answer this....Dish tech support cannot  :eek2:

I have a VIP722 and I am using all three tuners - 2 satellitle and 1 OTA.  I would like to select one of the OTA sub-channels by using the remote control  keypad. For example, if I want to watch 05-03, I can go into the guide and scroll to it and select it, or I can select channel 5 on the keypad and wait until channel 5 (satellite) displays and then hit the up arrow three times.  If I type 0503 on the keypad, I get channel 503 as I would expect. There must be a way to select sub channels from the keypad, but I have hot figured it out.  Any help?  :bang

Try 00503

Protected By... spam firewall...And...