Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All threads marked as unread

Best Answer Stewart Vernon , 30 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

That's one of the advantages of this new forum software that many (including me) like... the read/unread status is kept in the database... so if you login on a mobile device or another computer, it still knows what you read last time you logged in.  So no cookies involved in the read/unread status.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

I recently installed a new AV program that deletes cookies.  Does this forum keep track of which threads are unread in a cookie on my system?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,037 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:00 PM   Best Answer

That's one of the advantages of this new forum software that many (including me) like... the read/unread status is kept in the database... so if you login on a mobile device or another computer, it still knows what you read last time you logged in.  So no cookies involved in the read/unread status.

• scoop8 likes this

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#3 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:56 AM

Big advantage for my daily visits.  Saves time and it's a great feature of the new forum 2ywsbc7.jpg

DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,106 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

I guess my memory is really going because I thought the old software did the same thing.

#5 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

I guess my memory is really going because I thought the old software did the same thing.

With the old platform, it was intermittent with my setup.  Sometimes it would work.

#6 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

It did, Whatever device or PC I used it was always up to date with what I had read in previous visits.

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,037 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

I thought the old site used cookies... so it would be up to date if you always used the same browser, but if you cleared your cookies or used a different computer then it wouldn't remember everything properly.

#8 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

I thought the old site used cookies... so it would be up to date if you always used the same browser, but if you cleared your cookies or used a different computer then it wouldn't remember everything properly.

That's how it worked for me with the old platform.

#9 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

Correct. The old site with vBulletin did not sync across platforms, and it also reset to all read from visit to visit. If you visited for just a few minutes, and then came back hours later you totally lost your unread status.

The new site is fabulous by syncing within the IPB database, which allows me to move from PC to PC, or visit to visit, or to the iPhone or iPad, and I always have the unread thread status totally in sync. Absolutely awesome.

• David Bott and scoop8 like this

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#10 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

Correct. The old site with vBulletin did not sync across platforms, and it also reset to all read from visit to visit. If you visited for just a few minutes, and then came back hours later you totally lost your unread status.

The new site is fabulous by syncing within the IPB database, which allows me to move from PC to PC, or visit to visit, or to the iPhone or iPad, and I always have the unread thread status totally in sync. Absolutely awesome.

6gfuwz.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Well, something doesn't seem to be working as designed for me.  I frequent the DirecTV HD DVR thread.  I just scrolled back to the beginning of May, and all the threads are marked as unread.  I visited the thread yesterday, so the older threads should be marked as read.

Isn't this the way it's supposed to work?

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,037 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Things are only marked read when you actually open/read them...  So just going into the forum doesn't do it.  You actually have to open the thread and go to the end of the last new post.  IF, for example, you open the thread but don't go all the way to the last page or last post... then there are still unread posts in that thread.

#13 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Yep, it's marked read when the thread gets read.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#14 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Or use the options at the bottom to make the forum as read.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#15 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Well, it's still not behaving as I thought it used to behave.  Let me give an example.

Say I access the DTV HD DVR forum today at 6pm, and there are 25 threads with unread posts.  I want to browse the thread titles and only open and read the threads I am interested in.  Then I log off.  When I access the same forum tomorrow, I expect the 25 threads that had new postings today to be marked as read, and only the threads that have postings since my last logon to be marked as unread.

You are saying I can accomplish this by clicking the "Mark Community Read" link at the bottom of the page?  I thought this behavior used to be automatic.

And BTW, who marked my thread as "answered"?  Isn't that reserved for me?

#16 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,592 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

as they others said, you must open the thread in order for it to be marked as "read"

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

With the new site, IPB, a thread is marked read when either you actually open it and read it through the final page, or you mark the forum read, or you mark the the entire community as read.

Otherwise, each thread stays in bold and shows as unread, until you actually read the thread.

This is different from the old site, vBulletin.

For me personally, this is perfect, because I now can visit for a few minutes here and there, and always have the exact same unread status for a thread until I read it, and it stays in sync also across platforms as I jump from PC to PC to iPhone to iPad. All perfectly in sync, and a thread is never marked read until I actually read it or I mark the forum as read. It's also smart enough to know if I've not read all the pages in a thread.

vBulletin can also function the exact same way, I visit other sites that work this way, but DBSTalk used the vBulletin cookie option for saving unread status instead of storing the unread status in the database. I believe this was a performance issue with the old site, whereas IPB has a different architecture and can store the unread status in the database with performance that can be tolerated by DBSTalk management, which for me is wonderful. Gone are the days of needing to read the entire list of subscribed threads in one visit or risk losing all unread status from session to session.

• JR_Baas and scoop8 like this

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,037 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Well, it's still not behaving as I thought it used to behave.  Let me give an example.

Say I access the DTV HD DVR forum today at 6pm, and there are 25 threads with unread posts.  I want to browse the thread titles and only open and read the threads I am interested in.  Then I log off.  When I access the same forum tomorrow, I expect the 25 threads that had new postings today to be marked as read, and only the threads that have postings since my last logon to be marked as unread.

You are saying I can accomplish this by clicking the "Mark Community Read" link at the bottom of the page?  I thought this behavior used to be automatic.

And BTW, who marked my thread as "answered"?  Isn't that reserved for me?

You are right... it is not behaving as the old site behaved...  It is behaving correctly as the new site, however.

As noted in a couple of different replies..  no cookies are involved, all read status is handled in the database... also, you have to read something OR intentionally mark the thread read in order for it to count as read.

The old site marked everything as read when you logged out, even if you hadn't actually read anything...  this was a problem in cases where your browser crashed or something happens to kick you out before you were done and then the next time you login you had to hunt for all the stuff you really hadn't read.

With the new site, it stays unread until you read it OR mark it read.  That gives you all the control.

As for the "Mark Solved"...  In forums like this only the thread starter OR a moderator can mark a question solved.  Your original question was whether or not cookies were used, and the answer was that they are not...  you have since added other questions, so maybe there will be a new/better answer.  You OR any moderator can mark a different answer as the better answer OR you can choose to unmark the "solution" if you are still looking for a better answer.

#19 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

The answer was marked as answered based on your first post that started the thread.  

Thanks.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

spam firewall