Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sunday's NASCAR Race - Unavailable in Albany

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

My local FOX affiliate (WXXA) airs a telethon this weekend annually. They move the NASCAR race to their digital side channel, which DirecTV does not carry. Am I completely out of luck, or can I call them and request one of the east/west feeds turned on for me temporarily?

If hotpass were still available, I would't be complaining. And no, I'm  not going to hook up a dtv receiver just to pick it up.

Any input appreciated, especially from the CSR's.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

You are out of luck as they will not grant temp DNS.

#3 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

Let me tell you how the race will go.  Caution...  Caution...  Caution... Caution... Caution...  Caution...  Caution... Caution... Caution...  Caution...  Caution... Caution... Caution...  Caution...  Caution... Caution...

DirecTV customer since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Let me tell you how the race will go.  Caution...  Caution...  Caution... Caution... Caution...  Caution...  Caution... Caution... Caution...  Caution...  Caution... Caution... Caution...  Caution...  Caution... Caution...

You forgot left turn left turn left turn left turn left turn left turn left turn left turn :grin:

HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last race(Coca-Cola 600) the last one of the season on Fox?? I believe they switch to Espn and/or Speed............

Edited by Cyber36, 31 May 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

This is not watching the race but it is a Live leaderboard that I keep up on my laptop while I am watching the races sometimes.
http://www.nascar.co...cup-series.html

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last race(Coca-Cola 600) the last one of the season on Fox?? I believe they switch to Espn and/or Speed............

Nascar moves to TNT, ABC and ESPN starting after this race at Dover.

http://sports.yahoo....nascar/schedule

Edited by jimmie57, 31 May 2013 - 10:06 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Have you tried an OTA antenna to pick up the sub channels?  You would think major national events would take the first spot on local channels but the affiliates can do what they please(for the most part).  I believe NBC has the presidential debates on prior to the recent election(?) and there were several markets where the affiliates decided they would rather show re-runs of their old shows instead.  They received some unpleasant phone calls from their local viewers.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

My local FOX affiliate (WXXA) airs a telethon this weekend annually. They move the NASCAR race to their digital side channel, which DirecTV does not carry. Am I completely out of luck, or can I call them and request one of the east/west feeds turned on for me temporarily?

If hotpass were still available, I would't be complaining. And no, I'm  not going to hook up a dtv receiver just to pick it up.

Any input appreciated, especially from the CSR's.

If you are not far from the broadcast station can't you pick it up with a small indoor antenna and the digital tuner in your TV ?

I live 35 miles from the station and I can get a broadcast easily on most of the stations except it is difficult to get the ABC and CBS channels.

If I had a tiny bit better indoor antenna I could get them also.

#10 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

I said in my post that I would not be buying a DTV antenna. It's a 4 hour race, so that would be rediculous. I planned on having a bunch of neighbors over here for beers and the race, so that sucks. Moving the party to one of their houses instead.. Thanks for the leaderboard links. I follow a few people on twitter that give constant race updates as to what is going on. It's helpful if I'm out running errands and want to know what's going on.

#11 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

There's no such thing as a DTV antenna, it's just a marketing gimmick for antennas that are usually UHF only and have poor performance when it comes to the VHF band. Since WXXA uses VHF to broadcast many of those "DTV antennas" won't even work. If you still have an old pair of rabbit ears it would work better depending on where you are in relation to the station and if there's no major obstructions like mountains.

Even if you don't use it that much, having a backup antenna is a good resource in cases of emergencies. Like snow buildup on the dish during heavy wet snow, and like many of us in the northeast, unless there's no buildings or trees to the southwest, our dishes are usually higher up on the roof and not in a place that's easy to brush it off. It's also a quick way to get programming right away in the event of the lights blinking during a storm while the receiver reboots (especially when it comes to live sports). It can also be a way to watch additional programming if your DVR's tuners are tied up for recordings.

Just a warning though so you won't be surprised when you get to your friends house, since they moved the race to a subchannel it will not be available in HD or have surround sound.

#12 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

Good point. I don't watch much local TV though. I'm usually watching cable networks. It turns out the telethon was not on, so I'm able to watch my left turns at home.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...