Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do you need whole home enabled for IP access to receivers?

Best Answer slice1900 , 03 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for the help. I tried it again today and did exactly what I did before (plugging it into that old router) and did a red button reset on the H24, and it acquired an address with DHCP no problem.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

I am trying to play around with IP control of an H24-700, so I wanted to get at its HTTP server, but I can't seem to get it to work via the ethernet connection.

Since I didn't have a connection to my router available in the location, I used an old wireless router and connected cat5 cables to the H24's ethernet port and to a laptop's ethernet port. I assumed each would pick up a DHCP address from the router, then I could poke at its HTTP server.

The H24 didn't seem to pick up a DHCP address, nor did I see anything in the menus to enable that. The screen to configure the address defaulted to the Windows autoconfig address (169.254.x.x) so I manually set an address. It appeared to take it (show OK for everything) but it errored out. I am guessing because it couldn't connect to the Internet? On the laptop I wasn't able to ping the address or connect to it at port 8080.

Is the problem the lack of whole home (or DVR service for that matter) enabled on my account? Or do the receivers refuse to configure properly unless it can get to the Internet? Or should it have worked how I was doing it, and I need to look into other possibilities?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

H24's work off their internal DECA in order to obtain an IP address. After you connect the ethernet cable, perform a menu reset of the receiver. If the DHCP server on the connected router is turned on, the H24 should obtain and IP address correctly.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

So it will enable DECA on the satellite coax? I guess I'll need to block that from the rest of the receivers, since there are many H20s that can't handle DECA signals. I suppose a diplexer will work as a temporary band stop filter substitute for the purposes of this experiment.

Thanks for the help! Dunno why I didn't think to reset the receiver, that should have been an obvious step for me to try...guess I'm too used to computer equipment that will usually notice the cable being plugged in and do DHCP right away.

#4 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 819 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

So it will enable DECA on the satellite coax? I guess I'll need to block that from the rest of the receivers, since there are many H20s that can't handle DECA signals. I suppose a diplexer will work as a temporary band stop filter substitute for the purposes of this experiment.

Thanks for the help! Dunno why I didn't think to reset the receiver, that should have been an obvious step for me to try...guess I'm too used to computer equipment that will usually notice the cable being plugged in and do DHCP right away.

Having an ethernet cable connected disables the internal DECA so you should be ok.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#5 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Having an ethernet cable connected disables the internal DECA so you should be ok.

Ah OK, good to know. Thanks!

#6 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:56 PM   Best Answer

Thanks for the help. I tried it again today and did exactly what I did before (plugging it into that old router) and did a red button reset on the H24, and it acquired an address with DHCP no problem.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...